Recommend a camera

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Usingmyrights, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

I'm not shutter bug. I occassionally take pictures, but when I do I'm usually after close up clear shots. Wanting to get a digital camera of a decent quality at a decent price. My ex had a KM Z6 that was 6MP and had 12x optical zoom. I don't recall how much digital zoom it had, but I'm really after the optical. So whats out there with features like this? I know that camera is a couple years old. I saw an add for a Sony Cyber-shot. It had 8MPs and 15x zoom for $479. Just looking for suggestions for cameras wit features in this range or better, and I'm wanting to stay under $500. Under $400 is even better, but I know you get what you pay for.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

By close up, do you mean from up close, or do you want to zoom out far? There is a quality penalty to economy cameras with long zoom, so depending on what you want to photograph, you may be better off with a smaller zoom.

3. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Both actually. Not super close up shots, such as standing over something and trying see the molecules of it with the zoom. OK, slight exaggeration, but you get the drift. Things such as the hawks that are in my yard daily. Close up shots of parts of my collection. Things like that.

I know that with zoom you lose picture quality with less expensive cameras. Thats one reason why I want a high MP, even though I'll be blowing up few pictures. Also why I wanted the zoom optical since that tends to lead to higher quality of digital. What price range would you recommend, if $500 won't get me something decent.

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

5. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Thats the thing is I'm not after alot of high end options. good MP and zoom, anti shake would be nice, decent flash for if its dark. Maybe I should just find a KM Z6 somewhere.