close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

recoil spring assembly question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by samherbert, Jun 14, 2012.

1. samherbert

samherbert

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first glock (g30) and had a question about the recoil spring assembly. I've noticed that every time I break down this pistol, the recoil spring assembly doesn't seem to be fully seated. There are two grooves on the barrel. When I assemble the pistol I make sure I properly seat the rod to the bottom groove up next to the barrel. When I break down the pistol I noticed that the rod has popped up into the higher groove on the barrel. Because of this, I usually have to press down on the spring assembly to remove the slide because it gets hung when trying to remove the slide.
    Gun seems to function fine and has never failed. Is this something to worry about or is this normal?

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm confused.

Normally, the RSA settles downward, coming to rest against the metal frame insert, where it's supposed to. Are you saying that somehow your RSA actually moves upward after a few cycles?

3. samherbert

samherbert

Evidently yes. Whenever I disassemble the rsa has popped out of the moon shaped groove closest to the barrel and is resting in another groove above where I thought it would rest.
    Hopefully this makes sense. Like I said, gun shoots fine I've never had any issues with fte or ftf.

4. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hello samherbert, welcome to Glock Talk.

Regarding the guide rod position, the half-moon slot is used only to position the guide rod properly for reassembly of the slide on the receiver. Once assembled, the rear end of the guide rod drops down out of the half-moon slot into a channel on the receiver and doesn't touch the barrel at all during normal operation.

When the slide is removed, the barrel lug again catches the rear end of the guide rod and pulls it out of the receiver channel, but typically the guide rod does not fully seat in the half-moon slot as it comes out. There is nothing to be concerned about. What you have observed upon removing the slide is completely normal.

The excellent photographs below, taken by GT member Phantom465, show the guide rod in the proper position for reassembling the slide on the receiver and the normal position of the guide rod after the slide is removed:

Proper Position of Guide Rod for Reassembly of Slide on Receiver:
    [​IMG]

Normal Position of Guide Rod After Slide is Removed:
    [​IMG]

5. samherbert

samherbert

thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what's happening. I had a feeling it was normal but wanted to make sure.
    Once again thanks for the reply.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Just to be clear. In those pictures, the RSA moved DOWNWARDS, not up.

7. samherbert

samherbert

Yeah I failed at properly describing the issue. This is my first glock so I was just clarifying the non-issue. Love this pistol by the way. It's a blast to shoot.

note: after asking the question I'm finding other threads where people asked the exact same question. In the future I'll do a better job of searching existing threads before asking a dumb question :)

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Mine does the same thing, as said it is normal. Enjoy your G30.

9. Adamz04

Adamz04

gRT45, thanks for the great post. I noticed that on my 32 and was wondering the same thing.