close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a free fitness diary/log-?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by filthy infidel, Feb 22, 2010.

1. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

I've been diligent about my fitness lately and would like to track my exercises and info on the puter. I don't care for the Excel spreadsheets, just looking for something that's easy to update and perhaps show trends.
    Running 7.
    Thanks!

2. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Sorry, FI. I use a home grown xls file. Some of us post our "log", of sorts, in the Good/Bad/Ugly thread as well, and PRs in the PR/milestones thread. I enjoy the on-line social aspect those threads. Keeps me motivated and I enjoy seeing others' progress here in our little corner of the interweb.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I do too. It gives me some accountability.

To track my workouts on a day to day basis, I keep a notebook with me in my bag.

I use BradD's excel spreadsheet he made to use 5/3/1 since we're basically doing the same program, and I track the calculations on there.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I suugest you start a thread here i which you log your daily workout. The very first post will contain 2 sections. The first wuld be the log of your first workout. The second will be your PRs. Update the PRs by editing the first post whenever you acheive a new PR.

5. BradD

BradD

I guess I kinda have 2 logs now: 5/3/1 excel spreadsheet and a word file that is just a big table, 7 columns wide (1 per day of the week) that I just go in and fill with whatever I did on a given day. Also type in there when I first noticed a pain here or there, bodyweight, rough description of what I ate if I feel like typing it, etc.

6. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

This guy has something that's currently in beta testing that looks like it might be worth using when done. Granted it lacks the social aspects of this particular group, but it seems like it could be quite handy. It says it will be released in Q1.

http://bodyshop.johnstonefitness.com/

7. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Your post got me to thinking about tracking my exercises using my Blackberry Curve. I went to Crackberry.com and found the Gymtechnik.com web site. The site offers a free basic and paid premium membership for building, logging and tracking fitness routines. The site has pre-built routines or you can design your own. With the premium membership you can download a smartphone app that will sync to the web site so you can either input workout data into your phone or on to the web. With the basic subscription, you can access your online account using their mobile address at m.gymtechnik.com

You can also input body stats like weight, body fat %, and other key measurements. You can chart/graph changes for a visual on your progress.

When my shoulder gets healthy I'm going to give the site a try.

8. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

I always found it too inconvenient to carry a computer around while I was lifting weights. :rofl:

Additionally I was afeart a 45lb plate would prolly bash the 'puter to bits. :whistling:

So, I use a small notebook and pen. I am not much into analysis but having been at this for 30 years or more I can spot trends and such simply by reviewing years worth of data.

9. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

No need for a 'puter. Your web-enabled smartphone will do the trick. I've noticed that most everyone at my fitness center keeps their cell phone with them while they work out. It would be just as easy to enter info into the smartphone during a rest cycle as it would in a written log.

For those who like to analyze their workouts, it may be a useful tool.