close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

recomendation in reloading for .40 glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by perro loco, Aug 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. perro loco

perro loco

hello, do somebody have a tip for me, i´m new in reload

how many times can use a case?
    what bullet weigth is the best?

i don´t wanna have a KB, so please, write some lines for me

thanks

perro loco

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Safe and proven target/match load:

180-gr fmj over 4.0-gr of Winchester Super Target
    O.A.L. of 1.135 inches
    Federal primers
    Lee Factory crimp die.

3. VADER

VADER Senior Member

i dont understand why people would want to use reload ammo. we all know the consequences 'kA-BOOM" but yet we all do it.

;F"USE THE DARK SIDE OF THE GLOCK"

4. DannyR

Vader,

Reloads do not cause KaBooms. Lousy, sloppy, overpowered or double charged reloads cause Kabooms. Reloads of unknown components cause Kabooms. Folks like me that shoot a lot (I shoot 12K to 15K rounds per year) reload for both economy and accuracy. I have fired over 12K rounds of my reloads through my G24C without the first problem. My 1996 G19 has nearly 40K rounds through it, mostly my reloads. My G30 has over 10K rouns of my reloads fired through it. I feed my G26, G17 and G17L reloads. My shooting partner in GSSF has well over 12K rounds of my reloads fired through his pistol.

Having said that, I will say that I would never use a commercial or gun show reload in any of my Glocks because I do not know the powder or charge contained therin.

Do I recommend reloads for everyone? No.

Do I take time to insure safe reloads? Yes, by:

1. Examining all brass for visual defects.
    2. Eyeballing each powder charge.
    3. Loading to moderate performance levels.
    4. Crimping with a Lee Factory crimp die.
    5. Checking each round with a Dillon gauge.
    6. Checking each primer for proper seating.
    7. Finally, barrel checking each round of match ammo.

5. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Each It And I

Danny,

In your opinion, what is a good resource for a beginner to handgun reloading? Though my reloading experience is limited to shotgun shells, I am somewhat of a perfectionist by nature, thus I feel that I would be adept at handgun reloading.

Regards,

CJ

6. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

I'm not Danny but, I just got into reloading and I can tell you what I found helpful. My Speer #13 reloading manual, reloading guides from the various powder manufacturers, friends that are experienced reloaders and the reloading section of Glock Talk. In most cases I got sincere, helpful replies to my questions posted on GT. I also searched the reloading section for various topics and found helpful information.

7. DannyR

The Sierra Manual is my favorite. There is a new edition due out any time now.

Vihtavuori is the cleanest burning, lowest flash powder choice available. You can download some nice information from www.vihtavuori.fi

I use new brass (Starline and Winchester) twice. Once for practice and once for competition.

8. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

Danny makes a good point. If you're satisfied with very light, target velocity reloads, go right ahead. However, if you wish to load ammunition that duplicates factory ballistics, you really should get an aftermarket barrel.

I have a BarSto barrel in my G22, and it handles factory duplication reloads perfectly. I load all of my ammo to factory specs. With the BarSto, I usually get from 10-12 reloads out of a new case. (That's assuming the case has never been fired in a Glock factory barrel. If it has, I discard it.)

9. Mr. Moon

Mr. Moon Remember

Danny,
    Thanks for the recipe.
    You running those through Glock factory barrels?
    Mr. Moon

10. DannyR

Mr. Moon,

That is the recipe I've used for three years in my G24C with factory barrel.

11. glockmeister23

glockmeister23

Why? I'm new to reloading, and am going to be firing with a glock factory barrel. I'm keeping my loads safe, and I'm just using the rounds for target practice. Is it possible/safe to reload brass a few times when using a stock barrel? -thanks

12. Bigjets

Bigjets New Shooter

Please be more clear. Why won't you use a case that has been fired in a glock for reloading? Does the polygonal barel mark the case in some way? I'm a newbe and am just learning about reloazding. I reload .45 ACP for my Kimber and .40 S&W for my G22C and G27. I am using 'once fired brass' from Wideners with Winchester Small Pistol primers and Bullseye powder (about 4.1 gr. with 185 gr. SWC):)
    Cheers,
    From Stratford, CT
    BIGJETS

13. noway

noway

"Does the polygonal barel mark the case in some way?"

The rifling should never come in contact with the case so this not an issue. The concern for some are the glock loose chambers and over stressing the brass.

I myself don't worry about once fire "glock or non-glock" brass for my practice loads since my charge is not to close to the max load and I have no signs of over-pressure.I 've found I bearly get 4 to 5 reload before I loose the case and can't re-harvest it. The key thing is to following DannyR suggestions listed earlier on.

----------------------------------------
    1. Examining all brass for visual defects.
    2. Eyeballing each powder charge.
    3. Loading to moderate performance levels.
    4. Crimping with a Lee Factory crimp die.
    5. Checking each round with a Dillon gauge.
    6. Checking each primer for proper seating.
    7. Finally, barrel checking each round of match ammo.

You use these 7th rules plus keep you're gun clean and free of obstructions, you will be okay.

14. jpshaw

jpshaw

To answer the question: Glock brls have more play in the chambers then the aftermarkets therefore cases stretch more during firing shortening the useful life.

.40 Club number 14

15. Jumper

Jumper

There is lots of good advice posted in this thread. I'll add a little to it:

I've read a couple reloading manuals and a very good book/manual is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. It touches all subjects such as reloading for accuracy, safety, powder selection, and many other subjects relevant to pistol reloading.

Reloading is great IMO because you shoot more and are thus more proficient and active in the sport. Plus, its a good excercise for a perfectionist like me.

I jumped right into reloading 40S&W and 10mmAuto on a progressive press. In hindsight, starting on a turrett press probably would have been easier and faster. A turrett press is faster than a single stage but you have far more control over the process than on a progressive press. Progressive presses can be finnicky.

Reloading 40S&W brass for a stock Glock barrell can be detrimental to the life of the brass. The Glock chamber being a little oversize for reliable feeding, allows the the brass to expand more upon firing. When you re-size that brass, you work the brass back into it's original, unfired dimension. Too much working and the brass becomes brittle and cases can rupture. I keep track of the number of times each case has been fired for all my brass.

Good luck

16. Bigjets

Bigjets New Shooter

Hey Jumper
    I have started reloading .40 S&W on a Lee LoadMaster turret press. I notice that the resizing die seems to squeeze the shell down below .400. When I put a .400 hardcast LSWC into the shell and crimp it the finished bullet has, sort of, an hourglass figure. Have you run into anything like that? If you did, what did you do to correct it?
    Thanks
    Bigjets

17. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I like the 165 to 180 grain flatpoints by Montana Gold under Power Pistol, Universal, Longshot, or a similarly slow pistol powder run to the max OAL.

18. peeto

peeto

What's the difference between the Lee Factory Die and say my Hornady New Dimension Die??? Is this something I have to have or just a personal preference over Dillon/Hornady, etc.??? Thanks

19. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

The question was why I won't reload cases fired in a Glock barrel.

Okay. I do not load light target type loads. All of my ammo is loaded to duplicate factory ballistics. The .40 is a high pressure cartridge. When a high pressure cartridge is fired in a loose chamber it expands, thereby weakening the brass. Reloading weakened brass to high factory pressure can cause case head separations.

If you, like DannyR, are loading mild target loads, well below factory ammo performance, the Glock barrel is just fine. OTOH, if you want factory performance, either shoot only factory ammo, or get an aftermarket barrel.

20. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Get the "ABCs of Reloading" and read it two times cover to cover.

Great pictures and you'll be ready to reload for 40SW.