Recipe Thread, Beef heart, liver, and tongue

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 88_gurgel, Feb 24, 2010.

1. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

Just purchased a beef quarter and it included 3 packages of liver, at least 1 heart, and 1 tongue. I need some recipes.

I have heard that you can boil the tongue for several hours and peel away the outer skin. Liver is usually cooked with onions, heart is just like really lean meat from what I hear. Beyond that, I havn't a clue what to do with these 3 oddities.

2. AAshooter

AAshooter

Boil 'em, rough chop them and put them on top of kibble with some broth . . . dogs love 'em!

3. George Tucker

George Tucker George Tucker

Baked Heart after it cools makes good lunch meat, i love a big pan of liver and onions.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I'd cut my own out before eating any of those.

5. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I have had cow tongue in the past and it was delicious

edit: once you get past the fact its a tongue...

The only meat that tastes you back.

:rofl:

6. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Liver is great when you fry it up with onions and lots of black pepper..I like mine done REAL REAL well, so it's just on the tender side of a boot sole, then I toss away the onions as I like the flavor, but can't stand the slimey texture.

Beef heart...best par boiled and then buried in a pot of beans and slow cooked for hours.

Tounge...par boil, peel off the skin, slice thin, then fry it up with some bacon...wicked good stuff.

7. bluenoise

bluenoise

8. blackjack

blackjack

Haggis anyone??? I know it is tradional for it to be sheep offal and stomach but sometimes you have to make do.

9. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

you got the wrong quarter, dude. the liver is the body's filter. no thanks. that cow tongue has been eating in very close proximity to cow crap- your call, i'd pass. the heart, that's a good muscle. the inside of the chambers is gonna have some gristle and the valves might be really chewy, but the muscle part ought to be good. i'd fillet it out, coat it in flour, and pan fry it.

10. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I am not too worried about where this cow ate. It came from an uncles farm and not some mass feed lot somewhere. It had plenty of land to roam on and eat. Ask someone from the depression era if it ever killed them to eat darn near all of the animals parts. Not only that, but you must be thoroughly disgusted by sausage since it uses pig intestines traditionally.

edit: and just because you said that, I may try and go find a rocky mountain oyster feed somewhere and gourge on balls :rofl:

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Pressure cook the heart and tongue, peel the tongue, grind together in a sausage grinder and use as sandwich meat. Freeze it plain in freezer containers, packed in tightly. When you want some, fork out what you want, No problemo, spice with mustard and horseradish, a dash black pepper, some mayo, & serve on hearty bread. Rye, Sourdough, Whole Wheat, etc.

The liver slice thin, dip in straight ground sage (kills the foul taste, but you won't taste IT, I promise) fry nearly hard (crispy edges, still tender) and serve with slowly cooked onions (carmelized). The trick to liver is what you serve WITH it, besides that trick with sage. You want crunchy, you want contrasting tastes (cole slaw, red beans with chow chow (hot relish), homemade cracked wheat rolls or thin cornbread) foods with impact to balance the liver..

you don't have a problem, you have groceries. :)

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Slice the heart very very thinly after boiling and serve it in a chicken broth with Vietnamese rice noodles.

The liver? sliced thin and grill over open flame with some tangy BBQ sauce type.

The tongue? Stew it with carrots, potatoes, peas and tomato. Throw in some red wine too.

13. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

aw, c'mon, man! i said i'd eat the heart. just remind me not to come over on spaghetti and "meatball" night. :supergrin:

but i'd still be mad at my uncle for keeping the briskets and fillets and givin' me the guts. wouldn't buy any guns from him, iff'n ya catch my drift.:tongueout:

14. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

haha, Ya I wouldn't have the proper equipment to cook the briskets proper anyhow. I got around 30-40 lbs of hamburger and the rest in roasts and steaks. :wavey:

15. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

sweet!
    BBQ at gurgel's house!

after the snow goes away.

16. OGW

OGW SAF

Liver--fry it hot, medium rare, lots of fried onions on the side.

Tongue--it's fantastic if you brine it and smoke it like a small ham, then boil, skin, slice and eat.

17. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Marinate the liver in soy sauce, pan-fry it with some onion. Mmmm.

Better with calamansi, but where are you going to find that?