close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil spring G29 - is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by macatex, Mar 11, 2010.

1. macatex

macatex

I had a discussion with my local Glock armorer and he said I did not have a problem, but I just can't help thinking some thing with my G29 is out of whack. When field stripping the gun the following is the routine I have to use about 50% of the time:
    1. remove mag and check that the gun is unloaded
    2. pull the trigger
    3. pull back on the slide and pull down on the slide release
    4. as the slide moves forward, the trigger is reset
    5. pull the trigger a second time and remove the slide

When this occurs, what has happened is that the recoil spring has moved off the circular part of the barrel that it is supposed to rest on. If looking at the removed slide (upside down) the recoil spring is now resting on the flat part of the slide just above the circular part it should be on. When removing the slide, because the spring it out of postion, the spring catches on something and resets the trigger.

The only mod on this pistol is an 8 lb trigger bar.

Is the trigger reset issue normal? Will it be a problem if I just leave it alone or should I find another gun smith to look at it? Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Normal.
    Glocks have two positions for the rod to sit.
    (not sure on 4th Gen.)
    :supergrin:

3. telecster

telecster

Normal.. I have a G20 and I replaced the guide rod and spring. Now when I clean my gun the guide rod and spring fall out, not just slip to the next notch.. All is fine.

4. hardcorp

hardcorp

Oh No ! You better send it to me ASAP for repair!!!!

Just Kidding... it is the way it is designed....

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The half-moon notch is the reassembly position, not the operating position.

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

How far back are you pulling the slide? You only need to move it about 1/8 inch. There is nothing for the recoil spring to hit that could cause a trigger reset.

As for the spring assembly not staying in the notch on the barrel lug, once the gun is assembled, the rear of the assembly is no longer touching the barrel lug at all -- it rests against the frame until the gun is disassembled again. At that point a portion of the lug will recapture the assembly as the lug clears the depressed slide lock, and it matters not where the thing is sitting at that point. It is only important for the assembly to rest in the crescent shaped notch during reassembly so that it is properly aligned to hit its resting spot against the frame just in front of the slide lock.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  7. voyager4520

voyager4520

You might be pulling the slide back too far as you disassemble. It only needs to go back far enough to take tension off of the slide lock.

The base of the guide rod normally comes out of the notch slightly. It only needs to be fully in that crescent notch when you're re-assembling the pistol.

8. AustinTx

AustinTx

macatex
    There's your answer and it was free.

9. macatex

macatex

To answer the question about pulling the slide back to far: nope. I pull it back just enough, I believe "a hair" is the technical term, so that I can move the slide release. The trigger doesn't reset until the slide has moved forward 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

I appreciate all your answers and will let this sleeping dog lie. Thanks!

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

Well in that case to answer your question, no it's not normal. The trigger resets once the slide moves forward to about where it normally rests? Or once it moves 1/8 to 1/4 inch forward past the lockup position(that far forward off of the frame)?

Have you ever disassembled it past field strip and are you using any aftermarket parts?

11. macatex

macatex

As noted in my original post, the only mod is the Glock 8lb trigger bar that was installed by the dealer. As for exactly when the trigger resets, well, it can vary depending on how far down the barrel the spring has moved. Usually it resets around the time it is just aproaching or going past the normal postion. As stated earlier, it only does the trigger reset thing about 50% of the time.

If you feel that it is abnormal, then could you please post some details as to why? You may have the answer to a problem that others have completely overlooked!

12. bentbiker

bentbiker

When you say trigger reset, do you mean that it is re-cocked and needs to be fired, or just that you have to hold the trigger rearward (as with a NY trigger spring) to remove the slide?

As for the 8# trigger bar, there is no such thing. You must be referring to either an 8# connector, or an 8# NY trigger spring. If you have a NY trigger spring, what you are seeing is perfectly normal. See
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163390 for a visual.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  13. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

There you have it, the recoil spring thing is quite normal, and when a NY1 trigger spring is installed one often has to hold the trigger back to remove the slide....again quite normal.

One correction to you field strip procedure. #2 should read, 'Point the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger'. I'm sure you do that, but it doesn't go without saying......it should always be there!

Don't worry....go shoot!