close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a good protein shake?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bow Commander, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

Hey there,

I'd like to drink a shake of some sort for breakfast and supplement my lunch. Trying to cut the poundage.

Anyone have one you recommend?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I use Optimum Nutrition. 24g of protein per scoop, and I use two scoops per shake in probably 20 or 24 ounces of milk. As a bonus, add a tablespoon or so of milled flax seeds for the fiber (fiber's important).

It mixes really well, and while it's not cheap, every flavor I've tried tastes good.

I buy mine from dpsnutrition.net

3. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Muscle Milk LIGHT version has very little if any sugar and lots of protein. The regular Muscle Milk has too much sugar - imho.

4. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I use Elite XT by Dymatize because it has casein protein as well as whey. Casein protein takes longer to digest and keeps me full longer, more importantly it helps control insulin spikes and it has a great branched chain amino acid profile. It's also low calorie compared to many others and blends well in water.

I will also say that Optimum Nutrition makes excellent whey proteins and you probably can't go wrong with their products.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

It depends on what one's aim is, but if they're trying to cut weight like the OP is, I agree.

6. windplex

windplex

eas 100% whey 23 protien per scoop. i like vanilla. you might prefer a mix with more carbs or calories per dose to gain weight, but this one tastes good.

read in a nutrition book that someone who has trouble gaining at say 2000 2500 calories may well require sustained 3500 calories to get their wieght off the dime. apparently people's bodies who have trouble gaining can take a calorie spike over a short time period and simple use the energy in the calories less efficiently and thereby not gain.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. windplex

windplex

Oops sorry misread you wanted to gain not loose.

Protein takes more energy to metabolize than carbs. so higher % of protein and lower percentage of carbs might help you. drop potatoes, carrots, breads etc or cut them. not all veggies are made equally.

increasing muscle mass helps burn more cals. all the time, not only when you work out.

good luck!

8. windplex

windplex

personally i dont add salt to anything. buy all the nuts but one without out salt and none are oiled. dont add sugar to anything. eat a high protien diet. work out. feels quite good. muscle recovery is remarkable and considering im 54 all the more remarkable.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Isn't steak full of protein? :dunno:

Jack

10. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Steak is full of protein, and has the added benefit of being really tasty.

11. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

Thank you for the suggestions thus far. I will research them all.

By the way I eat, you'd think I should be fairly skinny, but I am not. I am not "fat", but I do have a big frame (think footbal lineman) and have a few too many pounds on the frame. My problem is finding time to work out as much as i'd like. So I'm trying to cut down my intake more to help cut weight faster. I also plan to increase the workout frequency so I lose weight in a healthy way.

Gioajack- Often times for dinner I have about a 6oz serving of steak and some cottage cheese. A very tasty dinner indeed. I'm just wanting something easy to do for breakfast and lunch supplement so I don't over eat, but still eat enough not to pass out, lol.

12. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Love optimum nutrition protein. My favorite flavors are mint chocolate and cake batter. The protein mixes well and tastes great. The scoop size is rather small for the amount of protein is in it.

Flax seed oil compliments a protein shake perfectly.

13. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Protein shakes dont replace any of my meals. They supplement them in-between (perfect when working in an office).

14. Glock13

Glock13

Another vote here for Optimum or Dymatize. I use both depending on which one is cheaper. I usually mix it with a banana, a couple of strawberries, a little bit of orange juice and the rest water. If you are trying to cut weight, drop the orange juice and some of the fruit.

15. Cincy2

Cincy2

Nature's Best IsoPure Zero Carb protein powder. Been using for 15 years. Great taste, no carbs. High in protein. Available from DPS Nutrition website. They have a great price.

Cincy

16. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Sometimes I'll have a protein shake with a meal. :supergrin:

17. SunGunner

SunGunner

Optimum Nutrition "Pro Complex"

18. OUSooner

OUSooner

I use Complete Nutrition products. For protein powder I buy the Titan in 5lb jugs. My morning shakes after workout consist of 1 scoop of that, half a cup of natural peanut butter, 1 banana, and 1 tbs. of oats. Mix that all up in a blender with 1% milk and it's packed with protein. I'm good to go past lunch most days as it really feels you up.

http://www.completenutrition.com/all_products/product_detail?object=6084

19. mortpes

mortpes

Look at glycerna. It is available in the pharmacies and has a low glycemic index.

20. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

last year i had a 2,600 miles drive back home. filled up a cooler with blue power aid, banana flavored muscle milk, and granola bars from walmart. almost 4 days driving, not many stops except for getting coffee when i did not feel like taking a no-doz.