Recommendation For Gear For New EMT?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by BigBluefish, Oct 1, 2020.

1. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

My son is just starting his EMT certification and apparently needs boots and tactical/cargo/EMT slacks.

Any suggestions for quality gear? I’d like to keep boots under $150 and the slacks under $75 (though I really have no idea about this market.)

Thanks!

2. scattershot

scattershot

Check 5-11 Tactical and L.A. Police Gear for the pants. Other options are available, too, but these guys specialize in that stuff. 5-11 is probably better, and they have sales now and then. His employer may require steel toed boots, so check to make sure.

3. Redeemed

Redeemed

We were issued Elbeco pants and they were alright. Danners for boots, although I bought Rockies for my private company job.

Not necessarily recommending Gall’s, although I did buy quite a bit of stuff back in the day. And always had good service through them. But it’s a place to browse.

https://www.galls.com/ems-pants#page_no=2*

https://www.galls.com/duty-boots

4. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Don't forget the Hagstrom's Laminated Commercial map for the area he works. The print is larger and it shows street travel direction. Old school I know, but sometimes necessary.

Redeemed likes this.
  5. Frenchy1004

Frenchy1004

I know a fair number of guys on my department that like the Tru spec tactical pants, sounds like they are less per pair than comparable 5.11 and come in several colors too if need be. Can't help on boots as I buy Danner Acadias which are way beyond your budget. I see a mix of lesser priced Danners, Rocky or 5-11. I would spring for some type of water repellent/waterproof if $ allows

6. CaptJim

CaptJim Lifetime Member

Get him a Littman Cardiology III Stethoscope. That will be one of the most used (and necessarily high quality) tools he will use. Pants and other stuff are insignificant, but the ability to ausculate breath and Kortikoff (BP) sounds is vitally important.
    Best of luck to him.

BigBluefish and Redeemed like this.