close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil of G27 compared to a G23?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by abq87120, Feb 27, 2010.

1. abq87120

abq87120

Is there much more perceived recoil from a G27 than from a G23?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan in ABQ

2. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

is this a trick question?

:dunno:

3. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

Well first recoil is really one of those person to person things. I have both and have no issues with it. Are they diff yes is it do able very much so

4. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I've noticed that my G27 has a little more perceived recoil than my G22 or G23, but I attribute that to the grip size though. I bought some Pearce extension grips to give me a full size grip, but have yet to try them out.

I know that when shooting double and triple taps it has a tendency to want to 'walk' in my hand, especially when shooting full house SD loads (in this case RA40TA 165 gr Rangers) but when I shoot something that has been loaded down, such as my 180 gr XTP loads, its not as bad. I'm thinking that the grip extensions will help, but will not know for sure until I get out to the range tomorrow...

BG :patriot:

5. 1canvas

1canvas

once you get used to the different grip there is not alot of difference in felt recoil. i shoot my 27 with and without the extension and found little difference. you don't want much preasure on the extension or with that grip it will cause the gun to rock more. with the pressure on the middle and ring finger the gun stays pretty stable.

6. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

I found it very noticable.

7. bigdogmurph

bigdogmurph Lifetime Member

:wow: that is what it felt like first time i shot my G27. when i saw where the first two shots hit :wow: same response. at @ 10yrds hit x ring at 12 oclock,second shot x ring at 11 oclock. total for 9 round round clip after moving target out to @ 20 yrds was 8 inch group. mind you it is a bit of a handful but i like it. also need to point out i had surgery on right shoulder to repair rotator cuff in oct. of 09. and surgery on left shoulder for calcium build up in dec. of 09. a little pain after that day but two days later my son and me put 100 rnds down range and felt great later. this is my first glock and very pleased with it.:embarassed: i am 6' 3" 230lbs with bigger than average hands.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

For me, I don't like the 27, but really like the 23. For the baby Glocks, I prefer the 26.

IGF

9. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

this isn't scientific by any means, but I've found that the recoil of a g27 vs. a g23 is dependant on what I do w/my pinky finger. For my G27, I use the stock mags/floor plates & do not let my pinky come in contact w/the grip. On a g23, I can get my pinky on it due to the longer length of the grip/frame, but I will feel more recoil this way.

Something else to consider though, is the shape of the grip/frame. The 'hump' on the back strap is slightly different when comparing a subcompact w/a compact. This could affect your grip, which could also affect felt recoil.

10. abq87120

abq87120

Thanks all for the replies. I am still debating which one to buy. I currently carry a G26 with finger extension at 2:00 and it fits well sitting. The extended handle makes the grip about the same size as the G23. My concern is really about the kick of the G27 being too much for me to get an accurate second shot. I have to slow down a lot from the 2nd shot on when when putting +p through my 9.

I guess I'm going to have to go out with my shooting instructor and try his guns first-hand to really get a feel for these guns.

Thanks again for the input,
    Dan in ABQ

11. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

That sounds like a good plan. I went back & forth about which to buy: g26 vs. g27? And, there really are good pros & cons for each one. Finally, I just went out & shot a
    g27 in the same format that I'd carry it in & that was all it took. Trigger time always helps.

12. glock27ss

glock27ss

I have a G27 and I just reciently got a G23C... And this gun is awesome... almost no recoil at all... Look into the "C" models, they are great.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's a lot of debate on using the "C" models for CCW. Some of it seems like a possible issue, some of it seems borderline ridiculous...

Like most things, the truth is probably in the middle.. In the end, all that matters is you like it.

IGF

14. glock27ss

glock27ss

What debate is there in using a "C" model for CCW? As of now i do not CC anything as my class is scheduled for next tuesday... but I don't see why I would have any trouble concealing a "C" model Glock....

Please elaborate.... Thanks

15. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

27 has considerable more felt recoil over 23. I shot a 23 for about a year and then bought my 27 and it blew my mind but it isn't unmanagible or a deal breaker. The 27 does what I bought it to do, which is fit in small places and go bang when I pull the trigger.

16. mteagle1

mteagle1

The compensated models spit a lot of gas which is a problem shooting in a retention position. Also there is the "V" of the gas which disrupts followup shots and blacks out the white dot in the front sight. Sub compacts (which are my choice for CCW) do not come compensated. Own a G21C, G30 1st CC, G26 2nd CC and G27 current CC. XD45 Compact is current truck gun.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010