GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'll stack it up against my Surefire E1E Executive any day of the week as far as light output goes.

I'm sorry, but Maglite needs to step it up before they roll over and die. When you can get the same amount (or more) light out of something 1/15th the size and a menial fraction of the weight...well, something just isn't adding up. :whistling:
Yes, but that little surefire also costs 4-5x as much. And a 4D Maglite doubles as a club.

·
Bo Knows.......
6,306 Posts
Maglight because it doubles as a weapon.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Another vote for Maglite. I take my 3D cell on my early morning walks. I sure wouldn't want to get thumped by one....

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I like my 6D mag light, makes an even better head knocker if needed, and the output of light is pretty good.

I had a 6D mag light it was like carring a base ball bat just to big for me.
I use 2D LED upgrade in cars, truck, and jeep They are just a handy size.
I have a couple I have had from the early 1980's and use them today. I have a 4D at home. They only problem I have had was the battery leaked not the mags falt. I have a cheep 9 LED bulb from Wal Mart the cost $5.88 and it has been a great little light if I needed to carry it on me that would be a better choice. I see these $100-200 flash lights just say damm. I mag light cost a little over $20 and has lasted me over 25 years and a very good backup weapon to boot. Saying a Mag light (LED) is out of date is like saying a revolver is out of date. I have all my revolers as well.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,187 Posts
I purchased 9 of these lights to keep just about everywhere. $17.99 for three lights at Costco. Brighter than my Surefire 6P and they run on 3 AAA alkaline batteries. They have three modes, half power, full power and strobe. For the price they can't be beat.

These are a terrible choice for a car flashlight. They use 3-AAA batteries and have a high parasitic drain (they are constantly draining your batteries even when off). Worst yet they have a low battery indicator (LED in switch glows red). This means that if the battery voltage drops (due to cold weather) then the flashlight is going to totally drain your batteries in a couple of days.

I have 4 of these lights and they OK as long as you don't keep the batteries installed in them. Even in the house where it never gets cold the batteries only last 6 months tops. I had a fresh set of batteries go dead in less than a week last winter (tried it for car use).

If you can find lithium AAA batteries then that should take care of the low voltage problem, but you are still not going to get anything like the normal shelf life due to the parasitic drain issue. There are much better choices than these for car use.

Read the comments about these on the Amazon site. Lots of complaints about short battery life.

http://www.amazon.com/TechLite-Master-High-Intensity-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B003VCL4XQ

·
NRA Member
17,700 Posts
Fenix PD30. Very robust, uses the CR123s, has various luminance modes from 10 to 235, also has a strobe function. Great flashlight.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,187 Posts
For a car light I think a head-worn light makes the most sense. If you are working on a broke down car in the dark, you will love having a light strapped to your head.

I have one of these Rayovac 3 in 1 LED headlamps in my trunk emergency kit. Its not tactical, but it works and has useful light settings including a low RED setting for preserving night vision.

I also pocket carry a RA Twisty 85-Tr as well. It is "tactical" enough for me. Definitely not cheap, but it is incredibly high quality and is very well designed.

http://www.light-reviews.com/ra_twisty/
http://www.bisdow.com/raaa/ratwistyimage.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with the headlight LED lamp, will make things easier when you gotta do car repairs in the dark. I have the entire collection of Maglites, from 2D to 6D, and I like all of them. The 6D does make a formidable weapon, and if you upgrade it with the Malkoff light module, it's light output is impressive. I live out on 40 acres, and I can easily light up cows' and coyotes' eyes past 200 yards when it's focused. Maglite does sell an improved, brighter xenon-filled incandescent bulb to replace the stock krypton bulb (for all D lights), but it doesn't extend battery life.

You can even add Malkoff's crenellated bezel and pointed tailcap to give it more striking capabilities. The problem with Maglites is that they don't make LED lamps for their 5 and 6 D flashlights yet, but at least they make LED versions of the smaller lights. A good compromise is the 4D LED Maglite, good light output and battery life. Maglite sells mounting clamps for their D flashlights, as well as belt holster loops.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
I never thought I would use it when I opened the box, but doing some plumbing overhead the other day I used the little clip that came with my Photon Freedom micro light to clip it to my ballcap for a hands free light.

I can say this about Mag Lights, don't waste your money on a cheap TSC or Wally World LED conversion, better to buy high end or a different light. I converted one with an offbrand unit that cost as much as a flashlight and the tailcap is so sensitive that I have to keep the light twisted off to keep it from turning on just bumping around.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I just bought a Fenix TK45. its being shipped next week. Should be bright enough.

·
Supreme Member
3,634 Posts
Well, I was going to suggest a 3D maglight. I've carried one for many years and it's heavy enough to make a damn good head knocker if needed.
My thoughts exactly. But I keep a 4D Maglite in my car.

Sure there are much smaller lights with the same or even brighter output of the Maglite, but those don't have the swingability of the Maglite in emergency situations.

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
Maglite XL100. It has an accelerometer in it for infinite adjustment of power output, strobe frequency, and has SOS along with a signaling mode and night light. I love mine, but I'm not a flashlight snob either.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Something LED, AA, and loaded with lithium batteries. LED for battery life, AA for being the most common batteries on the planet, and lithium for long battery life both in use and storage.

I'd go with a headlamp before a flashlight. Just discovered the wonders of them recently, and the use of a headlamp vs. a hand held flashlight is even more of an eye opener than the use of a REAL gun belt vs. a department store belt. You will not believe how practical they are, and your hand held light will quickly become your secondary light.

·
Mrs Codivecop
2,365 Posts
That thing you have to shake to charge! It is supposed to be great for the car because you don't have to worry about dead batteries!

:supergrin:

·
Unfair Facist
23,385 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
After reading thru the posts I think I might get me a 2d Maglite LED for my truck.

Where are you guys buying yours from?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts