Recommendation on budget laser for AR Pistol and Glock 21...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glock21sf-miami, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Fellow GTers,

As always, I come to you for advice. Finally got the lower for my AR Frankenstein build and I was looking for a laser under $100 that can fit both my AR pistol (it would be the only sight on this pistol for now) and can also be mounted on my home defense Glock21 if needed.

I see a bunch of discussions between red and green... It seems green can be seen better and is also more expensive. What worries me is that most have really bad reviews in terms of holding zero after shooting.

Any decent ones you have experience with??

2. dkf

dkf

I'd forget about the laser and put irons on the AR. If you don't already have one or two, get a white weapons light that will fit the G21 and then get a mount so it can be put on the AR too. A laser (especially a cheap one) is of very limited use ans should never be the primary "sights" on the weapon.

pgg00, apmcdaniel and billy_56081 like this.

3. apmcdaniel

apmcdaniel

This is good advice. As stated, a laser is not a primary sight for any weapon. Get Magpul or better iron sights. You are looking at $100 to $200 for decent folding or fixed sights.

Don’t buy cheap Chinese crap; they will break, sometimes just in the installation process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. furetto7

furetto7 Galloglaich

I must agree that iron sights and a decent light are preferable to a LASER, especially a cheap one, with that said I have a LASER on or in my Glock 21, Colt Delta Elite and my AR15 rifle, both the Glock and the rifle also have lights. As these are all work guns the only real advantage the LASER gives is the ability to make an aimed shot with the LASER from behind/over a shield or barricade.

apmcdaniel likes this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

6. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thanks for the input guys! I did get some iron sights that have decent reviews and I appreciate the recommendation of the CT. I was hoping to spend a bit less but for an additional $40 I'd rather get something that I know will work than regretting the purchase...

7. Tbags

Tbags

My best advise is to skip the laser idea altogether and mount a bright light as mentioned.

8. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Crimson Trace CMR-206 (green) is what you are looking for. A bit over your price but can be had close to $130 if you shop around. CMR-201 (red) can be found sub $100.

If you want to go crazy, a Streamlight TLR-2 HL G, combines a super bright light and an excellent bright green laser. It’s expensive but a fantastic unit that is built solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

The crimson trace one seems to be the best option for the money. I did buy a couple of $30 iron sights and even though the distance between them is really short, I believe they serve the purpose.
    Below a pic of my frankenstein upper with PSA lower and iron sights. Shot it today and it is a very soft shooter... Target below was at 30 ish yards. I think it does the job because it's role is home defense. For longer range shooting I have my 16" FN...
    Yeah, I know... I need to adjust the sights..
    Ar-pistol-8-5-20.jpg Target-Ar-pistol-8-5-20.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. Gamera

Gamera

Crimson trace rail master will work on both. Plus you get free battery replacements for life. Crimson Trace is also made in Oregon so you don’t have to worry about supporting a communist owned business in China.

glock1097 likes this.
  11. dkf

dkf

You can increase the sight radius substantially by having the front sight on the railed gas block. That is really where it is supposed to be. However that railed gas block looks lower than the rail on the upper receiver. If that is the case you need a taller all metal front sight designed for use on a railed gas block.

PSA has a Holosun 403 red dot for $130 or so. Maybe you just want to buy one of those and skip the irons and especially the laser.

12. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Yes DKF, the rail on the gas block is substantially lower than the main rail so that's why I put the irons on the main one with a very small sight radius. Your suggestion on the Holosun is great, I had not found one for that price but I'll look. As always, thank you!!

dkf likes this.
  13. Tbags

Tbags

Holosun or the sig romeo5 seem to be priced about the same give or take.

14. porschedog

porschedog

If you do go the laser route, green seems to be the most visible under most lighting conditions.