close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil Spring Change

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Head Space, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Head Space

Head Space

I hope this post is in the right place. I am new to Glock with a 20c. I read some owners are changing the spring weight on the recoil rod. Why is this done? Also why change the rod to steel? Do shooters install recoil buffers? I do like my new G and would like it to "walk the walk". Thanks

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

First of all, do not ever use a recoil buffer in a Glock. They wear quickly and can jam the pistol.

Now, folks change recoil rods and springs just because they can. In most instances, it is a waste of money. Folks buy a 10mm pistol because of the power, but cannot handle the recoil and attempt to make it feel like a .22LR Ruger.

The only purpose of a recoil rod in a Glock is to align the recoil spring and make field strips/reassembly easier. It has no effect on accuracy and an aftermarket rod may have an adverse effect on reliability. Many folks think the Glock engineers are idiots, and those folks are wrong.

The factory spring is perfect for all factory ammo. Some competitors like a lighter spring to make the slide cycle faster.

As far as reliability and useful life, I replaced the original recoil spring assembly on my 1996 G19 9mm Glock at 74,000 rounds.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

A substantial number of people here claim better results with an aftermarket spring and steel rod. But more people who swap out the stock unit with an aftermarket version end with reliabliity issues than those that swap a stock recoil spring assembly with a new stock recoil spring assembly when the original one weakens. I like reliability.

4. Head Space

Head Space

Thanks for the response. I bought the c model to minimize recoil but I do reload and enjoy a pistol that says "here I am".
    I usually shoot a heavier bullet and am working with the HXTP at 200 g. I have become interested in the Underxxxx ammo in 135 grain also, they claim it approaches 1700 fps. Would I stay with stock springs with these loads. I like leaving things alone as long as they work. Thanks again. Oh, if I want 22 caliber recoil I will pick up a 22.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

You probably did not perform the (almost) mandatory detail strip with the hammer and punch after no more than exactly the first 1467 rounds either...:whistling:

6. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

First off, WELCOME!

Congrats on the G20, GREAT gun!

Personally, I prefer a metal rod to the plastic. Call it what you want, deep down many people still look at "plastic" as inferior. Metal or steel lasts longer and is there for better... Those of us old enough to see plastic become part of our daily lives also experienced its use and failure. It was common to complain about "plastic". It is a hard habit to overcome. Of coarse "plastics" have come and overcome huge obstetricals and nearly everything we use/own/see is made of at least part plastic...

I have not had problems with the stock plastic rod. BUT I do find a non "captured spring" annoying. I like a captured recoil spring, you cannot have that on a stock plastic rod.

As for spring weights, sure stock is fine for the majority of available loadings. But load very light or in the case of the 10MM (KNOWN NOT to be loaded to its full potential) heavy (er) loadings. You will find lighter weight springs and heavier weight springs are helpful with reliability. Heavier springs will slow the slide wheil lighter springs will allow for the lower recoil energy when loading lite/target type loads.

Personally I use a 22# spring in my G20 when shooting my 200G hot loads. My G20 is a hunting gun.

Springs are cheap, buy a few weights and try different ones. Decide for yourself.

Buffers and the "need" for them is like Ford vs Chevy. I use them and have fired many many rounds with out a single problem.

Good luck,
    CW

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. alexhartang

alexhartang

I agree!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

So stick with the stock spring! :)

9. Head Space

Head Space

I am looking for the "detail strip" procedure but since I have fired less than 500 rounds I still have time to look. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Happy Glocking

10. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

This is one of the best YouTube videos that demonstrates the detail strip procedure:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY"]Glock Detail Strip And Reassembly (IN HD)[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  11. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40

I put in a LWD S/S recoil assembly, but stayed with the stock spring weight of #17, I don't think I should have any feeding , or ejection issues, I could get a 20 or 22lb spring just in case..

12. dajcarroll

dajcarroll