close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a cruiser bike.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Mar 12, 2010.

1. vart

vart

Thinking about selling my dual sport and son's outgrown dirt bike and getting a cruiser that my wife and I can take on short trips in the area.

We owned a Harley Road King that was customized that we really enjoyed but needed to sell to buy our house.

My uncle used to own a Honda dealership back in the 80's and a couple of months ago rolled up on a later model Honda Shadow that was customized and really cool.

Seems like everyone owns a Harley around my area and they are 2 to 3 times more expensive than a comparable Jap bike.

I'm looking for a bike that is comfortable enough for 2 on a 150 mile round day trip, reliable, and looks cool.

I really like the HOnda Shadow Aero models, but am open to Yamaha or whatever if they are reliable.

I know nothing about the pro's and con's of the different cruisers as far as reliability, price, ability to customize, etc.

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 The one & only

Best bet is to go ride them at the dealer during demo days or whatever. Some will let you ride any time. Just about every make/model is reliable nowadays

3. ranger56528

ranger56528

Interesting,I own 2 HD's(Av pic)and Iam looking into buying a KLR650 to get off the beatin path...

A lot of nice cruisers out there you just need to go and ride as many as you can and make your own choise from there.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. vart

vart

The only dealer within 20 miles of me is a Yamaha dealer, so I think I'll head down there now and see what they have...

5. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Look on ebay for a Harley or check repo auctions. The economy has hurt everyone so the real cruisers are available for less money.

6. Kona2004

Kona2004

I have a Suzuki Boulevard M50. Not to pricey and does the job for me. My wife occasionally rides but she doesn't care for the passenger seat.

7. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Damn.. I opened this thread expecting to type: "Schwinn".. :wow:

Otherwise, I'm partial to HD's.. best of luck in your quest!!

8. chris in va

chris in va

I've had a number of metric cruisers, by far the most comfortable is my old Goldwing. No it's not what you're wanting, but something to think about if you'd like to have ultimate in smooth, powerful and comfort. Used 1800's can be had for around $10k if you look around. Even the older 1200's are pretty quick.

I rescued my 83 1100 from a guy's pasture. Paid $500, put another $400 into a carb rebuild and other minor things, it runs like nothing will stop it. The bike is the most neutral handling one I've ever been on. No push, drama or fuss, just turns and goes where it's pointed.

9. CSnakes

CSnakes

Check out the Yamaha Road Star, classic styling, decent range and power and a ton of reasonably priced aftermarket parts and accessories.

Check this place out: http://roadstarclinic.com/

10. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

I second the Road Star. My first street bike was a V-Star 650 Classic. Very fun and economical cruiser, made several trips to Sturgis and was very comfy on it. Sold the V-Star last year, looking at a couple of Road Stars now.

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

I switched to Yamaha after owning a Kawasaki 800 cruiser for a while. I picked up a Yamaha V-Star 1100 and a Road Star Midnight Star 1600.

The Yamaha's were really nice bikes for the money and I enjoyed them.

The Road Star was 'customized' a bit ... :whistling:

I finally tired of the noise and traded it in after about 23K miles on a Yamaha Stratoliner 1900 Midnight.

I was amazed at how much better of a bike the Stratoliner was than the Road Star. The lightweight aluminum frame and new front end geometry made for a much better handling riding experience and the increase in power was startling for such a small increase in displacement. It was a stronger, better bike than my Road Star had been after being customized. The handling in turns on mountain roads was significantly better than with my Road Star.

Yamaha also came out with a liquid-cooled 1300 V-twin series that seems to be an excellent compromise between the earlier 1100's and the larger 1700/1900 bikes, too. More of the typical Japanese sport bike technology built into a V-twin. If I hadn't wanted a bigger bike than the Road Star I'd have seriously looked at the new 1300's.

I didn't care for the Kawi offerings and the Honda models are becoming pretty homogenized.

The Suzi big bikes have been revised and repackaged (remember the Intruder series?), and their biggest is a sport bike in loose V-twin clothing.

I'm thinking about adding a second bike in the next year or two, myself. I'm feeling like I'd like to have something a bit smaller in the 'dual sport' category. Something I won't mind taking on gravel or level dirt roads ... but something with an acceptable saddle and not a dirt bike with an upholstered frame. My dirt bike days are long past. ;)

Maybe a V-strom. Dunno.

I think the Yamaha's are worth considering, though.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. roginoz

roginoz

I'm more of a sport touring guy, but I've noticed that the cruiser riders seem to like the Honda VTX1300. Oddly, many prefer the 1300 to the 1800. I believe they have a model with factory hard saddlebags, too. All of the Japanese bikes seem reliable, but I've had good luck with Hondas.

13. vart

vart

Awesome resonses!

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

When it comes to old man's ride, any will do. They're all slow and sloppy.

15. ucfCIVIL31

ucfCIVIL31

Fastbolt,

I have a DL1000 (V-Strom). I enjoy riding it though I tend to stay on the black top. I can't give much insight to other bikes as this is my first. I have been happy so far with the v-twin. It's definitely a lot of bike for a beginning rider but I've done well so far.

16. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

17. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yeah, the factories have apparently finally realized that there's a market for middle-sized cruisers that have some useful accessories and some decent power without having to wade through accessory catalogs and risk tripping over breaking a smog law or voiding a warranty. It's about time.

Honda was a bit slower to throw some extra horses into their smaller cruisers, but it looks like they've realized they were missing out on a part of the market by bringing out their 1300. Too bad the 1800 suffered, though.

The other Japanese makers are seemingly aiming at the entire market, from small to big.

The sport touring market has been a bit unpredictable in its offerings to Americans, but then we probably confuse them with our whims and fickle interest. ;)

I tried to like HD's ... my brother has owned a number of them and I've had many friends who own, or have owned, them.

It's just that the Japanese bikes can offer power, quality (maintenance) and smooth comfort without having to break the bank at the accessory counter ... or making the service manager look over both shoulders when trying to cover something under warranty when you have to dig deep underneath the 'performance' accessories to find the original bike. :whistling:

I like to ride my bikes, not spend hours cleaning and maintaining them (or modifying them).

Something I was finally glad to see is that some of the Japanese V-twin motors are finally starting to look more like motors and less like plastic-shrouded scooters and plumbing nightmares. HD has always had great looking motors when it comes to appearance and automotive aesthetics.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Thanks. I've listened to some pleased owners/riders of the 1000 version, although I'm hearing that the smaller 650 version seems to have even more happy owners. Interesting.

I think I'll be looking at both a little later. Since it's going to be a 1-up bike and I'm not a big guy, the smaller version may suffice. Time will tell.

19. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

That's pretty good coming from someone who rides a little girls moped. :tongueout: :rofl:

20. 357ruger

357ruger

I have a honda VTX1300R and love it.Plenty of power and I replaced the factory seat with a mustang and factory pipes to cobra's.Factory seat smarts after about 30mi.:crying: