Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchaser a gen4 21.First time shooting my reloads [200 gr powder coated swc with 5.7 gr of 231]the gun will fail to eject the spent ctg all the time.I have to do it manually.When shooting factory loads and my reloads that are borderline hot it ejects all the time.Would I be correct in thinking that the dual recoil spring is too stiff.Can I put a gen 3 single recoil spring in it or do I have another problem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My first time out I wanted to throw the Glock away. Glad I didn't. First try sitting in front of the computer and while watching cycle the slide 500 time. No, not all at once, but at least 500 times. I did it with 50 quick cycles and then rest. Then go shooting again and see if it makes a difference. If your thinking about springs, take a look at http://www.gunsprings.com.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Not enough info. But if your loads are too soft, it may not properly cycle a tightly sprung weapon like the glock. If this is just a range toy or comp gun, by all means buy a SS guide rod and a flat wire spring, with a gen4 slide adapter, and run as light of a spring as you want.

If it's a gun you are going to depend your life on, don't run a lighter recoil assembly, run better ammo.

You could always run a lighter spring setup to practice with your soft reloads, and put the factory RSA or heavier factory weight spring back in for your carry ammo.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
My personal similar experience. I had a go to 9mm handload that functioned every 9 I had no problem including a well used 19. Got a new 26 and had to run my load up to .2 grains below max to run. 6 months later and a fair amount of shooting and my baseline softie load worked fine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't have my reloading manuals in front of me but especially with a new gun I believe the powder charge is too low.

I know that I use 6.4 grains of W231 with a 200 grain hard cast bullet and this is a factory duplication load. I also believe the difference between powder coated and hardcast bullets is inconsequential.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Multi-spring Glocks are sprung heavy. If you want to run target style loads a single guide rod with lighter spring will work better.

W231, being a ball powder will perform best at higher pressures (closer to max).

Bullseye, WST and Clays, to name a few will work better for you lighter target needs in 45 Auto.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good advice,just reloaded 25 rds of 6.1 231 with my 200 gr powder coated heads and had no problem.I guess with time it will loosen up a little meanwhile i'll just use my lite loaded ammo in my 1911.Thanks all.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
And remember it's your grip and mount that allow the discharge energy to be transferred to the gun's action. This is especially important with a light plastic frame.

65% of a lot of power isn't very much power.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not enough info. But if your loads are too soft, it may not properly cycle a tightly spring weapon like the glock. If this is just a range toy or comp gun, by all means buy a SS guide rod and a flat wire spring, with a gen4 slide adapter, and run as light of a spring as you want.

If it's a gun you are going to depend your life on, don't run a lighter recoil assembly, run better ammo.

You could always run a lighter spring setup to practice with your soft reloads, and put the factory RSA or heavier factory weight spring back in for your carry ammo.
what is a slide adapter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.