Recommend a web design book?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Sep 17, 2005.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I've been asked to make an attractive website from which employees can d/l (and maybe submit) documents. While I personally like the "big list o' files" concept, others want a "pleasing, state-of-the-art" look (I'm not making this up). I can plod my way through the technical details, but art just escapes me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ngray

ngray

I wouldn't be asking web design questions, but rather Content Management (CMS) questions.

If you use Windows Servers at work, consider:
    1) MS Sharepoint Portal Server (grandaddy)
    2) DotNetNuke
    3) A .Net Wiki, such as flexwiki, sushiwiki, aspwiki, or openwikidotnet

If you use free-open source (OSS) Servers, consider:
    1) phpwiki
    2) phpnuke

The advantage with a cms is that after it's done, updating can be democratized to all or specific users. If others can't update it, it dies. It's a intranet rule. Most of the above do not afford you art-Est-ic control over the pages. Don't get bogged down in look and feel bull, you'll forget the main point. Most of the above look decent anyway, but offer skins on top of that. In fact I KNOW that there are 3rd party skins for DotNetNuke that you can download.

Good luck, and if you DO want to let your inner artist run free, don't bother with books for now. Start Here:
    wpdfd <- Learn to organize a site and a web project.
    useit.com <- Usability. For the love of God, learn this first
    wpdfd <- Learn the why's of design
    w3schools <- Learn all the technical stuff

Lastly, it helps to feel better than someone in the long journey of developing web sites. You'll find those someones here:
    http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://monstertemplate.com

go there and get ideas about what you think looks good, then use it for "inspiration" when designing your own site.

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Thanks, guys. I'll have a look. I'll be using Apache to host this and I want to go open source as much as possible (i.e., all ;))