close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

recommend an electronic ear muff

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dakrat, Feb 17, 2010.

1. dakrat

dakrat

I am in the market for one and there are so many choices and prices ranges from $20-$300. I will be using this for competition shooting (IPSC) and trap. what do you recommend?

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I have the walkers quad muffs.

They are great, but I think that the quads are probably set up more for hunting ears than range protection.

I cannot say enough about how well I like the set I have.

3. m87

m87

The only set of electronic muffs I have are the Howard Leight Impact Sport. I paid less than $50 on amazon. I think they are great. Like most electronic muffs except for the most expensive ones, they don't have an exceptionally high NRR (I think they are 22), but I just wear a pair of earbuds under them and turn the volume up almost all the way until I can hear the amplification; the combo works well for me. They take 2AAA; not sure how long the battery life is, but it's enough for me and AAA are cheap. They are low-profile.

What's missing compared to higher price muffs, say over $100, is advanced circuitry. They do cut out with gunshots obviously, but they cut out long enough to not be able to hold a conversation with someone while shots are going off around you. According to what I've read, expensive muffs, like Pro-ears, cut in and out much faster and more smoothly, so you can talk with someone in such a situation.

4. opskmallory

opskmallory

I also have the Impact Sport's. My GF bought them for my birthday last year, and I think they were about $60.00 locally. They are great. I use them for recreational shooting and for firearms training at work. I'm happy with them, and the price is good. They are the same ones issued to our firearms training staff as well.

5. Nords

Nords

I bought the Peltor Sporttac ones and they are great. $120 at Cabelas I think. Do the job well. They even have an audio input so you can hook up an ipod or hunting radio or something else.

The only problem with them is when people try to talk to you at the range and someone else is shooting because you see their mouth moving, but you don't hear anything during the crack of the shot.

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

That or trying to talk to someone that has regular muffs on. It seems like they are yelling all the time. You hear them just fine at a regular talk level but have to yell so they can hear you.. It jacks with my head.

7. chris in va

chris in va

Trap...you'll want something low profile. Have a look at the Walker's Quad Muffs. I'm a big fan of true stereo surround sound versus the simple left/right stereo setup with other muffs. Midway has them for around $170 + shipping according to my latest catalog.

8. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

9. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Okay, we'll have to talk the more expensive option here. Forgive me.

I've tried about every different kind of muff you can imagine. We have a large shooting group, and we all have different stuff to try. These Peltor's cost about $269... so the upper range.

But I'd tried everything...and then I tried these. It blew everything else away. I decided that with as much time as I spend on the range, a good pair of ears was a worthy purchase. I haven't regretted it once.

The mics are perfect. You can continue to talk and hear WHILE you shoot. There's now "switch" between the two. Most muffs work in a way that you can hear pretty well through the mics until a shot is fired and they "cut off". These are a little different, and I cannot describe exactly how. But you can hear talking all the way through, and you never notice the cutoff. It's like it keeps speaking volumes amplified while only pulling out the other stuff. And you can hear small noises BETTER in these, so I've actually put them into a place where if I reach for my home defense gun and I have the time, I can put these on two. I can actually hear footsteps in my house in the dark better with these than without.

Extremely comfortable. I'd owned lots of different pairs of plugs, muffs, etc before. I gave all the others away after I got these. Easily worth the cost, which is something I don't usually say as I'm kind of a tight a**.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-MT15H6...5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1266512094&sr=8-15

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I'll second these in a second! Put ear plugs in and crank the volume up and you don't even notice the cut off if someone's talking to you when someone else is shooting.

Machine guns sound like waves, though. That's kinda cool.

11. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Not cheap but I love my Pro-Ears.

12. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

13. njl

njl Crusty Member

I've got the Dillon HP-1's. They're a little over $100 and have this same issue. For general shooting and hearing range commands while nobody's shooting, they're great. If you try to hold a conversation with someone while someone else is shooting, forget it. You won't hear them.

I think on one of the other boards, someone recently suggested a brand of electronic muffs I'd never heard of, and I think they were mostly available via ebay...but I can't seem to find that thread or remember enough about them to find them.