close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommendations for a .22 Pistol

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ncglock19, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ncglock19

ncglock19

Since ammo prices seem to only be going up, I'm interested in picking up a .22 pistol where I can get some less expensive ammo to do some heavy duty practicing.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good .22 to pick up for practice purposes. Thanks.

joe

2. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I bought a Browning BuckMark. Great pistol. Very accurate, and reliable. I like it a lot.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

It's hard to go wrong with a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK II if you can find one.
    (I had a lot of trouble with my Ruger MK III but I think most owners are satisfied with them)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

5. bac1023

bac1023

:agree:

I have a Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark III.

I love them both.

6. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Ruger 22-45------preferably Mark II but Mark III would be ok. My revolver choice would be a S&W 617, but for pure economy and great plinking fun, the Ruger 22-45 would be the ticket.

7. Caladan

Caladan

I find the Beretta Neos' grip to be kinda small, but the wifey likes it. If you have smaller hands, it would be worth looking at. The accurate, and reliable when you find the ammo that yours likes. Very easy to strip. Can be had around $249, give or take.

The S&W 22A is very accurate, and has a better trigger than the Neos. Grip size is at the opposite end of the scale, so good for larger hands. Very easy to strip. Was on sale locally a few weeks ago for $229, and is an excellent buy at that price.

The Browning Buckmark was on sale last week for $259, but normally at $279. It has the best trigger of the commonly-available .22 semi's, and has a medium-sized grip that fits just about everyone. Needs a tool to strip, and only comes with one mag. Despite this, it's my favorite one, mostly because of the ergo's and the trigger.

The Ruger MKIII is built like a tank, and has a price that reflects this. Trigger isn't as good as the BM, but better than the first two. If you are going to have just one, it's the one to get. A PITA to strip, but you get used to it. Accuracy and reliability is great. Usually a bit over $300 at least.

A lot of people like the Walther P22. I sold ours as it's accuracy was disappointing. Reliability was good once we found out what it liked. Overall, not worth the money it takes to get a new one.

If you want a new revolver, then look at the S&W 63 or 617. Both are great. We have the 63 as it's lighter weight is better for the wifey. These two are much more expensive than the semi's.

8. Onmilo

Onmilo

Inexpensive and decent quality, go Buckmark for sure!

9. hoffy

hoffy

I have shot probably upwards of 50K rounds through it. I worked at a gun shop when I bought it and bought ammo by the case(5Krounds for ~60-70$ wholesale) I got the Govt Model as at that time it was the only model that had a 6 7/8" heavy barrel, the others were 5" and 10". Also the Govt. was initially an over run for the military , but proved so popular they kept making it. At least I got a Govt box and Tech manual along with the civilian manual and box. Anyway the gun has broken a few parts but considering I think it has done well. I broke an extractor, my fault for shooting it too dirty. It broke the pin that the take down lever on the back of the grip connects to bolt stop pin, whose rounded head protrudes from the top of the receiver . Also the recoil spring guide broke. Way less than 100$ using today's prices. A friend bought a Buckmark at the same time, one of the first ones(that gun replaced the Belgian ones) and he has had some trouble with it, but it was cheaper than the Ruger. The Browning has shed a few parts and he has some common fasteners in it . I can still hit cans with the Ruger at 100 yards. I bought a Walther P-22 for my wife, but it broke a slide(fixed under warranty) it goes nicely with my P-99 9mm. The top of the line if you can swing it is a S&W model 41. I had one years ago, and had to sell it:crying:, of all the guns I have sold over the years that one is in the top 5 I want back. I have owned revolvers , several in 22 and would only buy one if it was old and I could turn it. I have 12 magazines for my Ruger and I would go insane shooting a revolver. Now if a revolver is going to be your primary carry piece, then that would be the way to go.

10. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Mark III Hunter. Wahoo. It ain't cheap, and you get what you pay for.

I feed it CCI mini-mag solids, and it's gone bang every time so far.

I'm happy. The only thing that could make it better would be an attractive affectionate of the scenic gender to set up targets and fill mags.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. concrete

concrete

12. NickF87

NickF87

+1 for the Neos.
    Its so easy to disassemble its ridiculous.

13. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

I have a Buckmark and love it.

14. ronin.45

ronin.45

Get a Ruger.

Mark II if you can find one. Mark III if you can't.

15. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

If you're looking for a new semi-auto, it's going to come down to either the Ruger or the Buckmark. There are a few others like the Beretta and the Sig, but the first two are the biggies for a reason. I doubt there's really much difference between the two.

With revolvers there is pretty much Smith & Wesson, then Ruger's Single-Six, and then everybody else.

16. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

17. 45caldan

45caldan

I'm with most here....Buckmark or Ruger (as suggested, look for a MKII).

18. bikerpipes

bikerpipes

I have Beretta neos shoots great over a thousand rounds and not one single mis function got it for 250 out the door.

19. deadite

deadite Groovy.

[​IMG]

It's hard to beat a used Ruger Mark II Target. You can sometimes find them in the $300.00 range. They're usually more sought after than the Mark III's. There's plenty of room for upgrades, too.

[​IMG]

If you're wanting to spend a little more and have a target grade heirloom for your children, get a S&W 41 or a used Browning Challenger/ Medalist. They're really great, quality guns and you'll never want to part with them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deadite

20. CBennett

CBennett

IMO if your going with open sights this is the best(affordable) one on the market. The only reason I went with the S&W 22A was I wanted to throw a red dot on it and it had the integrated rail mount and everything..it was just easier than geting or doing extra to do it on the buckmark..but the buckmark and better stock sights than the Ruger or the S&W 22A a lot better trigger than the Ruger or 22A(out of the box) and the best grips of the 3 also, bad part was I had done some internet research and found that with a red dot or scope and the way the Buckmark takes down that id have to remove the scope/red dot to get it apart(or so I was told by a internet guy and guy that owns one) and I didnt really want to do that every time I cleaned it which would be after every range session.