Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Señor Member
10,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did prices recently jump up or have I just not bought any in a long time?

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
There have been many 2A deals lately, including primers. Powder, on the other hand, is still holding strong to higher prices. I wouldn't be surprised if market forces catch up with gunpowder and put downward pressure on prices like it has for guns and ammo.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
Steady climb in prices since 2012. Do I expect it to drop, no. Will you find sales, sure.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Steady climb in prices since 2012. Do I expect it to drop, no. Will you find sales, sure.

Prices did not climb steadily since 2012. Powder was much more expensive when it was scarce and came down in 2016 when the hoarders finally stopped buying every pound that was on the table and manufacturers caught up with demand. Only now since 2018 they are slightly increasing with most big vendors.

But if you look at GunBroker, you will find plenty of powder starting at $15 a pound.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Prices did not climb steadily since 2012. Powder was much more expensive when it was scarce and came down in 2016 when the hoarders finally stopped buying every pound that was on the table and manufacturers caught up with demand. Only now since 2018 they are slightly increasing with most big vendors.

But if you look at GunBroker, you will find plenty of powder starting at $15 a pound.
It's much like the .22 ammo shortage. When the manufactures see that they are over producing they will lay off employees and the prices should come down. Federal has had some large lay-offs as of late due to that. But remember...powder cost for reloading handgun ammo is not really relevant. It's the bullets that determine your savings. Buy bullets in bulk quantities where possible.

·
Who me?
189 Posts
I'm still getting sale emails from Powder Valley, Bruno's and Mid-South with good deals. Lowest I saw was 20 bucks a can for most IMR powders.

My wife was in Bass Pro about 2 weeks ago and called me to ask if I needed any powder. I asked her to look at the prices and report.
30 bucks a can for WST.
Most everything they had was 30 bucks or better.
Primers - 5 beans a pack of 100. That's 50 bucks per 1000! (Melbourne, Florida)
I try to buy on sale especially when the hazmat fee is lowered or free. Not too often but happens.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
It's much like the .22 ammo shortage. When the manufactures see that they are over producing they will lay off employees and the prices should come down. Federal has had some large lay-offs as of late due to that. But remember...powder cost for reloading handgun ammo is not really relevant. It's the bullets that determine your savings. Buy bullets in bulk quantities where possible.
Or learn to make your own.

·
NRA Member
3,516 Posts
I'm still getting sale emails from Powder Valley, Bruno's and Mid-South with good deals. Lowest I saw was 20 bucks a can for most IMR powders.

My wife was in Bass Pro about 2 weeks ago and called me to ask if I needed any powder. I asked her to look at the prices and report.
30 bucks a can for WST.
Most everything they had was 30 bucks or better.
Primers - 5 beans a pack of 100. That's 50 bucks per 1000! (Melbourne, Florida)
I try to buy on sale especially when the hazmat fee is lowered or free. Not too often but happens.
Bass Pro is always high here

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I have a recpt from 10 years ago.

Primers - $23/1000 now $29
Accurate 5.... pd - $14.50 now $21
Accurate 2... pd - $12.50 now $20
Accurate 2015..pd $14.50 now $23

We're basically on the edge of not saving any money over factory rounds when it comes right down to it.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
I have a recpt from 10 years ago.

Primers - $23/1000 now $29
Accurate 5.... pd - $14.50 now $21
Accurate 2... pd - $12.50 now $20
Accurate 2015..pd $14.50 now $23

We're basically on the edge of not saving any money over factory rounds when it comes right down to it.
Hardly. Even at todays prices, I can save 40% over factory 9, more than 50% on 45 or 357sig. Magnums, 70% is not unusual. So 3c for a primer, 1c for powder, the bullet is the deal breaker. At 7c for coated 9mm, I am shooting for $110/1000. Better than russian poop.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
Went online shopping and saw a major dealer charging a $30 Hazmat fee. I hope no one follows suit. One reason to go to gunshows.
Well not so fast OX. We just put an order in for 50K primers & 4# jug of powder, just to round the order off. The total HM + SH was $42. The primers were cci sp @ $20/K. So that added a whopping $1 per unit. Gunshows around here charge about $15-$20 to get in, plus parking, plus gas not to mention my time. HM+SH can be a bargain depending on where you live. I haven't been to a gun show here in about 20y.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.