Recommend a flash hider for 3-gun..

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jed Cooper, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper

that won't affect back pressure. I want to deck-out a new upper in 5.56
    There are so many to choose from.

2. Brass3

Brass3

Marco is the 3-Gun professional ( to me that is ) ask him :dancingbanana:

3. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Flash Hiders and Comps do not affect the pressure in the barrel at all. If you want to control sight movement for speed (the MAIN purpose of a comp on 3-Gun ARs) yes, there are a lot of choices. Some are crap and some are pretty good. I am going to assume you meant concussion.

For folks starting out, I recommend the Miculek. It is effective and cheap, about $40. It adds concussion though, as do most of the comps above that price point. The three that I use and recommend below do not add concussion like so many do, but they are still effective.

Dynamic Resistance. $75, very effective, black or stainless, lightweight. I have these on several of my guns.

Seekins Precision. $90, a tad better, black and stainless, heavier. I use these as well.

Gas Hog. $140, about the same, stainless only. Light and effective, no detrimental affect on accuracy and will outlast most barrels.

Those three were all designed with CFD and they work really well with an intent to minimize concussion to the shooter. Yes, I designed the Gas Hog and tested the DR comp. I also designed 4 or 5 others, but they do not yield the dollar cost benefit of these.

There are certainly other comps out there that do one or more things better. If you want to get into the weeds, Patrick Kelley wrote a two part series on comps. Most people give them way more credit than is due. A low mass carrier is more important than a high dollar comp.

happie2shoot likes this.
  4. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I run a surefire brake:
    http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-556-1-2-28.html
    That's bc that's what my NST upper came with.

I've built a rifle with the seekins comp and liked it a lot, really tamed the rifle.

I think the miculek is gonna be your point of diminishing returns. You can spend more, but not sure how much double or triple the price is going to relate to added performance.

MarkCO likes this.
  5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

6. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper

I decided on the Seekins. I hope to get the upper put together this weekend. I'm waiting on the crows foot wrench coming in the mail today. Thx for the info gentlemen.

7. 2400fps10mm

2400fps10mm Civil Defense 60gr Fragmenting 10mm 2,400fps

Assuming you meant COMPENSATOR and not FLASH HIDER (which has no role outside of lessening your muzzle flash in combat)... there is the GOGUN SUPERCOMP and then there is everything else. Get one and thank me later.

8. DesertGlock20

DesertGlock20 Semper Vigilis

You might want to look at a VG6 Epsilon or Gamma, which is a flow designed compensating muzzle brake. I have the Epsilon on my AK and it appears to be quite effective in doing the job as advertised.

9. Brass3

Brass3

What's the web sight?

10. DesertGlock20

DesertGlock20 Semper Vigilis