Recommendations for a optics mount?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Canoe2, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Canoe2

Canoe2

I'd like to put an optic on one of my 1911s so I am looking at the various options. I not keen to drill into the frame, or mill the slide to replace the existing rear with a red dot, so what are the best options for a mount that attaches to the frame rail?

Are there any drawbacks to the rail mount compared to the other options? I'm thinking it would probably be easier on the optic as the optic will not cycle with the slide, and the gun can still be returned to original condition.

thanks

2. Gary Wells

Gary Wells

Check out "Bullseye-L Forum" under equipment. Quite a few dedicated bullseye shooters using optics over there. Also, this same query posted over on "1911 Forum" should bring some responses. I personally would prefer a slide mounted optic, such as the RMR, but considerable machining of the slide is required for that one. I think that you will be SOL to find something that does not require any machining whatsoever.

Canoe2 likes this.

3. Canoe2

Canoe2

Thanks Gary. I'll check them out.

4. Gary Wells

Gary Wells

If you're a handloder/reloader, you might want to check out "Bullseye_L_Forum's ammunition /reloading section. Lots of good info there.