Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Infidel :)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General hypothetical question -

Take two bolt action rifles, say two Rem 700s, one in .308, on in .30-06, ALL other things considered between the two being the same (stock type, barrel length, etc. ) HOW much recoil difference are we talking between the two?

Given that recoil is a relative thing, but are we talking like between a .38 and .357 or what?

How about how would you compare them, say between a .223 AR, 7.62x39 AK, and a 12ga pump, like an 870 w/ 2 3/4" 00 buck shells?

Thanks -

Premium Member

Take two bolt action rifles, say two Rem 700s, one in .308, on in .30-06, ALL other things considered between the two being the same (stock type, barrel length, etc. ) HOW much recoil difference are we talking between the two?

Given that recoil is a relative thing, but are we talking like between a .38 and .357 or what?

How about how would you compare them, say between a .223 AR, 7.62x39 AK, and a 12ga pump, like an 870 w/ 2 3/4" 00 buck shells?

Thanks -
FWIW - Having been shooting since around six years old - the 16 guage being the one with the most recoil I used then, I admit to being fairly recoil insensitive - but - I don't feel any noticable difference at all between .308 and 30-06 rifle recoil and would put them close to the 16 guage shotgun. I shoot one or the other regularly averaging at least once a month for each (I shoot at the range every week weather permitting)

:supergrin:

Registered

Thanks -
I don't think you could tell the difference. I don't know about the rest.

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if we were looking at say a 700 in .308 w/ a 20" barrel vs a 700 in .30-06 w/ a 22" barrel, RECOIL should not be an issue to be overly concerned with?

Registered
I don't think so. The 308 was developed for the army to replace the 30-06, so they are pretty much ballistic twins. With more modern powders the cartridge was shorter than the 30-06, slightly lighter and same power level.

Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't think so. The 308 was developed for the army to replace the 30-06, so they are pretty much ballistic twins. With more modern powders the cartridge was shorter than the 30-06, slightly lighter and same power level.
So it's not like a .223 in an AR that you can shoot all day long and not have it bother you, where as w/ a 12 ga w/ 00 shells it's going to start beating you up after shooting for a while?

In other words, there is not a massive amount of "thump" between the two of them? No reason to shy away from the .30-06 b/c it's a 22", vs going w/ the .308 at 20" instead ONLY b/c of recoil? right?

As above. I cannot tell the difference in recoil between a .308 and an '06 in similar-weighted platforms. (Read: All those who get a .308 because it has "less kick" than an '06 might be imagining things.) If you're healthy and average, neither should bother you, though I might suggest a bolt action in either caliber is not something I'd want to burn through 100+ rounds in an afternoon with.

Registered
If you are recoil sensitive, take a look at the Savage with a factory muzzle brake. I have a VERY bad shoulder problem and shoot this in .308, at least enough to still enjoy deer hunting. I don't have scientific data but would guess the perceived recoil reduction to be about 40-50 percent.:wavey:

ARGH!
As noted, with similar loads, in identical rifles, the actual energy will be the same. Actual "felt" recoil is slightly different, as the sharper the angle on the cartridge shoulder the sharper the initial recoil.

It should be noted that the larger case of the 30-06 gives it a slight edge when reloading.

There's no reason someone in good health couldn't fire several hundred rounds of either with minimal ill effect in the course of a day. The recoil is not noticably different than that of a 12 ga shotgun.

NRA Life Member

Well, since the two can fire the same bullet at the same velocity, if they are loaded that way there would be NO difference. I don't actually buy the "sharper shoulder" claim as having any scientific validity.

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As above. I cannot tell the difference in recoil between a .308 and an '06 in similar-weighted platforms. (Read: All those who get a .308 because it has "less kick" than an '06 might be imagining things.) If you're healthy and average, neither should bother you, though I might suggest a bolt action in either caliber is not something I'd want to burn through 100+ rounds in an afternoon with.
Ok, that is what I was after b/c that was the only reason I was looking at the .308 in place of the .30-06 (less kick).

I am big boy (a little under 6'-0" and just under 300 lbs) and I am planing on doing most of this shooting either prone or from a rest one way or another on a bag or a tripod, so I know that will help too.

I don't plan on blasting through as much ammo w/ a bolt gun as much as I do w/ a semi auto, just like I would not w/ a 12 ga either. I guess just my big thing is I want to be able to enjoy shooting this thing w/o having it beat me to death either like a 12 ga would after about 50 rounds or so.

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As noted, with similar loads, in identical rifles, the actual energy will be the same. Actual "felt" recoil is slightly different, as the sharper the angle on the cartridge shoulder the sharper the initial recoil.

It should be noted that the larger case of the 30-06 gives it a slight edge when reloading.

There's no reason someone in good health couldn't fire several hundred rounds of either with minimal ill effect in the course of a day. The recoil is not noticably different than that of a 12 ga shotgun.

So you're saying the recoil of the .30-06 in such gun as listed IS closer to that of a say a 18" 12ga pump like a Rem 870 w/ 2 3/4" 00 shells?

I'm confused now ~ sorry.

Registered
So you're saying the recoil of the .30-06 in such gun as listed IS closer to that of a say a 18" 12ga pump like a Rem 870 w/ 2 3/4" 00 shells?

I'm confused now ~ sorry.
The recoil with the 308 and 30-06 is virtually identical. 20 rounds would cause my shoulder to be black and blue the next day (Springfield '03 with steel butt-plate). I wouldn't enjoy shooting either one all day.

The recoil will be closer to the 12ga shotgun than a 22rf rifle.

If you want to shoot a lot without recoil, go with .223 or up to 22-250 maybe.

Registered
WHERE did you get the information that links perceive recoil to cartridge shoulder angle? NONE of the various books on internal and external ballistics I have read have EVER shown a correlation of this nature.

BTW, "perceived" recoil is FAR more influenced by stock shape/drop/cast than is the cartridge itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.