close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recent Gen3/Gen4 G19 stoppages

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 8th ID, Apr 21, 2012.

1. 8th ID

8th ID

Seems to be so many threads on here about problems with either recent Gen3 and Gen4 G19's having problems, I sometimes get confused about which one I've read.

I'm curious about recent G19's that have had actual stoppages. I mean the gun quits running or has an actual malfunction i.e. FTE, FTF, etc. etc.

I own 2 Gen4 G19's. Both have been flawless. My newest one: 12/28/11 is my EDC and my IDPA gun.

While shooting mine, especially in IDPA I can't tell you where my brass goes, I'm too concentrated on the stage. I've taken one small defensive class and had some decent training given by my brother who is on the state National Guard Marksmanship team. During training I also didn't notice or care where my brass went. I just know that the pistol just keeps on running.

I wonder if some of the posts people are reading are really making shooters 'notice' or pay too much attention to where the brass is going.:dunno:

I'm not trying to slam anyone who is having ejection issues, I would like to know how many of these G19's simply will not run.

2. 8th ID

8th ID

Just another quick note: I SO'ed an IDPA match today. There were 4 Glocks in my squad, 1 M&P, and 1 XD.

1-Gen4 G19 mine-flawless
    1-Gen4 G17 (my brother-in-law) flawless
    1-G21 flawless
    1-Gen3 G34 feed issues(actual stoppage)
    1-M&P flawless
    1-xd feed issues/jam-o-matic(actual stoppage)x3 or 4

Doesn't really mean anything, just a simple report.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

3. Radian

Radian

Yep, had a guy earlier mention failures and turns out that he is talking about brass landing on him. Not actual stoppage.

I think there are lots of new folks out there who have not had the great luck I had to come up with master class shooters to give them a sense of what really matters in the general operation of semi auto pistols.

Hopefully the more they read and more they shoot IDPA or take classes from the Tiger Swans or Blackwaters out there the less this will be relevant.

4. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

I actually just posted almost the exact same thing earlier today...

To me, Glocks are still as reliable as ever - I haven't heard of any FTF/FTE issues or any other stoppage issues with the new Gen 4s and 3s - just people whining about where the brass goes.

And yes, I have a Gen4 G19 that is consistently erratic ejection-wise, but fires flawlessly and accurate as sin. I bet my life on it.

5. 8th ID

8th ID

Vienna--

That's funny. Just minutes after I started this thread, I saw yours. :cool:

Seriously, I don't claim to be some sort of expert, and don't play one on TV. But, I do have a few years of experience and some solid training, and I would really like to know how many of these 19's actually have a shooting stoppage. My guess is that the number would be low.

I carry my G19 with 100% confidence in the gun, and I trust it. I'm not fanatical about Glocks, but the Gen4 fits my hands very well, and I can shoot it more accurately than any other pistol I own.

6. howard_c

howard_c

I appreciate this thread. I just picked up a new Gen 3 FDE 19 for $499. I usually don't buy new; just kinda look around and pick up used Glocks. I just liked the contrast of the frame. I have have NEVER had a Glock FTF or FTE. After reading some of the Forum posts I thought I might have made a mistake. This thread makes me think of the phrase "Don't borrow trouble!" I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but I'm sure the 19 will run just fine.

7. 8th ID

8th ID

howard c--

Congrats on the new 19.:cool:

I didn't start the thread to prove that zero problems exist with the newer Gen3 and Gen4 guns. I just had read so many posts about erratic ejection, etc. and how disappointed the new buyer was with a new Glock pistol.

I simply wanted to point out that many of these issues, it seems, have been multiplied simply by others posting about the issues. It seemed that many new Glock owners were buying pistols, going to the range 'looking' for problems.

Maybe I've missed them, and I admit to not being able to read every thread on GT, but I recall reading very few threads where the new pistol had an actual firing stoppage.

8. Rustin

Rustin

I think I've heard the Gen4 Glock referred to as the "internet gun". The speculation, confusion amongst new shooter's, Gen3 purism and general disdain for anything new, combined with teething problems with early model's has spawned the demon that is the reputation of the Gen4 Glock's. With the bulk of report's of glock's going back to smyrna and the plethora of threads by people with "erratic ejection", it makes you wonder. I would venture to guess that most gen4 owner's are pleased with their gun, and generally don't get on the internet to report their success with their pistol. I never really payed much attention to where my brass was going, even if it did bounce off my head, I only payed attention to malfunction's. I've seen Glock's from every generation, M&P's and other pistols with less than "ideal" ejection that otherwise worked fine without stoppages.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I had my first stoppage last week with my G4 19. I just recently put in the 0-4-3 spring. I was also getting more brass to the head. I've gone back to the original 0-3 spring. My worry is that that spring is no longer available probably so some day when I go to replace it I may no choice.

I worry for Glock's long-term fate. Between these QC issues, the lack of responding to the market place (eg. no single stack CCW guns, a half-baked backstrap system, etc) and the internal goings-on at the company I really wonder if they will still be around in 10 years.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  10. 8th ID

8th ID

I'm curious now. 178 reads on this thread so far, many threads on brass to face, poor ejection, etc. and only ONE report of an actual stoppage?:dunno:

11. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

I was actually counting down until droves of posts let you know that you have no idea what you're talking about, Gen4s are garbage, and that Glock is going to hell in a handbag with all the lack of consideration towards the general public for offering such shoddy product. :whistling:

Thanks for your posts that IMO reflect the majority of us.

A disclaimer, as I am not looking to start WWIII... I do and have seen many of the same or similar problems folks have/had/are having, it sucks and I am not denying or questioning anyone's claims. However, any current issues do only affect a very, very small portion of product... a chance we all take, regardless in buying of any make or model.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  12. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

3000 rounds on my Gen 4 19 and have had 0 stoppages.

13. vachargerfan1

vachargerfan1

So far I have 250 rounds through my late model 3rd Gen. I have had no stoppages, and 1 piece of brass hit me on the top of the head (it also could have ricocheted off the side of the stall barrier). I couldn't be happier with the performance so far

14. Radian

Radian

That's funny, you see we are not their main customer. Glock makes pistols to sell on FBO, if we buy their products too, that's a bonus for them.. If the nice people who sign purchase orders for the federal agencies that buy them have issues they will be more likely to respond. S&W responded to plenty of stupid requests on the 1076 from the feds.

They respond to the marketplace, just not the one we participate in.

15. 8th ID

8th ID

I believe this to be true.

16. 8th ID

8th ID

Me too.

I will never claim to be any sort of expert. Never. I'm sure there are many shooters on this forum who have much more experience than I do. I'm simply trying to sort out, as much as I can, the difference between late Gen3 and Gen4 G19's erratic ejection, etc. and the guns that are having actual firing stoppages.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  17. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I believe this to be true as well

:50cal:

18. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

make that 3500

:nsb:

19. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

99% of these "brass to the face" claims are IMO being made my new & incompetent shooters as well as older 'borderline' shooters with both parties usually using crap ammo.

I have helped several new Gen4 shooters solve their problems by showing them proper shooting technique. A Glock is not a gun for a 'soft' shooter as it's very prone to limpwristing for the untrained & even moreso when you toss in the cheapest Walmart crap ammo into the equation.

20. Wizz

Wizz

You said it...it's an 'opinion.' Fact is the last two years Glock has not produced the same quality as previous renditions. The problem is not ammo, the previous versions ate any ammo off the shelf...with NO brass to the head either. A quality pistol should feed any standard SAAMI spec shelf ammo, just like Glocks used to. Glock is making progress, it just took them 2 years of throwing parts at the gun.