close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommendation on Scotch

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I want to give Scotch a try today. What would be a good, moderately priced, choice to begin with?

Also, tell me about Jameson's

2. clancy

clancy

Good Scotch and moderately priced do not go hand in hand. That being said, you have a huge choce in what you may want to drink. As far as blended Scotch, I prefer any of the Johnnie Walker's, and as far as inexpensive Scotch, try Cutty Sark. Dewar's is probably the most popular blend sold, for the life of me I don't know why. I guess it is better than no Scotch at all, though.

If you decide to go for a single malt Scotch, Glenlivet is one of the more popular brands, with justification. Glenmorangie, Laphroig and Cardhu are also good, and won't drive you(quite) into bankruptcy.

Jameson's? I don't care for it. I prefer Bushmill's, especially Black Bush. Now that is an Irish whiskey!

3. Restless28

Restless28

Right now, I'm drinking Knob Creek, so I like moderately priced good stuff.

4. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

I am not a scotch drinker, but a very good friend of mine who is a native Scotsman prefers Balvenie. Their fifteen year goes for about $75 a bottle.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Knob Creek is ok,.....Mcallan 18 is the shiznits! :drool:

6. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

I wouldn't recommend starting with Laphroaig. I love the stuff, but it's a strongly flavored whiskey and not for everyone. Glenlivet is decent enough to start out on. I'd recommend a few drops of water (literally, a few drops) and slow sipping to enjoy the taste. Swirl it around in your mouth to enjoy the flavors.

7. deputy tom

deputy tom

Go get a jug of Clan MacGregor. Best damn cheap Scotch sold. Jameson tastes like cat urine. tom.:wavey:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  8. frizz

frizz

Scottish Inns are always filthy dumps. I have never been to one, but the ones I have seen from the road look like flop houses, and are in skeevy areas.

I have been to a few Jameson Inns, and they are not the Hilton, but they are clean and slightly upscale.

:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

9. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

For a good highland, outside of super top shelf stuff, and more to the readily available stuff...I like Oban and Dalwhinnie. When I can find it, I much prefer Edradour. Don't bother with blends, only single malts will give you the key to the love of scotch.

10. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Abalore 12

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

11. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Jameson isn't Scotch.

As above, Aberlour is excellent.
    Want something with a real personality? Try Talisker, my favorite.

12. Restless28

Restless28

I know that. It just happens to be on the shelf between bourbon and scotch. I was curious.

13. Restless28

Restless28

What makes the single malt superior?

14. JerryVO

JerryVO

Try mcallan 10 fine oak. The fine oak line has much less bite than the regular macallan and 10 year will be much easier on the wallet than the 18 mentioned above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

15. Left-Right

Left-Right

I break Scotch, talking single malts, down to two broad categories: sweet, or smoky. Different Scotches slide up and down that scale, depending on their region, and it's up to the individual to find one that fits their taste or mood. As a rule, most people start out on the sweet side as they find the smoky scotches are a bit much at that point in their discovery.

Some examples to try:
    Sweet--Macallan 12
    In the middle--Balvenie Doublewood
    Smoky-- Lagavulin 16

Btw, I think single malts are the way to go as you can fine tune the flavors you like.

Jameson's is a blended Irish whisky...worth a try.

16. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

There are of course some very tasty blends but without going into the grain usage and distillation quality aspects of it, a simple way to think of it is like cooking, when something doesn't taste good, people add things to it to make it taste like what they want. Single malt is three parts only, blends are multiple scotches and added sugars in most cases. The depth and complexity is created, not naturally occurring, if that makes sense. I know there are some scotch experts in here that will happily chime in. I am just a fan of it. I spent an entire month touring the Highlands and Lowlands, tasting and learning about scotches a few years back. Funniest moment ever on that trip was sitting in the library of the bed and breakfast we stayed at in Pitlochry, chatting with the owner, Charlie. I asked the same question about the difference. Charlie looks at me and says "blends are crap".

While I can concur that some blends are great, the single malt experience is a journey, and one you will truly enjoy. Lowland, Islay and Speysides are another experience altogether. Never have it cold or with ice and always add a small splash of water to it as you enjoy a dram neat.

17. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I don't drink blends any more unless there is no other choice. For a blend Johnnie Walker Black is pretty good and not too expensive. The 12 yo Glenlivet is pretty much a generic single malt and probably a good place to start, also not too expensive. The 12 yo Balvenie Doublewood and Macallan are also nice but more money. My preference these days runs to the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, a great deal, and the fairly pricy Lagavulin 16 yo.

18. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

If you are new to Scotch, I'd shy away from anything with Islay on the label (even though it's my favorite region), it does tend to scare some new drinkers off.

19. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

My wife said the 10 yo Laphroaig had an aftertaste of dead fish. She's not much of a scotch drinker anyway but wanted to try it. By the end of that first bottle I was hooked.

20. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

My wife had, and still has the same reaction. If she smells it, she'll say, "what!?!? are you drinking Laphroaig?? ugh! I can smell it from all the way over here!".

The 10, as widely available as it is, is one of my all time favorites.