Recommend a good black powder rifle

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by plainsman, Feb 17, 2010.

1. plainsman

plainsman

I am looking to try blackpowder hunting, and would like to know a good black powder rifle in terms of easy loading, cleaning, features, etc, which I would also mount a scope on. Just looking for something quality, not necessarily expensive I hope. Thanks!

2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Not the right forum, but Savage makes good ones for hunting. They are modern, not traditional if that makes a difference.

3. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

First, check your state and local regulations for where you want to hunt. Some states require primitive "flinter only" designs. In others, you can use something that looks like a an Olympic rifle, so long as it uses blackpowder.

My info is old, but Pennsyltucky used to require flints only, and doubt if they would allow scopes, but some have mutiple seasons.

If you want more modern feature, check out Thompson arms.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Look up Dixie Gun Works. Take the plunge and go flint or cap. Inlines make me sick.

5. bambikilr

bambikilr

Thompson or CVA...alot of choices out there now, but have to agree with Squawman..check the regs before you buy...you can spend anywhere from 200 up to 800....just depends on what's gonna work for you...took me two & half years to find a good load to shoot, but on a rest sub 1" at 100 yards with mine...good luck & it gives ya anohter excuse to be in the woods...

6. Ol'Slabsides

Ol'Slabsides

Depends on why you're buying it. If it's to extend your season with the most accurate rifle-like weapon available, an inline is the easy choice. I have a TC Encore that I shoot out to 125-150 yards with all the confidence of my .30-06.

If you're looking to add challenge or stick to the "pure" muzzleloading, go with Bates' advice. Those guns are shweeeeet!!

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

as said above, some states have it where during a general hunt you can use "newer" black powder designs,

but during the muzzleloader only hunt, its exactly that, muzzleloader , no optics, no nothing ..

8. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I have always wanted a New England muzzleloader with the break-open design (think single shot shotgun). They use 209 primers and you can get them in a combo with a shotgun or rifle barrel. Made here in the US of A.

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

You don't sound like a traditionalist, so I would look at a TC Encore. You can get ML barrels as well as the cartridge barrels. Easy to scope, decent trigger etc. As stated, check the game laws.

10. CajunBass

CajunBass

I was looking for the same thing last fall. I didn't care two hoots about "traditional", I wanted something to use during the early "muzzleloading" (not primative) deer hunting season, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I might not like it for all I knew.

I found a CVA "Wolf" 50 cal at my local store for less than $300.00 with an inexpensive 3x9x32 scope already mounted and all the gizmo's that I needed to shoot it (777 powder pellets, bullets, caps, cleaning stuff, etc.).

[​IMG]

I didn't kill a deer with it this fall, but that wasn't the guns fault. It's plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. About the only down side I found to it is the ramrod that comes with it is a cheap, aluminum one, more suited to being a curtain rod than a ramrod. It'll work, but I went ahead and bought another one piece fiberglass rod for range use.

Cleaning is a snap. At the range I just pull the breach plug and run a few patches moistened with a black powder solvent down the bore every couple, three shots. At home I use hot water and soap. Pipe cleaners are good for cleaning the breach plug.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  11. Just1More

Just1More

Thompson Center Triumph. Excellent gun and very easy to clean.

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I didn't know squat about blackpowder until my wife bought one.

After having shot it, cleaned it, hunted with it, and compared it to what other guys were hunting with, I'd highly recommend the exact model she bought.

Traditions Pursuit LT Accelerator .50 caliber.
    http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R74103557

It is already drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Mine came in a package with the scope installed.

It uses a 209 primer (shotgun primer), and is very easy to load and clean, easy to place the primer in there because it breaks open like a shotgun. You can see at the back of the barrel that there is a breech plug that unscrews. You can unscrew it by hand, and then easily clean the barrel. It also comes with a wrench if you need more force.

I've seen some other guys use their bolt action style muzzleloaders, and what a pain to get the primer in and out. I'd much prefer the break open style.