Recoil sping came out

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FireForged, Oct 21, 2013.

1. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Ok, I am not new to glocks but I am new to owning a gen4. I was returning from the range and as usual, cleaned my gun. When putting the recoil spring back in, mounting the slide on the frame and racking the slide... the recoil spring came out the front. I was like What the??? I took it back apart (removed the spring) and looked at the area where the recoil spring seats.. I tried to wiggle the spring through myself and it will not but how in the heck did it come out on its own? I am baffled and honestly and a little concerned that this may occur in a real crisis. I have stopped carrying it for now until I get a idea on what is going on.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Prob wasn't seated correctly is all.. Nothing to worry bout it will still go bang with out a recoil spring

3. tager

tager

Evening FireForged

Was the RSA correctly seated in the barrel cut out at reassembly?

If it wasn't seated all the way in the cut out the RSA rear can catch on something (maybe the serial number area in the frame) then the spring will compress & protrude out the front as the slide is put on.

4. FireForged

Its possible that it was not seated perfectly but I have never seen a glock spring ever come out the end of a gun. I didn't even know that it was possible. I wish I had taken a pic of it but I was so mortified, I quickly corrected it.

5. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

How old is your gen4 Glock? I ask because the older recoil spring assemblies don't have the metal cup on the front end of the spring which sits nicely against the slide, which makes it impossible to slip through the muzzle/slide. If you have the older spring (shown on the right) then you can call Glock and they will send you the upgraded spring for free.

[​IMG]

6. GaryC

GaryC

I agree, this happened to me on an early Gen4 G17

7. FireForged

My Glock has a 4-13 build date and has the new spring.

8. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

It happened on my gen 4. The RSA wasn't seated properly; no problems since.

9. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

Wasn't correctly seated I am sure. Has happened to me never while firing. You are all set.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

I am baffled by this. I wonder how the solid metal cup of the new RSA's, which is way bigger in diameter than the seat/ hole in the slide could possibly fit and go through that hole in the slide, without damaging/bending that cup. If this really happened, then either the hole in the slide is drilled too big/out-of-spec, or your RSA is out of spec and/or broken.

The upgraded spring can and should not do this, even if it was not seated correctly, because it is dimensionally impossible do to, IF everything is in good condition and in spec, and with normal forces the gun and RSA encounters in use. If it happened once, it can and probably will happen again. I'd let that gun check out by an Glock armorer or something, because that's not normal. I would understand it if this would have happened with the older gen4 spring, but not with the redesigned one.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  11. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

I may have misread the OP's statement. On my gen 4 only the guide rod came through, not the outer spring. I can duplicate this by removing the slide and pushing the back of the RSA. The guide rod protrudes out the front of the slide but it doesn't while racking the slide. I measured the tip of the guide rod at 0.437" and the hole in the slide at 0.449". I don't know how the outer spring itself protruded through the hole as it seems too large but I guess anything can happen.
    EDIT: The inner spring, of the dual spring, can protrude through the front of the slide but not the outer spring. OP, is the inner, smaller spring the one you saw? If so, the solution is as others have suggested; the RSA is not seated properly and your problem is solved.

12. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

The guide rod has to protrude through the slide because the guide rod can't be compressed. But the spring better stays inside, lol.

13. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

On your gen 4 take the slide off and push the rear of the RSA. You will see the inner spring come out the front of the slide. The inner spring appears to have a smaller OD than the tip of the guide rod. This is what happens when the RSA isn't seated correctly.

14. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Yes, that's how it's supposed to be. The bigger outer spring with the metal cup in front of it has to remain inside of the slide/behind the hole in the slide. Not sure if the OP's RSA came out completely. Or if he is taking about the inner smaller spring and the metal liner coming out of the slide, which would be normal. Very few of the older "cupless" gen4 recoil assemblies completely + the outer spring protruded through the hole in the slide, which made the gun unusable until field stripped to fiddle/pull the spring out of the slide.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Curious to see what the OP will say.

16. ca survivor

ca survivor

me too.........

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

What next with G4 Glocks?

18. FireForged

I will try to describe it better and curse myself for not taking a pic. I reassembled the slide and when putting the slide on the frame, it went on normally and without any unusual tension... just as the slide "clicked" the inner coil and liner sprung out the front... like "BOING". I stood there looking at it like what the? The first thing I tried to do was push the spring back in but then thought I might damage it. At first I couldn't get the slide off but then realized that I had reset the trigger. I finally got the slide off and as I began to remove it, the spring simply relaxed. I sat there wondering what just happened and could not figure out what could have caused this and couldn't duplicate it. The pistol now functions fine and I can not detect any problems but I will take it to the range again this weekend to make sure. I have gone back to carrying my Sig P239 until I get this sorted out. I don't understand what happened or if it will happen again but Im still a glock fan. Just maybe not the G4 so much. Don't know yet but I keep you guys updated.

19. F-111 John

F-111 John

This also happens to my Gen 3 G26 (which of course has a dual recoil spring assembly like all Gen 4s) occasionally when I reassemble after cleaning. I just take the slide off, make sure the RSA is properly seated in the half moon cutout on the barrel lug, and reassemble the slide to the frame again.

No biggie.

20. davidatcs

davidatcs

Interesting! This exact thing (including protruding spring) happened to me yesterday.
    Brand new Gen 3 G26. I kinda thought it was due to RSA seating. I realized I wasn't placing it all the way down. I am glad I found this thread.
    Thanks for all the input.