close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommendations for External HD ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nolyn, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Nolyn

Nolyn

Looking to purchase an external HD for computer. Seem to be a LOT of options out there. Want 250 GB or larger. Need a good reliable and durable unit - none of this junk that lasts a couple of months and dies.

thanks

2. blinkin357

blinkin357

I've got five external drives now. The only ones that I've lost were Western Digital where I was unable to recover any of my photo images. For that reason, as well as confirmation from other computer geeks, I will NEVER buy another Western Digital drive.

3. Nolyn

Nolyn

Good input, thanks. My internet research is pointing to LaCie drives. Trouble with tech stuff is that you always get a lot of conflicting opinions.

4. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

Hmmm. Western sucks?

5. ackvil

ackvil CLM

I had a Maxtor one touch that gave up the ghost after three years. No warning: it just went dead.:shocked:

6. neeko

neeko

I'll take a WD over a Maxtor anyday of the week.

7. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

This subject was just covered about 3 weeks ago.

Buy yourself a HD and then get yourself an enclosure that does USB and Fire wire.

Take the HD out of the box and plug it into the external enclosure.

plug it into your computer.

Ta Da! extra HD space or storage space or whatever.

8. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I can personally recommend Cool Max USBII enclosures.. I've got 3 sitting in front of me..

I haven't had any trouble with WD drives.. haven't had any maxtor trouble either..

In fact.. statistically speaking.. I'm way overdue for some hard drive problems.. It's been years since I lost a drive.. :shocked:

9. Nolyn

Nolyn

Putting the pieces together may be a good option. From what I see Seagate and Iomega seem to get the best reviews. Iomega have a short warranty though.

Decisions, decisions

10. Nolyn

Nolyn

OK guys, this is where I need some in depth help from you geeks that actually understand this stuff

I found the 3 drives below that potentially meet my needs. Are the Hitachi drives better than the Seagate ?

Also, which of the two Seagate drives is best / do I need ?

Finally, what case will I need for whatever of these drives I buy - Newegg have the CoolMax cases that were recommended, but I've no idea how to choose the correct one for the drive I choose.

Thanks in advance

================================================================
    HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLA360 (0A33435) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    $90 at newegg

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
    $95 at newegg

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    $95 at newegg

11. Nolyn

Nolyn

Oh, just one other question - are these drives we put together ourselves more, or less, prone to damage during transportation ?

thanks

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The Seagates normally outlast the Hatachis.Those two Seagates listed one is ATA-100 and the other is SATA(serial ATA).The drives are similar but have different interfaces.if you going in an external box I would go with ATA-100.You might wanyt SATA if your PC has SATA but even if it does it likely has ATA-100 too.

13. Toyman

Toyman

Just some notes:

1) Heat is the #1 killer of hard drives. Keep this in mind with cooling and enclosures.

2) SpinRite is killer for fixing bad drives. http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

3) Vertical placement of drives is also bad. The head will move up and down, fighting gravity more than horizontal will.

4) You're better off with several smaller drives than one larger drive unless you're doing huge files like video processing.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Same here, I always use Western Digital, and I've built numerous PC's for family/friends, I only recall 1 failing about a year ago.

The Enclosures are a pretty good deal, I like them. I had some spare 80gig WD drives laying around(unused after upgrades), and I love them. I have 2 of the Dynex enclosures, which is more or less Best Buy's brand, and they have worked well, but are a little pricey compared to the ones you can find at TD and Newegg($50). However, when I got them, I really needed them, so I paid the premium.

If you have to buy the drive and the enclosure, its probably better to just buy an external drive, unless you find some smoking deal on an internal drive that you can put in an enclosure.

15. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

I have 2 Western Digital 250GB "Mybook's" or some name like that..

Anything important, gets copied to both HD's, as well as the original copy on my PC HD.

The HD's are otherwise used for video editing, and data storage for my wife's business..

The chance of me losing 3 HD's is slim, and I feel pretty comfortable with my setup, but anything is possible..

Walmart sells WD 250 GB externals for around $100 each..

16. Nolyn

Nolyn

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

I can get a Seagate 300 GB external drive for $140 (shipped) from Amazon. I'm not sure if this is as good a quality drive as the Barracuda line.

A Barracuda 320 will cost me about $95 + $25 for a case (perhaps more, I'm not sure which case is best yet) + about $10 shipping.

So, it's a purpose built 300 GB external for $140 versus a home built 320 GB Barracuda for about $130.

My two questions are

Firstly, is the Barracuda a better drive than the Seagate one in the 300 GB purpose built external drive ?

Secondly, is the Barracuda in a case (assembled by me) going to be as robust as the purpose built external drive from Seagate ?

17. Nolyn

Nolyn

A little more info here

A friend built this computer for me around 18 months ago. I looked up the spec and this is what I found (relating to SATA status and HD anyway)

Intel P4 3.2GHZ 2MB 800FSB LGA 775 64 BIT

Intel P4 5775 mATX PCIE/VID/DDR2 SATA FETH

Seagate 200GB SATA NCQ 7200 8MB HD

Most of this tech blurb means little to me.

Looks like my current HD is low spec compared to what I'm gonna buy- may be worth me upgrading the onboard HD too.

As SATA is mentioned in there, would I be best advised to purchase the SATA external drives ?

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

First things first, My personal opinion, the $140 for the 300gig, is the way to go, thats a pretty good deal. Seagate makes pretty good drives. If you're just dying to buy a drive, and stick it in an enclosure, by all means, go ahead. In your situation and the options you've presented, I'd probably just get the 300gig external and be done with it, BUT you won't go wrong with either. I guess it all depends on the enclosure you get, the ones I got, by Dynex, were around $50, and are very solid and well built. If you aren't throwing touchdowns with them though, thats probably not that important.

SATA/IDE external drives, really doesn't matter, as you'll be accessing it via your USB port. You might see a slight difference with the SATA drive, but probably not enough to get in a tissy over(especially if its mostly for backing up data).

Also, what makes you think 200gigs is "low spec" for your PC? Back when it was built, it was probably one of the larger drives out there.

IGF

19. Nolyn

Nolyn

What yer saying makes sense IGF. I just wasn't sure if the Seagate 300 drive was of lower quality than the 320 Barracuda

Just pulling the thing outa the box and being up and running in a few seconds sure sounds good

200GB with 8MB cache looks poor by today's standards. Just thought a 16MB cache model may run quicker