close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rechargable Batteries

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by srhoades, Sep 5, 2004.

1. srhoades

srhoades

I recently bought an 8 pack of Energizer 2300mah batteries and a standard Energizer charger. I know the batteries are of a high capacity so they should take a while to charge. However, they have been charging for almost 24hrs and the lights on the charger have not turned off, which the charger says they will when they are done. Is this normal?

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I use nicads for RC models.
    About 600ma to about 1500ma.

At most a 15 hour charge will bring them up to full charge.

24 hours seems like a long time but the charger may be designed to charge at a low rate.

If the batteries are pretty warm I think I'd check it out.

3. srhoades

srhoades

These are NiMh. I tried googling around and couldn't find much and Energizer's site is worthless.

4. gudel

gudel

where did you get that rechargeable energizer at 2300mah?

5. Dandapani

Dandapani

I bought Rayovac 1600 mah NiMH batteries for my digital camera, and the Rayovac 1-Hour Charger. And it does. It also has a switch to convert the charger to NiCd. Does yours have the switch? Is the setting correct? Just an idea.

6. southernshooter

southernshooter

Is it Nicads or what kind that work best when used until drained way down before recharging? Some rechargables will take a "set" if you don't run them down before recharging-Will only carry a surface charge and not work for long time durations.

7. srhoades

srhoades

Like I said they are NiMh (Nickel metal hydride) and it is not a quick charger. They were significantly more.

And to answer gudels question I got an 8-pack at Target for $18

8. huaco

huaco

I've been using ni-mh rechargable AA cells for a couple of years in my GPS and camera and I think they are great. I spent about $40 for a good charger and 4 batteries. The charger will completely charge a depleted battery in about four hours and then float them indefinately. It will discharge and then charge if I want but I have not found this to be very necessary with ni-mh cells.

State of the art when I made the first purchase was 1600-1700 mha. Since then I've bought cells rated at 2100 and lately 2300 mha and they are made by Energizer. They definitely last longer but I'm still using the first set I bought.

A couple of months ago I bought a cheapo trickle charger for the office. It did not take long to conclude that the extra money for the good charger was well spent.

To answer the original question...if the light hasn't gone out after 24 hours something is wrong. Batteries in wrong, battery type and charger don't match, or something is not working right.

9. plato

plato softie

10. gudel

gudel

i have maha chargers. it's this one. seems popular among digital camera people.

i'd just take out the batteries and use it after 24 hours. could be the charger's messed up in your case.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I also use the NiMh (Nickel metal hydride).

The advantage is size for size their amp hr rating is about twice as much as the nicads.

The second advantage is they don't have to be discharged (cycled) down to about 1.1v every once in a while (like nicads) to prevent memory.

(I've heard "experts" argue that micads do or don't get a memory. I've got an automatic cycler so it doesn't make any difference to me)

I charge the NiMh (Nickel metal hydride) the same as nicads with the same chargers, about 6 to 10 hours.

Maybe the NiMh (Nickel metal hydride) batteries should have a different charger?? But for several years now my nicad chargers have done the job.:)

12. srhoades

srhoades

Well, I pulled the batteries as I didn't want them sitting too long. Energizier has a tech support number. I'll try calling them after the holiday.

13. gudel

gudel

it's just batteries. give it a try couple of days. lay down the phones! there's no need to go to Elevated risk alert status.

14. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Sounds like you possibly have a bad charger?

I run the Rayovac IC3 batteries and my GOD. They charge in 15 minutes, last one heck of alot longer in both my GPS and digital (power hungry pig) camera.

15. huntery

huntery

I agree, just use them till they are near dead and charge them the second time.
    I had that problem with my charger not going off after one hour on new batteries. The second charge usually works but it does get scary during the initial charge. The heat melted the shrink wrap from 2 batteries.

16. srhoades

srhoades

I think I figured it out. Yesterday after I took out the first set of batteries I put in the second set. This morning the lights were off so I removed the charger and plugged it back in. The lights are now on again. Although the charger doesn't specify, it probably discharges the batteries before charging. On my first set I removed the charger and moved it to a different plug therefore starting the whole process over again.

17. aspartz

aspartz

All I know is do *not* use NiMh AAA batteries in a Minitor III/IV pager. Apparently the NiMh betteries draw too much current for the standard Motorola charge base. I found out the hard way that the "charging" LED is also the fuse for base :(

ARS

18. fatlander

fatlander Comrade

Check the current suply of the charger [should be written on the charger, something like 1.2v dc 100maH]
    the fastest charger i know is about 100maH that means that he charges the 2300 maH batteries in 23 hours, so i guess after 24 hours the should be charged