close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend to me.....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GLOCKNROCK, Mar 6, 2010.

1. GLOCKNROCK

GLOCKNROCK

Something for my wife.

She's firearm's savvy, but this is not a "for fun" purchase. I'll soon be carrying my Glock with me - leaving her without a firearm at home for protection.

I'm armed with a few "facts". 1) She had a Walther P99/9mm (the non S&W version) and loved it 2) She finds it nearly impossible to pull the slide on 40 cal handguns and 3) The grip size needs to be small (she has small hands)

Revolvers are a no-go. She's not interested. Wants something compact and reliable. Again, she's not looking for something fancy to play around with. Sufficient at stopping/injuring your "run of the mill" home invader is about the basic idea, meeting the above criteria.

Toss out some suggestions. Thanks!

2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

HD= Shotgun

If it's a pistol though then G19 sounds like it would fit the bill.

Just my $0.02

3. helidonna

helidonna Sua Sponte

Glock 26, or maybe a Ruger LCP.

4. SIERRA SIX

SIERRA SIX

for home defense? Either a G17 or Browning M1919

5. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I agree with the shotgun path as I'm sure she could rack it. If it's a pistol she wants, perhaps a compact 1911? Kahr may be another choice, I like their PM40. Think she can chamber a .45 in the G36? That's another option due to it's thin profile and grip. Here is the Kahr with an extended mag..

[​IMG]

/V

6. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

Any chance she may carry in the future? IF so then this may be an opp to kill two birds with one stone.

If she is having issue with pulling the slide back on a 40sw I would suggest a g19. Fits hd and ccw. I have a buddy who went thru the same situation - tried everything from revolvers, khars, keltec, glocks, and even a cz duty. Ended up going with the g19 because she felt most comfortable with it. We thought for sure she was going to head the cz duty route but we were all wrong. Its been 3 months and she is still satisfied withe purchase.

7. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I too would start with a G19, but ultimately, let her pick it.

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Agree.
    :supergrin:

9. Cartouche

Cartouche

After many classes I have seen alot of women shooters, some avid and alot of new comers. I have seen everything from G19's to P229's, P220's, 1911's, XD's, and some revolvers. By far the one that stands out as far as ease of manipulation has been a G19. Or a 17. The XD's have done well also. The Sigs with some not so avid shooters had some troubles in adapting to the DA/SA feature, and the de-cock feature. This is a nutshell summary but you see where I am going. Even some more familiar women shooters under a quicker drill still had a few hicups, but no many with a striker fired weapon. The Glocks and XD's were the most successful. Easier to rack the slide and to reload, and shoot. Newby women had problems with the reveolvers heavy triggers as well as the DA trigger on Sigs. Long story short, get a G19 or 17 or 26 if they fit her hand. That is important as well. I have had my girls, wife/daughter go from revolvers, which had very good triggers BTW, to semi-autos. Glocks 19, and 26. Hope this helps. Oh , these classes are not stand and shoot, we move and shoot alot. As well as real world situations. Transitions from strong to weak hand moving, pro and reactive reloads, etc, etc. So I have observed these weapons in alot of diffrent handling drills. Something to be said about simpler is better in a self defense situation.

10. kennyv

kennyv

Glock 19 is the best all around handgun. But I also agree with Butch let her choose.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  11. Butch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmm........tough decision. :supergrin:

12. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

You do know that in Glock pistols (most others as well) that the recoil spring assemblies in the .40 & 9mm are the same. There's no difference in racking the slide on a 19/23, or 17/22, or 26/27.

If she's dead set on not having a revolver I'd point her toward a Gen4 G17, XDm 9mm, or M&P 9mm. These are all full-sized, high-capacity, adjustable backstrap service pistols.

13. koolcarkid

koolcarkid

I let my little woman choose and now she doesnt have A g26... she has HER g26... she loves it and I wouldnt be able to take it away from her. She also has small hands and felt MUCH more comfortable with the g26 as opposed to the g19.

14. Butch

An excellent point!

I feel that if she has the strength to hold and competently operate a Glock, she can very probably rack the slide quite sufficiently also. Part of the problem could be the technique in use.

If she's trying to 'slingshot' the slide (pinching the rear end of the slide between her thumb and the side of her pointer finger), she's simply not able to utilize all her strength well.
    [​IMG]

Much better to use the 'hand over' method to rack the slide which uses the palm on one side and all four fingers on the other side. It lets the shooter use nearly all the strength of the hand to get the job done.
    [​IMG]

Pulling the gun in closer to the body while doing so also helps.....but muzzle awareness must be considered.....the body may need to be turned some to keep the muzzle pointed down range.

And don't forget the 'P' word.....practise, the more she racks the slide, the easier it will be to do.

15. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Have her try a S&W M&PC 9mm. The interchangeable grip inserts are a real benefit to shooters with small hands.

16. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Butch hit right on it again.

I find people new to semi-autos try to hold the frame stationary and move only the slide.

A few months ago I showed an 8 year old boy how to rack the slide on a G23. He did it first time with no problem.

Point gun in safe direction. Grab the slide with the weak hand, hand over like Butch said. At the same time have hold of the grip in a shooting grip. Then while pushing forward on the grip with the strong hand, push the weak hand the other way. Like squeezing an accordion together. It's easiest at first if you have the gun somewhat pointed to the side, so it may mean you will have to turn your body to point in a safe direction. Once you get the technique you can do it while pointing the gun downrange. After you get that done she could try the pinch method. Pull with the slide pinched between the fingers and push with the other hand.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  17. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Remington 870 18" barrel with extended tube and a G19.

I really think the shotgun is the best route for home defense. Especially if more than one person is breaking in.

18. B.Reid

B.Reid

19. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

Trip to gun store: Try untill you find the right one. Walther PPS, S&W M&P's, Taurus 709, Springfield XD's, Bersa (Bersa BP cc9 / cc40) is supposed to be coming out with a polymer single stack for around $300 sometime this summer, but being a new design for a home defense gun that would have to up to your best judgement.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  20. GLOCKNROCK

GLOCKNROCK

Hello all! The wife here. Have an account, but so conveniently forgot my login information. Whoops.

So, we bought a Keltec. Mistake #1 was that I didnt handle it prior to purchase. Can't pull the slide back. Certainly not using the pinch method, but not with the hand-over either. I get it back about 2" and then my hand literally SLIDES off. Guess I'm just not a strong arm, eh?

Better question for ya'll. What (if anything) could I go with that is smaller calibur and still be sufficient? If we're going with the idea that someone is coming up on me in the house, and that I am going to UNLOAD the pistol into them (shoot until nothing is happening anymore) how important is power/bullet size in terms of neutralizing someone long enough for me to get away?

I ask, simply because I dont struggle with the smaller calibur handguns. Could easily justify one by those means.....though I wouldnt want to spend the money on something that wont do the job IF the job needs doing. Know what I mean?

Thoughts?