close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a good, inexpensive light weight

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mossy500camo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Spinning reel & rod. Will be used this Spring for Bream, and other sunfish.

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I've got about dozen light spinning (open faced) rod/reel combos.

For some reason, I like the lever cast/fire feature/dohickey on a spinning reel.

I ended up buying most of them when I was out of town and had the opportunity to do a little fishing.

One of the ones I like and have used the most; believe it or not is a Shakespeare. This summer I was fishing at my cousins 5yr old stocked 30 acre lake for bass and ended up catching the lake record size (for all specis) - nasty grass carp. It was around 20 something lbs, on an ultra light with a smaller bass crank bait. And yes, the lure was in the carp's sucker. It was ripping off line like an Amber Jack heading for the bottom. Never seen anything like that in fresh water. All my cousin could do was laugh at me until we neted it and then all he could say was "wow - hand me the tagger". I've caught 20-30 carp when fishing for trout at Possum Kingdom lake below the dam, but only with kernal corn off the bottom.

Anyway back to your point, I have also had decent luck with the shimano and zebco combos.

I'd definately go with the pre-packaged combo since it will save you a good deal of $s. Try wally world for the best deal.

3. noway

noway

Falcon Rod light or ultralight with a Okuma avenger would be my #1 pick. Get the reel with the smallest bell and lace it up with #4 or possible #2 if you don't have alot of trash,brushes and other items to get hanged up.

This setup will allow you to cast ultra light jigs with accuracy and very sensitive and the lite weight thin line is just about invisible in clear or stained waters.

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Nice Thanks for the cool story and the info.;c

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

The real story is that we were catching and tagging 4-6 lb lg mouth bass and cat fish left and right with medium tackle. I switched to the ultra light for a little entertainment (caught several 4 lb bass with it). Then after loosing a couple of really good strikes, I lowered the drag considerably - that's the only thing that saved me on the carp.

Good day!

6. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Cool!:cool:

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Are these the ones for $20+? If so NICE.;c

8. GeorgiaGlockMan

I've had good luck with some of the cheapos. $20 sounds about right for the lower end. If you bought the reel and rod separately you'd pay close to 2x that.

I'd expect to pay $30-40 for a decent combo that you can get alot f use from.

I've got combos in price ranges from $20 to $300

9. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Oh Ok.^c