Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Bitter American
1,941 Posts
Yes, my SP-101 was 100% reliable in function with factory springs, but the trigger pull weight was, as mentioned, horrible. This being a known problem with the SP-101 I was surprised Ruger couldn't do anything about it. After installing lighter springs and getting failures to fire I checked firing pin protrusion, depth of cylinder recesses, and end shake, all were in spec. Called Ruger and asked about a fix, they said anything under 22lbs(!) DA pull weight was in spec. I installed the original parts and sold the gun at a loss. My 1960's vintage S&W 34 has a DA pull of 12 lbs but feels lighter than that as it is smooth with no stacking. I wish ruger had gotten a decent trigger on the 22 cal SP, because the gun was otherwise quite nice, and a 4.2" SP I have in 357 has a very nice trigger both DA and SA. It is my usual choice for walks in the woods loaded with 38 special +P level plated wadcutter rounds loaded in Starline 357 brass.
Wow. That's good info to know about the SP101. I've wanted one for quite awhile but won't look for one too hard any longer.

· Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Guys, Thank you to everyone that replied. You’ve given me some good info to digest. I’m kind of leaning toward the 317 but I also want to look at the LCRx.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Used to be the Model 63, but I think they were discontinued. They're on gunbroker, but not cheap.
The 63 (and 34) were exactly the ones I had in mind but even though I can't imagine S&W discontinuing them, as you mentioned they're probably discontinued and replaced with something with an 8 shot cylinder... I haven't seen a new 34 or 63 in a shop in... .... .... decades?

· Registered
35 Posts
The LCRx SA pull is pretty good but the DA pull is brutal. But if weight is your top priority they're featherweight. And man are they pricey.
pre-lock S&W 63 is IMHO as good as it gets but you'll pay to get a good one, when you find one.
One the bottom end of the price rainbow is the old High Standard Double 9, the same thing Diamindback is cloning. my Double 9 is super light but fits my hand as well as any medium sized revolver. Despite the single action style it's a DA/SA with a swing out cylinder.
I've not heard good things about Diamondback's version which matches my bad experience with a DB380.
Another budget option would be Charter Arms

· Registered
109 Posts
I want something lighter than a S/W 617. Preferably double action but I’d consider a quality single action like Ruger. Something readily available, I don’t want to hunt for months for one.
Ruger makes the SP101 in .22 but I’ve never seen one in person.
I have a DA Ruger LCR. I'm quite fond of it. The only issue I had with it was the cylinder release broke. S&W repaired it promptly and I've had no problems since.

On a side note, I also have a S&W 351 PD, a 7 round .22 WMR. Fully loaded it's 13 ounces, 3 less than my LCR. It is a bit pricier, but you get more firepower in a more reliable round.

Good luck with your search and safe shooting all!

· Registered
2,453 Posts
I bought a Dan Wesson .22 with an 8 inch barrel many years ago. It is a little bulky, but I love shooting it and it is really accurate. Interchangeable barrels, 2 1/2 inch to 10 inch.

· Registered
26 Posts
I like my Ruger SP 101 8rd .22lr. Yes there are the know issue with the trigger weights. I have come to live with mine and I shoot the SP better than I shot the GP 100 .22lr that I sold. Mostly shooting single action with the SP. The SP is accurate, durable and light enough for field use. The GP was heavy and not suited to field use for a .22lr--I had the 4 inch barrel.

I'd look at the Ruger LCRx if I was buying new today but would not discount the SP. If your looking for the most excellent double action trigger an old Smith seems the way to go.

If I was going single action I'd look at the Single Six--it's a classic for a reason. Or if going used an H&R can be found at good quality and price point.

The Charter Arms was mentioned. I almost bought one about the time I heard that Ruger was going to be releasing the SP in .22lr, so I waited and stashed away a little more money for when the SP's came out.

· DEPLORABLE ME!
12,204 Posts
Look into a S&W Model 17. I believe they lack the full lug of the 617.

· Registered
5,571 Posts
Look into a S&W Model 17. I believe they lack the full lug of the 617.
I found a 17-3 on Gunbroker.
3 T's
Very nice condition.....blue 6" no underlug
$765

Take your time and look them over good.
Then look them over again......everything....seller.....shipping....description and the pics

· Venor ergo sum
"94% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones" CPRC
6,531 Posts
S&W Model 18... first gun i ever bought, GREAT plinker!!
This.

When working as an instructor years ago I used to have access to model 18’s for use during remedial training classes for LEOs that carried revolvers. Great gun and some of the sweetest shooting .22 rimfires I’ve ever handled. Think 4” model 15/Combat Masterpiece in .22 LR. I’ve been wanting one for years.

Reactions: G30 Medic

· Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
S&W 63 S&W still makes them but only in limited runs. Small, stainless w/ 3" barrel. Great little gun, I had to send it back to S&W several times to fix a problem, but once fixed it is a great gun.
I've been looking at the 63. Mind saying what the problem was?

· Registered
9,073 Posts
I wanted a little larger .22. I had been casually looking locally for a used S&W double action revolver for years. My preference was for a K-frame. I bought this 1946 (serial # K 65XXX) K-22 Masterpiece at the local Cabela's for $550. It has blueing wear and the wrong grips for half of the new model 17 price. I'm happy with it, just need to shoot it more.

Wood Grey Sleeve Trigger Gun accessory

21 - 40 of 49 Posts