close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recipes For Grilling, Broiling, Baking or Steaming Fish?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RayB, Feb 19, 2010.

1. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I need some help... :headscratch:

Please feel free to share any good and simple, to complicated and outstanding recipes and techniques for preparing all manner of fish--except Lutefisk! :upeyes:

Thanks! :wavey:

--Ray

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

My favorite method for fish is pretty simple.

I take a nice filet, like snapper, tilapia, redfish, trout and place it on the dull side of a piece of tin foil large enough to fold over the fish and make a pouch.

I put, in order:
    S&P
    1/2 Tbls butter cut into thin pats and placed over the length of the fish
    1/2 Lemon, sliced thin and placed over the length of the fish
    1 Sprig Fresh Dill

Fold the foil into a pouch and seal it up. Stick it in a 350 oven until done (about 8 minutes at my house but your oven may cook slower or faster than mine).

Serve with a nice bitter green like asparagus and a nice mushroom/rice pilaf

Resturaunt quality cooking on the cheap and easy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

3. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

A lot will depend on the type of fish you are cooking. Salmon is a very strong tasting fish that will hold up to a variety of flavors. Shark and swordfish are closer to grilling steaks. Most of your average flaky whitefish are mild flavor so you have to be careful about overpowering them.

4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

When I grill fish, I like to keep the meat and fire separate. Fire up the grill, and have the wood/coals on one side, and I place a sheet of foil on the other. After you have seasoned your fish, place the fillet's on the foil. Closed the lid of your pit. The fish is done when the meat gets nice and flaky.

:eat:

6. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Tagged because I am a foody/fish/cooking nerd.

7. hkg3

hkg3 Beer Geek

I highly recommend the book, "Fish Without a Doubt: The Cook's Essential Companion" by Rcik Moonen. www.amazon.com

8. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

1. Simple: cedar planking. Soak plank in water. Prep fish by coating with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place fish skin side down on plank. Place plank on grill. Cook fish until done without turning.

2. Less simple: Pouching. Make pouch out of aluminum foil large enough for each filet/fish. Take one leek and slice it in circles about 0.25" to 0.5" in thickness and rinse throughly. Place circles on bottom of foil pouch, covering bottom. Place rinsed filets on top of leek slices. Sprinkle top of filets with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place thin rounds of lemon/lime on top of filets, covering them. Pour a small amount of white wine into pouch, enough to cover bottom of pouch. Seal pouches and place on grill or in oven. Grill/cook for about 5 - 10 mins, depending on size/thickness of filets. Open and enjoy. It is ok to open pouches to check for doneness of fish.

3. Simple. For thin filets like tilapia, catfish, etc: get 1 box of Shake and Bake Parmesan(TM). Heat oven to temp on box. Rinse filets, shake and bake. Depending on thickness of filets and your oven, 7 - 10 mins.

4. COmplex. In a small bowl mix 0.25 cup soy sauce with 1 tblsp honey, 1 tblsp mirin or plum wine, 2 tblsp sesame oil and 1 - 2 tsp of wasabi paste (to taste and heat). Mix thoroughly. Spread sesame seeds on plate. Heat well seasoned cast iron pan to high heat with 2 tblsp vegtable oil. Dunk tuna in liquid, then coat thoroughly with sesame seeds, pressing seeds into tuna. Immediately place tuna steaks into hot frying pan, taking care not to crowd/overload the pan. Cook about 2 -3 mins per side for medium rare. DO not cook past medium, you will regret it. You can also substitute crushed pistachio nuts or mix them 50/50 with the sesame seeds. Serve with soy sauce, rice wine vineger.

5. Simple. Preheat grill to very hot temp. Coat clean rack with oil before grilling. Take tuna steaks and coat thoroughly with olive oil. Sprinkle both sides with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then heavily coat with *fresh* rosemary on both sides. Grill to appropriate doneness, but never more than medium; the rarer the better.

9. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Pretty much what I do, except I can take or leave the salt, pepper, and dill.

Also, I'll use lemon juice insted of sliced lemon in a pinch.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

It is my humble and unprofessional opinion that salt and pepper are an essential ingredient in anything that is put onto a plate for consumption.

The only time I break that rule is with pepper and sweet things, though everything sweet benefits from the proper application of salt.

11. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Outstanding, guys! :thumbsup:

Copying and pasting as I write! :supergrin:

Tell me more about this cedar/wood plank... Do I just buy one at the lumber yard and cut to length? Any other choice woods used for this? Okay for gas grill? This is an all new angle for me! :headscratch:

Again, thanks! :wavey:

--Ray

12. Glockdude1

Buy your plank from a grocery store, or any place that sells BBQ stuff. Don't buy wood from a lumber yard. If you use treated wood, you and anyone that eats the food would become very sick.

The wood plank you choose (Cedar & Hickory are nice) must be soaked in advance to prevent it from catching on fire on the grill. This should be done at least one hour in advance but ideally anywhere from four hours to overnight. Submerge the plank in water and weigh it down so it doesn’t float. For a richer soak, you might even add some Chardonnay to the water (especially good if you can find an oak plank from old wine barrels). Aside from deterring fiery flare-ups, soaking is what produces all that wonderful smoke. The damp wood also releases its moisture back into the food, helping it retain juices.

Before placing food on the plank, brush the cooking side lightly with vegetable oil to keep food from sticking. Delicate items or those that cook slowly are the best candidates for your plank: fish fillets, roast chicken, pork roast, corn or even fruit. Allow for 50 percent more cooking time than regular grilling. The plank provides indirect heat like a baking stone, so it isn’t good for quickly-cooked items like steaks that need intense, direct flame.

Simply season your food and place the plank in the middle of the grill, then don’t mess with it. No flipping is required because the plank is a heat conductor; all you have to do is baste as desired with barbecue sauce or lemon juice, spray any errant flames with a water bottle and wait patiently. The result is moist, naturally seasoned food with that quintessential smoked wood taste. Plank-cooked fare is also healthier than even traditional grilling because it retains more nutrients and requires less fat to achieve the same juicy results.

Example:
    [​IMG]

13. jkirk

jkirk USN, Retired

You are gonna think I'm a little off my rocker, but I cook salmon in my dishwasher.

Seriously.

Season them as you wish (a little lemon, a pat of butter, and fresh dill for me), wrap them water tight in aluminum foil, and place them on the top rack of your dishwasher....OBVIOUSLY no dishes, or detergent, and run a full cycle.

When the cycle is done, you will have the best salmon you have ever had.

I do this at dinner parties, and the guests get a kick out of it, and always, ALWAYS, love it.

Good eats!

Jeff

14. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

15. boozer

boozer

Salmon.

Chili powder, cumin, salt, and a lot of brown sugar.

Broil til the brown sugar is bubbly.

Something different from the lemon, dill, rosemary, etc.

16. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Simple and tasteless.

Frozen tilapia in a steamer for 25 minutes. My wife likes it with broccoli from the same steamer.

17. Glockdude1

Yes, I believe you are off your rocker, BUT now I want to try it!!!

:cool:

18. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

GT members- You are the best for taking the time to share all of this good information. May good karma come back to you! :supergrin:

19. shavedape

shavedape

:goodpost:

You can also do this method with parchment paper (en papillote as the French say). Works really well and tastes great!

20. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©