GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a Dyson for about 15 years, still works great but we just moved to a place with lots of carpeted stairs, and it's not very convenient for that.

So, we're considering either a new small hand-held vac with a good brush head to use on the stairs to suplement the Dyson

Or,.... a new vac that does it all.

Suggestions?

·
Anti-Federalist
18,826 Posts
I use a shop vac for wood floors and and a regular upright for what little carpet I have. The shop vac is convenient on stairs.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,653 Posts
Stairs are not a big deal to vacuum; just awkward. Any size you or your family members can handle will work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,251 Posts
Central vac

Reactions: oneofthose

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I have a Hoover model that has the built-in hose for attachments and a handheld brush attachment. The vacuum suction powers the brush really well. Easily gets into the edges and corners.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I’ve been using my shop-vac more & more. Our regular vacuums are marginal.

The guy has been trying to talk me into a $1500 Riccar vacuum, salesman. I’m unlikely to bite.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,251 Posts
Pretty sure the time for that is when you're still building the house :supergrin:
Easier if it was a ranch, but steps would not be such an issue. I would like to have had one in my ranch w/basement but never got around to it.

Reactions: oneofthose

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
We have more vacuums than anyone should have. Not sure why your Dyson standup wouldn't still work. We have a couple and they are great, but you say it doesn't so, I will move to other types.

We have Roombas (don't ask why when we have the Dyson stand ups). I do not recommend them for stairs. Wait until the teach them to climb, and then I would not trust them. When we have it running and I sit down to eat while it is charging, it fires up and comes straight for me.

We have a Dyson V6 and V10 handhelds. The V10 is significantly better. On low it is about as good as the V6 is on high, and the battery last a lot longer.

You would have to have a small place for a stick to do the whole job and you do it in phases. If you go that path, there is the Dyson V11. A little more powerful than the V10, and an extra battery so you can swap them and keep vacuuming.

·
Just lack finishing up
3,599 Posts
Get the Dyson V7 Animal with all the attachments. One is a smaller beater/brush head that is perfect for stairs.

Plenty of suction - you'll be amazed at how much dirt, dust, hair and crud this machine picks up.

And, like Fullclip, I vaccum way more often because the machine is lighter and NO CORD. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Looks interesting, doesn't look like the little thing would have much suction though?
I hate Dysons, I can't stand that guys annoying pompous commercials but I bought the V8 from Costco about a year ago and it is awesome. LOTS of suction, you can't have it on MAX on carpet because it is too hard to push and you can feel it is stuck to the floor on regular.

That said, I am sure there are others that are just as good and I have since seen there is a guy that does very in depth reviews on vacuum cleaners so I would go by his latest suggestion.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Central vac

We had one of those when I was a kid, seems like the pipes in the wall were always clogged. Something would get stuck in an elbow and then it would fill up.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have more vacuums than anyone should have. Not sure why your Dyson standup wouldn't still work. We have a couple and they are great, but you say it doesn't so, I will move to other types.

We have Roombas (don't ask why when we have the Dyson stand ups). I do not recommend them for stairs. Wait until the teach them to climb, and then I would not trust them. When we have it running and I sit down to eat while it is charging, it fires up and comes straight for me.

We have a Dyson V6 and V10 handhelds. The V10 is significantly better. On low it is about as good as the V6 is on high, and the battery last a lot longer.

You would have to have a small place for a stick to do the whole job and you do it in phases. If you go that path, there is the Dyson V11. A little more powerful than the V10, and an extra battery so you can swap them and keep vacuuming.
The 'ol Dyson does the job just fine, but the wife doesn't like dragging it up and down the stairs, and it's a little too heavy and bulky for her to do the stairs easily.

I do like the idea of a roomba, then maybe just a hand vac for the stairs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts