Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm getting older my eyes just aren't what they used to be. So I'm looking for a fairly priced spotting scope for 100yds. Preferably with a 1/4-20 thread for a tripod mount.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Imo, no such as good chrap glass, so under $75, they will all be pretty marginal. The konus is probably your best cheap bet.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,277 Posts
I have a budget Simmons sporting scope. It’s really not worth the money. Put that money into a better pair of binoculars.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As I'm getting older my eyes just aren't what they used to be. So I'm looking for a fairly priced spotting scope for 100yds. Preferably with a 1/4-20 thread for a tripod mount.

Any suggestions?
See what Cabelas has to offer.
I picked one that was on sale last year.
It does what I need.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
12,399 Posts
Imo, no such as good chrap glass, so under $75, they will all be pretty marginal. The konus is probably your best cheap bet.
Precisely! You get what you pay for!

Spend the money now, so you don't have to spend again!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The Konus 20-60x80 is a quite respectable scope and I have seen it on sale for around $200 now and then. I think that is about as low as I would consider.

·
NRA Life Member
66,515 Posts
For 50 yards, I usually use a 20X Alpen, like this, that cost me about $80:

I'm looking for .22 holes on black at 50 yards and it works great. I also have a Burris and a Tasco or maybe Bushnell as backups, but have never needed them. I like these little ones because they fit in my pistol box.

For 100 yards, you'd need a lot more power so I have a Bausch & Lomb Discoverer 15-60X for rifle:

I think that cost me about $60-80 on eBay, but it was probably 15 years ago. I do see a couple on Ebay for $75-80 right now.

I don't spend a lot of money on spotting scopes - unless I start competing with rifles it's just not that important.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I agree with pblanc , but I understand if you don't have the money . I would look at the Konus Konuspot 20-60x60 for around $85 dollars at opticsplanet .

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I bought an old Nikon Fieldscope on eBay many years ago. It has a 20-45 X variable eyepiece.
The eBay auction below has a fixed 20X eyepiece. No lens covers or tripod. Nikon makes some good glass. I would want more than 20X magnification to see 22 caliber holes at 100 yards. The shoot-n-see type of targets help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D-60-P-Fieldscope-Spotting-Scope-20x-Eyepiece-Made-in-Japan-Preowned/303566905640?hash=item46adff6128:g:pr8AAOSwUwVevEbY&LH_Auction=1&LH_ItemCondition=3000

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have bought a few spotting scopes even in the sub $200 range.

There is a lot of distortion on the periphery, worsened with using zoom.

I tried a couple of Barska, Celestron and my Leupold Ventana.

The Leupold Ventana is my favorite, and it works.

My friend has a Vortex Razor which is really good.

Binoculars are acceptable but if your hands are not steady it will need a tripod mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts