Recommend some DMB for a new fan

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Danimal3805, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

So I'm expanding my musical horizons. I never really got into DMB before but I've got a few songs and I'm digging it. For the record I'm *NOT* a pothead (anymore hahaha) I mostly like the uptempo ones, not the ones you could fall asleep to. I know there are more good ones out there, so far I have :

ants marching
    if I had it all
    crash into me
    crush
    dancing nancies
    dont drink the water
    funny the way it is
    lie in our graves
    satellite
    so much to say
    the best of whats around
    two step
    where are you going
    you and me

2. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

His newest, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King, album has several good ones on it.

"Why I Am" is my favorite cut off of it

others from different albums:

Proudest Monkey
    Warehouse
    Dream Girl
    Bring that Beat Back (Old Dirt Hill)
    Stand Up

I like a lot of his stuff; probably not for everybody but I can listen to Dave just about any time of the day.

3. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

4. jsnake

jsnake

I'm an old guy that has always liked DMB. I used to see them play here in blacksburg before they were famous. I would recommend any of the live recordings (Red Rocks, luther college, listener supported, etc.) along with what others have said.

5. Pentothal

Pentothal

One I don't see mentioned that I like is "What would you say"

It was the first DMB song I heard, off the MTV Buzz Bin CD.

6. bcmclane

bcmclane

Ahh yes, when I was in Highschool (94', 95'ish), we used to go watch them every other Friday or so. They played for free to small crowds in Richmond. This went on for a few years until all of a sudden they exploded. Good times. Nothing like being 16 years old, knocking back more shots than your should at your car, then walking right up to the stage during the summer. This was also when the stage they played on was as big as your living room.

7. articulate

articulate

GREY STREET (as Jay9928 already mentioned)
    It's my favorite Dave song, and it will be played at my funeral.

Also already mentioned, you should definitely check out their live albums. Dave has a tendency to turn the ~4 minute studio songs into ten minute jam sessions. Dave's duo stuff with Tim Reynolds is also really good. One of my other favorite songs is Cortez the Killer (a Neil Young cover), where Dave and Warren Haynes just jam your freaking face off for over ten minutes.

Other favorites not already mentioned:
    The Stone
    Bartender
    True Reflections
    Gravedigger
    Long Black Veil

I also had the fortune to be at one of Dave's concerts where they played a cover of Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel). It was AWESOME. The crowd went completely nuts over that one.

Don't assume that there is a mandatory stoner association with Dave fans. It's just not true. Anyone who appreciates music can listen to Dave. Like Dave himself says: "Some people do, some people don't, well that's okay, that's just the way it's supposed to be."

Also, if you're just now getting into Dave, you should really check out O.A.R. Those are the two bands that are most likely to be found in my cd player at any given moment.