Recommend a good and popular (lots of content) PTP transfer program...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Sep 5, 2007.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

Back in the day, I used to use kazaa and bear share. I have not used any PTP programs in a long time though. So, I am wondering what is currently of interest, particularly desiring to avoid malware/spyware and to find one with a decent amount of users/content.

TED

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I think P2P has been largely supplanted by bittorrent. I'm sure there are still some good P2P networks, but find some good torrent trackers and a good torrent client (uTorrent) and there's plenty of content to be shared.

A couple of points:
    1. It's not anonymous and while you're downloading, you're also uploading. In other words, if you're downloading something you shouldn't, the RIAA or MPAA could hold you liable for hosting the files.
    2. There are quite a few legitimate avenues that are using torrents to ease their hosting burden (Linux distros, public domain images and music, etc.)[/list=1]
      Joey

3. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Ted,
    The peer to peer programs to download content are independent of the places to find downloads. For example, Bitcomet is a program that does the downloading and isohunt is a site that has downloads.
    Wikipedia has explanations of the Bittorrent protocols.
    Peerguardian by Phoenix labs is an IP blocker that can block unwanted snooping into your transfers.(Phoenix Labs and the PeerGuardian team do not condone copyright infringement. There are many legal uses of P2P and we are sick of being treated like criminals! We want to keep organizations and individuals from collecting data about us without our consent.)