Recommend me a light for my nightstand gun

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by drifter2be, Sep 9, 2015.

1. drifter2be

drifter2be

After years of keeping a surefire E2D in my nightstand next to my HD gun I've decided to finally go with a pistol-mounted light.

The gun I am going to be mounting it to is a Springfield XD-M 4.5

What I am looking at right now is the Streamlight TLR-3, seems like a really good price (found it for $73 shipped on amazon) and I know Streamlight makes good quality products (I have a Stinger LED that I have dropped hundreds of times at work and still works perfectly). Any other recommendations? I would really prefer something that doesn't stick out very far past the end of the barrel.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Smokin45

Smokin45

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Agreed

MSW and dubby1988 like this.
  4. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Slight twist … TLR-1 HL

Cashgap likes this.
  5. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I have two pistols in my house wearing TLR-1s lights. One is the older 200 lumen model, the other is the newer 300 lumen. I use the 200 lumen on my bedside piece.

I find a 600+ lumen light to be too bright in the house, light up a close white wall and your vision is significantly affected. The TLR-1 HL would make a fine choice for something used outdoors where one is less likely to light up a close light colored object.

6. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Agree with that Bronco. But I have a long hallway and I try to not direct aim "light up a close white wall". Best to use the periphery of the light on the wall. While I don't intend to do search and clearing of outside areas, it is good if I have to walk outside and look around. Also it probably is only 600 lumens when the battery is brand new.

Even though it is on a handgun that is my primary HD gun, it also gets used as b/u gun in the field, especially when I am bowhunting. So the extra lumens and distance can come in handy outdoors.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  7. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

8. steve1911

steve1911

Good light for indoor use or out side.

191club#410

9. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Surefire XC1.

It's a good flood light.
    [​IMG]

10. dubby1988

dubby1988

Are you wanting a laser also? If so I'd say TLR-2

11. dubby1988

dubby1988

Surefire are good lights but they are so pricey

12. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm interested in the XC1, but at almost 3x the price of other good lights, I can't justify it.

13. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Another vote for one of the versions of the Streamlight TLR-1. I own several, have owned them for years, and they've been problem-free, even when stored/used in extreme temperatures (-30F to 100+F). The TLR-2 is also a good choice, but you lose the option to use certain holsters when you go with the laser option (it adds bulk to the bottom of the light's body).

The TLR-3 is a decent light, and more compact than the TLR-1 (which many folks want), but the plastic body rail can crack if you over-tighten the mounting screw. I was very careful with mine, but it was on-and-off several pistols on a regular basis, and eventually, despite my extra care during mounting, it cracked. You also give up quite a bit of light by going with the smaller TLR-3, and batteries can be a little harder to find locally (if that is a concern for you; it was for me). Due to the plastic body, I won't recommend these for serious uses any more, but I still understand their appeal.

14. sasage

sasage

TLR1 HL or x300u

15. Akahele

Akahele

Another Light question.
    I recently assembled a Glock 23 with an osprey 40 silencer.
    Any suggestions on a light that will not interfere with the octagonal shape of the silencer?

16. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Sorry OP and Bronco. I messed up my input here by confusing my 2 lights I have on different guns.

I only have the TLR 3 model on my G23 bedside gun (and sometime carry in the field gun). With 1 battery only, it is shorter and lighter and I like that size on the compact size G23. To Bronco's point, it is only 5300 candela and 125 lumens, not 600+ lumens. This has seemed like plenty of light in and around the house.

The other posters recos's of one of the std. non HL TLR-1's for your night stand gun is a good intermediate (300 lumens) and gives you double the run time, if you don't mind the extra length and weight with 2 batteries.

The TLR-1HL I recommended is on my full size gun that gets used more in the field. With its 2 batteries, longer length, and couple ounces more, I think it fits better on full size gun than compact. I agree with Bronco that 600 lumens are not needed for inside the house use.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  17. Zerodefect

True, but it's the last light you'll need. Nothing else will last in my kydex holster. I've killed all kinds of chinese lights.

18. Zerodefect

[​IMG]

The osprey isn't that fat.

19. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought