Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new G19. I've put about 400 rounds through it. I measured the recoil spring and found it to be 13lbs! I thought stock spring was 16lbs? Any ideas?

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Because you are in California, we can assume you have a Gen3 G19.

The RSA rating for Glock G19/23/32/38 compacts should be 18-lbf when compressed by the slide as far back as the slide will go. How did you measure the compression, and was the slide at that point on the frame?

The only Glocks with a 16-lbf RSA rating are the G26/27/33/39 subcompacts.

Reactions: na5m

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because you are in California, we can assume you have a Gen3 G19.

The RSA rating for Glock G19/23/32/38 compacts should be 18-lbf when compressed by the slide as far back as the slide will go. How did you measure the compression, and was the slide at that point on the frame?

The only Glocks with a 16-lbf RSA rating are the G26/27/33/39 subcompacts.
Thanks for your helpful reply! Yes, Gen 3 model 19 (and yes, California). I thought spring rates were measured through only one inch of travel. I'll remeasure the spring force using the distance you described.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
If it looks the bottom one, it's an 18lb OEM spring. If it looks like the top one, it could be someone put in an after market spring, commonly done on competition guns. But it doesn't really matter as long as the gun cycles.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I thought spring rates were measured through only one inch of travel. I'll remeasure the spring force using the distance you described.
The RSA is not rated in units of force per unit distance of compression. It is rated only in units of force.

The spring constant k may be expressed as force per unit distance of compression, or lbf per inch (lbf/inch), but the parameter of interest is the total force (lbf) exerted by the spring at or near end of travel.

If you measured the force of the RSA as 13-lbf after 1 inch of compression, you have measured the RSA spring constant k, not the RSA rated spring force.

The force exerted by the RSA at full retraction is its rated spring force. That depends on both the spring constant and the distance of maximum spring compression or slide retraction.

I don't have any Glock compact models, but I'm pretty sure that the length of slide retraction is somewhere around 1.4-inches. Then for your RSA:

Spring Constant (measured by you) is 13-lbf/inch.
Spring Force (calculated by me) is 13-lbf/inch times 1.4-inches = 18.2-lbf

That agrees with the advertised Gen3 G19 RSA spring force of 18-lbf.

You could measure the force at full retraction to verify these results directly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The RSA is not rated in units of force per unit distance of compression. It is rated only in units of force.

The spring constant k may be expressed as force per unit distance of compression, or lbf per inch (lbf/inch), but the parameter of interest is the total force (lbf) exerted by the spring at or near end of travel.

If you measured the force of the RSA as 13-lbf after 1 inch of compression, you have measured the RSA spring constant k, not the RSA rated spring force.

The force exerted by the RSA at full retraction is its rated spring force. That depends on both the spring constant and the distance of maximum spring compression or slide retraction.

I don't have any Glock compact models, but I'm pretty sure that the length of slide retraction is somewhere around 1.4-inches. Then for your RSA:

You could measure the force at full retraction to verify these results directly.
Is RSA "Recoil Spring Assembly"?

·
Banned
661 Posts

WTF?

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Hooke's Law, F=kx. The units of the spring constant (k) are force per length, which is a relative measure of stiffness. Which is only of academic interest and might be useful to measure the recoil spring assembly when it no longer cycles the gun.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Now I am wondering if we took ten (or one hundred) new Glocks all the same model, and measured the springs in each how close to each other would they be. And if we took the same hundred guns after several thousand rounds through each, what would the measurements be and what variation.

Reactions: na5m

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I am wondering if we took ten (or one hundred) new Glocks all the same model, and measured the springs in each how close to each other would they be. And if we took the same hundred guns after several thousand rounds through each, what would the measurements be and what variation.
Let's do it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I measured the amount of compression that my recoil spring undergoes during a full slide rack on my Gen3 G19. I got approximately 1-7/8 inches. I then put the recoil spring back on the measuring jig I made. It took a little over 17lbs of weight to compress the recoil spring ~ 1-7/8 inches. So I guess I'm satisfied that stock Glock Gen3 G19 recoil springs are "18 pound springs". :winkie:

·
Registered
16,592 Posts
So I measured the amount of compression that my recoil spring undergoes during a full slide rack on my Gen3 G19. I got approximately 1-7/8 inches. I then put the recoil spring back on the measuring jig I made. It took a little over 17lbs of weight to compress the recoil spring ~ 1-7/8 inches. So I guess I'm satisfied that stock Glock Gen3 G19 recoil springs are "18 pound springs". :winkie:
You doubted it?

FWIW, the Glock pistols are a fairly simple system, and as long as the gun is functioning properly and specified parts are being replaced at the correct interval (the Gen 1/2/3 RSA is around 3,00 rounds) then the recoil spring is operating properly;

Also, there is a simple (non-firing) function check for the RSA that allows you to make a quick determination as to whether the RSA is OK......

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
na5M, is this your first Glock ever? I've been carrying and running Glocks in competition since 1992 and never, ever though about the recoil spring rate. As long as they run, it's the only thing that matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First of all, thanks to you all for your helpful replies. Now, I have replaced the stock recoil spring assembly with an after market 22 pound spring and I also swapped the factory extractor for an expensive (50USD) Apex Tactical Failure Resistant extractor. Still not getting 100% satisfaction with my casing extractions, although they are better with the upgrades that I've made. So I've made the decision to simply accept an occasional casing to the body in trade for the kick-assness of the G19's killing performance........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.