close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend dry catfoods for YOUR feline loves

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Builder, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Builder

Builder Always Learning

Months ago I was surfing the net, ran across some descriptions of what goes into most catfoods. Talk about embarrassed :embarassed: , I guess that catfood manufacturers must be made of sterner stuff than I. The thing that will enhance most anything for cats & dogs (and thus that which you find almost everywhere), is "sprayed fat". :yuck:

Sprayed fat??? So I went to PetsMart, and asked an assistant manager for some advice on dry catfoor that _I_ could eat (as I wanted my two feline loves to be eating healthy). She had two recommendations:

* Nutro (Natural Choice, Complete Care) --- I bought "Kitten", having one of those, and an older cat that I'd like to increase in weight.

* Royal Canin (Feline Health Nutrition) --- I bought (growth) "KITTEN 34", for the above reasons.

FWIW, Nutro's pretty bland, & Royal Canin tastes a little like sesame. I could exist on either for months, but sure wouldn't want to (the "boring" factor is quite high). And as I remember, prices for these were mid-range, they weren't the most expensive, but were more pricey than whatever was being pushed as "on-sale".

My :cat: loves always have a bowl of a mixture of the two, seem quite healthy; when I gave them separate bowls so as to watch selection, they preferred one over the other for a time, then switched preferences (so these "health foods" must be similar in desirability). However, they still want a daily (or more if they can beg it) ration of Sheba (hey, I like a "daily ration" of chocolate candy bars, I can completely understand).

P.S. I don't own stock in any companies mentioned, indeed I no longer own any stock whatsoever (but I have several indexed funds, spread the risk out, give me time to do other things than sweat over what any of them does). I'm not good enough at guessing when the worm turns, will have a lot more fun "losing" my money on target shooting :cool: than I will on the market (financially speaking, I live&die by the motto "Buy High Sell Low").

2. hankhan

hankhan Guest

My cats like tuna.

3. Steve #1

Steve #1

I've got one cat that's on a prescription diet so she doesn’t get a choice. The other two will eat anything you put in front of 'em. They are on Eagle Pack chicken and rice.

The best things about feeding cats a high quality food are that better for 'em, and it makes the litter box a lot more tolerable.

4. HarlDane

HarlDane

If it has corn, wheat, soy, or byproducts in it, STAY AWAY. A cats short digestive system can't digest most grains very well. More grains = More waste, and more smell, not to mention a fat unhealthy cat.

5. lil_miss_ak47

lil_miss_ak47

My kittys love the Friskes Feline Favorites with the Carnation milk chunchies in it:cat:! they also like the Meow Mix Sea Food Favorites:cat:

6. eleanor

eleanor

I use Nutro, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, and mix in a little Fancy Feast dry food (it really attracts them -- they LOVE it. Just a LITTLE)

There are so many different varieties of Royal Canin -- they even have specific formulations for Persians, Siamese, Maine Coons -- different formulas, different size kibble, etc. Right now I'm using a mix of "Skin Care" and "Intense Hairball".

There are an awful lot of "Super Premium" cat foods out there -- both dry and canned. Some are so expensive it almost seems they are made for the owners ego. Others claim special mixes of meat and veggies -- I tried one of those and found they tend to upset some cats stomach.

Since I feed both canned and dry food, I sometimes get upset by the cost. Recently I bought some inexpensive canned food (Tom Thumb house brand) that was on special sale. Another mistake -- they really don't eat it -- and when they do, they tend to throw it up. Not very cost effective -- and I've got to do a lot of clean up.

Oh well, relearn lessons time after time.

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Science Diet Lite for Max who is 13 pounds (on a diet)

Science Diet Dental care of Milo who is 8 pounds.

For the most part Max will stay eating the Lite formula, and leaves the Dental Care for Milo.......this works good......because I worry about Max's weight.......Lite Formula is 50% less fat and 20% less calories.

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Twice a day, we feed human quality tuna fish to our Maine Coon Cat. The label says, 'Hi-water light tuna'. Believe me, this cat ain't never tasted canned pet food and, only, eats exactly the same brand of canned tuna fish all the time.

There's always dry food left out for him, too. It's Science Diet's, 'Nature's Best' brand. Yes, it's expensive; but our veterinarian, both, sells and highly recommends it.

'Einstein' is very health and has a beautiful coat that I have to brush every morning when I get up. When he comes out from under the bed, later, I'll take a picture of him for ya! :)

http://naturesbest.sciencediet.com/products/feline.asp

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We feed Science Diet Hairball here. Anything else and Fred gets super sick :sad:

They get an occasional can as a treat but not very often :)