Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Looking to do a bulk purchase of ammo for my new G19 gen 3 for range practice. Shot Sellier and Bellot FMJ and it performed flawlessly. Besides this, is there any 9mm range ammo that is reasonably priced that has a good reputation?

Any ammo I should avoid (I assume aluminum and steel casing)?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
S&B, Magtech, Federal Brass, and Blazer are some of the ones I've had no trouble at all with and wouldn't hesitate to order a case of. I've also used a couple boxes of Browning 124gr FMJ with no trouble. Same with Winchester 124 Nato.

I avoid Winchester White Box in any caliber.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm certain there are many brands out there that are recommended. For range use I prefer PMC Bronze, Magtech and Sellier & Bellot. They've all been flawless in reliability and performance. I don't care for aluminum or steel cased.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I like PMC, Lawman, Blazer, Federal, and even Defender Ammunition.

Aluminum is fine. Only guns that choke on aluminum for me is a Coonan 357 Magnum and my AR Pistols in 45 ACP.

All my buddy shoots is Tula, which is Steel cased. I don’t use it. He swears by it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The only 9mm FMJ I try to avoid is WWB and sometimes even it is good. The primary reason I avoid it is it’s usually priced higher than every thing else. Out of all the cheap ammo I buy it’s the only ammo I’ve ever had issue with. I am currently shooting a couple of cases of Winchester steel cased ammo which I never thought I’d buy, but it was real cheap (3 months ago cheap). No issues with it though.
I tend to buy whatever is the cheapest brass cased ammo, which over the last decade or two has been many different brands. I shoot at least 8,000 rounds a year, so price is the most important aspect for me.

I guess if all brands were priced the same I would go with S&B 124gr. because it’s loaded kind of hot and the packaging is minimal allowing for better storage, or Federal 147gr FMJ because of the lower recoil for gun games.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I reload and S&b gives me fits because of the "small" or tight primer pockets.

Reactions: fredj338

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have used an ABSURD amount of WWB.... NEVER a problem... I am talking LOTS.

I think it's a lot like .40 S&W. They don't like it because the "tribe" tells them they shouldn't like it.

They don't know why.... but EVERYONE says so.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
We used Speer Lawman 124 grain when I was in law enforcement. It performed perfectly.

The 115 grain version is a little cheaper if you want to go that route.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,934 Posts
Winchester White Box has always worked in my G19.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The Glock 19 will feed and run any 9mm round you feed it. I stay away from steel cases, but have used about every brand I can think of, brass and aluminum, and never had the first hiccup. Buy whatever you can find at the best price, and have fun!

·
Registered
774 Posts
This is the worst stuff I have ever used. Bought a couple of boxes for really cheap when Walmart was clearing out their ammo. It turned my 43 into a a single shot... the steel case was rough and looked almost like it was lightly corroded. I had to manually pull the stuck case out of the barrel after each shot. I went back to other stuff after that and had no problems.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Federal Member
29,534 Posts
The only, 9mm ball I buy now is the Winchester 9mm 124 Nato.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,207 Posts
I don't buy much factory because i reload, but I am fine with anything not steel cased. Alum cased is also down the list unless I just want to dirty up a range with cases no one can use. If you were shooting with me, I'ld say Blazer or Fed be ause I like their brass.:cheers:

Reactions: 4949shooter

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have used an ABSURD amount of WWB.... NEVER a problem... I am talking LOTS.

I think it's a lot like .40 S&W. They don't like it because the "tribe" tells them they shouldn't like it.

They don't know why.... but EVERYONE says so.
Likewise - When I heavily competed in IDPA that is the only ammo I used. I still use it and I have never had an issue that I recall.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's a glock. It will fire a trash can if you can get it in the magazine. By the time you see any ill effects you will have saved enough money to by new ones for all your great grandkids.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Never had a problem with any boxer primed brass case 9mm factory ammo in any 9mm gun. You can always get an occasional problem round with any brand, but your G19 should be good to go with whatever you buy.

Reactions: lilPerut

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
My Rule #1: Never shoot any steel case ammo in a good firearm, unless you're shooting a Soviet Bloc-made gun.

My Rule #2: Aluminum case ammo is okay if no brass case ammo is available but all the brands I've shot seemed a bit too weak for my tastes.

Aside from those two rules I like S&B and WWB NATO (the variety that specifies 1200 fps on the box, not the lackluster 1140 fps stuff), all in 124-grain weight. Lawman is great ammo but hard to find and Federal is also good ammo. I like to shoot FMJ ammo at the range that has similar power and recoil characteristics to the JHP self-defense ammos I carry, and the first two names I mentioned closely match those.

I've shot many varieties and brands without any real problems but I never liked the Remington green/white box ammo because it was so dirty, not that I had any problems with how it functioned. I've not shot the yellow/green box Remington but I understand it's a step up from the budget green/white variety.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts