Recoil w/ double barrel 12ga "coach gun"

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by -gunut-, Feb 8, 2010.

1. -gunut-

-gunut-

Ok, so for awhile now I have been thinking about getting a side by side shotgun. Quite a few times on here, along with at the gun shop, I have heard people comment on how stiff the recoil is.

This kinda got me wondering what makes the recoil so much more stout than something like an 870. The breach stays closed on both while firing.

I don't get it!

Is it just a myth that a double barrel has more felt recoil then other shotgun types?

---This question is not about pulling both triggers at once! :supergrin:

2. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

I've only shot one at a SASS open house event for n00bs. It did not feel like a mule kick to the sholder. As far as I knew, we were using regular 12ga ammo. After the first shot I had no problem keeping my eye on the target for the second.

3. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Most coach guns are lighter than an 18.5 inch pump, but not by much. Aside from the lighter weight, I wonder if the bore axis is higher. Other than those two factors I can't imagine what would make recoil any more significan't than a pump.

4. VA27

VA27

Depending on the gun, a Coach Gun will be slightly lighter than the equivalent pump. That combined with the generally greater stock drop on doubles will give the impression of greater recoil. The recoil is about the same, it just seems like more. Toughen up, it's nothing you can't handle.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

IF the recoil is more stout than say, an 18" pumpgun, put a Limbsaver pad on it, stick a fork in it, and call it done. (And take care of that recoil.)

6. a_tack

a_tack

it should recoil similar to a single shot 12ga, full choke... not too bad... not too great either

7. blueiron

blueiron

The cartridges recoil the same. Some people tend to exaggerate the effectiveness of the SxS shotgun on both ends.

As long as the weapon is stocked properly to you, it should recoil about like single shot/double barrel/pump action shotgun.

8. awpk03s

awpk03s

It's negligible. I had an 18" coach gun, and pump, and it's about the same. Just don't pull both triggers at once. :supergrin:

9. Smashy

Smashy

Just slap one of these on there and blast away...

[​IMG]

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1 All 12g shotguns will have a good deal of recoil, no matter what type. If it bothers you get a recoil pad.

In my experience double barrel and single shot break barrels have more recoil than pump actions.

11. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Friends dad bought one with the exposed hammers and we took it out to the ranch. This was back in 90 before we knew (or if they even existed) of reduced recoil buckshot. He touched off both barrels of 00 Buck. He screamed like a little girl.:rofl:
    We all took turns but only firing one barrel at a time. It was a good little light handling shotgun. My other best friend was eventually peer pressured into trying both barrels. Well it was loaded with two one ounce slugs. He had a very big bruise. They are definitely close range (15-20 yards).
    Have fun if you get one.

12. den308

den308 NOT A COOK

My dumb assed brother did both barrels at the same time from the hip. Broke one finger and dislocated the other. Dumb ***.

13. Openroadracer

Openroadracer

I've got a really old Parker with 28" or so barrels. Heavy gun which helped on the recoil. It doesn't get shot much anymore, but I did have both barrels fire at the same time. (And that's one of the reasons I don't shoot it. ) As bad as that was, it wasn't as bad as my Mossberg 500 with full power slugs.