Recoil and ballistics of a Glock 17/19 compared to a .38

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alfred10, Feb 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. alfred10

alfred10

How much more or less does a Glock 17 and 19 recoil than a .38 special out of a S&W model 60 3 inch barrel non +p. How do the ballistics compare?

2. Carnage

Carnage

I dunno the ballistics but believe me felt recoil is totally different.
    I don't like wheel guns, but one day at the country, my dad was with his old Snubby (S&W 36) I took it to give it a try.
    Got 2 box of .38 SPL and fire till both box where done.
    Then I took my G17 and start to fire. Man WHAT A CHANGE!
    I got used to the Snubby recoil. and when I took the G17 it felt like a .22lr, I felt how it cycled and immediately understood why people prefer semi-auto to revolvers. I really enjoy the felt of that change.
    You never get the difference in felt recoil until you make fast switch in caliber after firing quite a few round of an specific caliber

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010

3. Melissa5

Melissa5

Hmm, I think my revolvers have less recoil than my G19. Feels like it to me. :dunno:

4. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Revolvers have more felt recoil to me. Even a Glock 21 or HK 45 has less felt recoil than my model 10 'pencil barrel' .38 revolver.
    Here's a good site for ballistics;
    ballisticsbytheinch

5. frankmako

frankmako

Revolvers have more felt recoil.

6. MistoGators

MistoGators 0331 - Guns Up

My G19 has a lot less recoil than the .38 Smith & Wesson revolver I had last year (mostly shoot 124gr reloads at the range).
    Then again, it was one of those snub-nosed airweights... :/

7. 05FLHT

05FLHT

This is an apples to oranges comparison. A heavy revolver shooting .38's is going recoil lighter than a G17/19. The results are going to be opposite if you are using an ultra light weight revolver, and say full house .357's.

I enjoy both, plinking with a G19 and putting a two foot fireball out of the end of a 2 1/4 snub nose.

8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

In theory, yes. In practice most people will disagree. The locked breach semi auto pistol has the advantage of spreading the recoil over a greater period of time. Also the wide round grip shape, especially on Glocks and HK's, seems to distribute recoil much better than revolver grips.

9. stmry

stmry

My experience with both calibers and platforms are they are just about equal in recoil. excluding the super lightweight j frames which are a little snappy with P+ ammo.

10. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

I can shoot my G17 all day with a smile on my face. I grimace when I have to shoot the Model 38 or 642 to make sure they work. And that's just .38 SD ammo, not +P. On the other hand, my trusty 4" S&W Model 66 also puts an all day smile on my face.

11. diode

diode

I think it is a matter of physics, the polymer used in Glocks absorbs felt recoil better than aluminum or steel framed weapons. All things being equal, recoil is recoil, everything revolves around Newton's law of physics: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". This is why I like both platforms..If I want punishment I will use the S&W model 38 Airweight with +p, If I want to throw 100 round of .45 downrange I grab the G30. Each platform has its strengths and weakness. (And I like the choices we have now-a-days!)

jb

12. RON in PA

RON in PA

A medium frame 38 special revolver like a Smith and Wesson model 10 is as comfortable to shoot as a Glock 17 or 19 if well fitting rubber grips are used. Use the small wooden service grips, you'll get whacked in the web of your thumb.