close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil Spring

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by HEAVY, Nov 16, 2006.

1. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

why are recoil springs ang firing pin springs matched together?

iba-iba ba ang tigas ng firing pin springs?

what happens if you don't match them?

thanks

2. isuzu

isuzu

Heavy,

In the case of Wolff, they sell recoil springs with extra power firing pin springs. The logic is that both wear over time. The firing pin spring is one of the most neglected part in a 1911. Before Wolff packaged their recoil spring with a firing pin spring, people replaced just the recoil spring without bothering to replace the recoil spring.

This also has something to do with safety. A new firing pin spring could help prevent an accidental discharge when the gun is dropped or when the slide is slammed hard.

3. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Unless it's for the glock, the recoil and firing ping springs don't need to be matched. Magkasama lang sila sa package in the case of Wolff. The other spring manufacturers aren't that generous.

What you need to match, though, is the FP spring and FP. From experience, you'll get better strikes when using the Wolff FP spring to a XL FP like limcat.

As for the recoil spring, match it to your style of shooting.;)

4. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

i changed to a recoil spring thats a bit stiffer kasi nahihirapan i-push into battry yung first round from a fresh mag pag galing slide lock.

apart from that, is there any other benefit from a stiffer recoil spring?

mababawasan ba recoil?

thanks.

5. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

the heavier the recoil spring, the stronger the recoil impulse. it's personal preference and depends on your pistol's timing.

generally, a rule of thumb to follow is the lightest spring weight you can get away with consistent cycling, without the slide going out of battery and without slide and frame battering (metal-to-metal contact).

sa .45, try mo 14 and 16 lbs.

6. jimbullet

jimbullet

Rule of thumb is to replace these springs every 5000 rounds

7. jasonub

jasonub

i just replaced my ismi recoil spring at a round count of 30,000 plus

8. ahtsay

ahtsay

Don't think I've ever shot that much ammo in my life...not yet that is :supergrin:

9. revo

revo

Ehem..it's the other way around, sir.

The stronger the recoil impulse, the heavier the recoil spring you might have to use.

The factory is 16.5 lbs.

If you use a heavier spring thinking that you will soften recoil, it will, but there is a price to pay.

- The return to battery is faster and hence hits the gun more forcefully, hence accelerated wear on the gun.

- The mag spring can't keep up with the slide. Possible loss of timing. Ammo doesn't feed !!

If you want to tame recoil, you have to look at options that don't create other problems.

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

The stiffer the recoil spring, the more work your wrists need to do to get that gun back down from recoil. How stiff is stiff? Personal preference lang yan, very much dependent on your arms/hands strength and body type. Personally, I run a 12.5# on my 40 and 14# in the 45.

As for the gun not going into battery, baka kelangan lang iputok pa ng iputok. Kasi masikip pa. O kaya konting polishing sa chamber at breech face.

11. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

no its not, try mo. then tell us if you find a pistol sprung with a 14 lb spring harder to control than a pistol with a 16lb one.

12. pogi

pogi Nuon

Not much of a technical guy.
    Experiences:
    1. I got a Para P16.40 that had an orig 18lb. rec-spring. Wow, the boomer literally "bounced" way around my 70% anaconda-squeezing left hand and 30% vein-wracking-tight-right hand. Advices from top guns drove me to go 15lbs. down to 13lbs and FINALLY to 12lbs that really tamed the notorious "uplift". And that's w/o feeding problem.
    2. With the open I'm breaking in currently, the 11lbs rec-spring did not solve the feeding & return to battery position problems BUT WITH AN 8 pounder.

13. Allegra

Allegra

I was using a 10lb on my std dati w/ double buffs

out dated na ba yung pag chck where your sights return to getthe proper spring rate? Un dai pag ginagawa ko

14. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

do you advice buffers?

i used to put a buffer on my p12 (which i regretably sold, still kicking myself for that, but i digress...) contrary to expert advice. mawawala daw sa timing dahil iikli ang travel ng slide, might not strip the next round from the mag, but i never had a problem. and i thought it dampened recoil a bit. but that could be psychological, dahil may ikinabit, akala may improvement :) .

but on full size 1911's, would you advise putting in buffers?

15. isuzu

isuzu

having a heavier recoil spring will give you a longer lockup compared to a lighter spring. It also helps in reliable feeding. Using a heavier recoil spring would also mean using extra power mag springs.

In my case, I didn't have to change extra power mag springs for my (former) Norinco with 18.5 lbs. conventional recoil spring mated to a 19 lb Wolff reduced power hammer spring.

Never had a jam with the set up.

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

only if your pistol likes it. my P16-40, hindi hiyang sa buffs. sa .45cal single stack ko, i have a blue sps buff without problems.

buffs serve to dampen vibration more than anything else, which serves to soften the recoil "feel" more than actual recoil impluse (muzzle jump).

when using recoil buffers, you need to make sure that you're not short stroking the slide travel. you can have feeding problems and the slide might not lock back. you may need to trim the recoil spring's length.

the new aluma buffs (aluminum) and delrin buffs last longer and deform less than the ordinary rubber and plastic ones and deaden the recoil more.

17. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

san nakakabili ng aluma at delrin buffs, sir e.c.?

18. isuzu

isuzu

Wolff makes springs for Wilson, but when you compare the two, the Wilson springs are shorter by two-three coils to give an allowance for the shok-buffs.

I won't recommend using shok-buffs on carry guns, though. They can fall apart at the most critical time you are using your carry gun, and tie up your gun.

19. Allegra

Allegra

Kung pang carry wag!

My pistol was modified to accept 2 buffs
    Not for dampening recoil but vecause I was using 10lb spring

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

i agree with isuzu and fafa allegra. wag ka na maglagay ng buffs. if you are a high volume shooter, it might be advantageous to put in the buffers