Recent Armslist sale

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glowrod, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

The correct answer is 9x19mm or 9mm Luger. There is more than one 9mm caliber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_mm_caliber

I own guns chambered in these 9mm calibers.

9x17mm (.380 ACP)
    9x18mm (Makarov)
    9x19mm (Luger)

2. mdlott

mdlott

Send it my way. Dad has a GAP.

glowrod likes this.

3. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I've used Armslist for years. And over the years, everyone I've encountered has been at least somewhat firearm savvy - until recently. A lot of noobs on there now.

I had a rifle listed on Armslist a couple months ago. A guy contacted me and told me he'd take it. Colorado has universal background checks, so we had to meet at an FFL for the transfer. I assumed he knew this. I asked if he had an FFL preference, he didn't, so I suggested one.

Unknown to me, the guy was new to gun buying, and had no idea why were meeting at an FFL. I guess he just thought it was a place to meet in public.

When he showed up, he found out he had to undergo a BC (which were taking three days at that time), and pay the FFL for the transfer. That was not satisfactory to him, so he turned around, walked out, and didn't buy my rifle.

So now whenever someone is interested in buying a gun I have on Armslist, I ask if they're familiar with how the process works.

4. -JCN-

-JCN-

0EFF1051-66D1-4D0C-9CFD-132B124EE63C.jpeg

I am going to sell this ammo on Armslist without a description and watch heads explode...

:D

BigBluefish, NH Trucker, treg and 2 others like this.
  5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I just helped-out as a Range Safety Officer at a friend's wife's NRA class for new gun owners (not sure of the formal class title). 16 people (2 couples), none of whom had ever fired a firearm of any kind before.

But 5 of them brought their own brand-new handguns to the range session.
    As said above, there are a LOT of new gun owners/shooters out there right now.

light-switch and gsapatka01 like this.
  6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Now that's just mean...

Gotta like that stylized sorta-Glock on the top box.
    Angled cocking grooves, and no hole at the front of the slide for the Recoil Spring Assembly.

-JCN- likes this.
  7. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

I get this a lot. The display tags on the pistol cradles show the caliber at the top of the label, then the name of the firearm under that.

"Hey can I look at that pistol."

"Sure, no problem. Which one?"

"The 9mm .... Luger?"

(we don't stock any used pistols)

"You'll have to be more specific, that's the caliber, every pistol in that cabinet is chambered in 9mm Luger. Which pistol did you mean?"

"Ohhhhh..."

The worst ones -

"What's this?"

".17 HMR"

"Is that the same as /can I shoot this in a .22?"

[​IMG]

Got a call one day,

"I gotta axe a question, you got bullets for a Glock 23?"

"Yes we have a variety of .40 S&W loads in stock."

"I SAID A 23, NOT A 40!"

Speaking of .17 HMR -

"Oh man, this is my first rifle, I can't wait to take it hunting."

"The .17 HMR? Cool, congrats. What are you trying to hunt?"

"My buddies and I are going hog hunting in Texas."

Same guy comes in next week, buys a .30-06.

"Looking forward to take this hunting."

"Oh what are you hunting?"

"Squirrels."

[​IMG]

DJ Niner and gsapatka01 like this.
  8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Back in the 1990s I had a friend who insisted that Smith & Wesson made Glock. I explained to him about the 40S&W caliber and that of course Smith & Wesson did not "make Glocks or their own Glock" but rather than virtually every firearms manufacturer was making models chambered in 40S&W.

He stuck to his guns.

So one time I was visiting I took my Glock 23 to show him. I ran through the spiel again explaining that most manufacturers including Glock made pistols chambered in 40S&W, and that S&W most definitely did not make Glocks, and pulled out the G23 to show him.

He was elated and felt vindicated in his own eyes "See I told you!" he exclaimed pointing at the 40S&W markings.

:freak: :headscratch:

Sherlock913 likes this.
  9. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I have a hang up regarding language; a bullet is the projectile, the cartridge is what you put into the gun and is comprised of the bullet, case, powder and primer.

One of my dreams is to work at a gun store and when a person asks for bullets; sell them bullets. When they come back to scream and complain, respond by calmly telling them I had sold them exactly what they asked for; if they wanted cartridges, they should have asked for cartridges.

Yeah I know I am an @$$#0(3, and that I would get my butt fired the first day.

10. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Did you tell him which end of the gun was supposed to face him and which end was to point down range??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

i already get enough heat correcting clips vs magazines.

MNBud and gsapatka01 like this.
  12. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

Thanks for being that guy.... clearly that isn't what we're talking about here.

The cartridge is also stamped on the pistol clear as day

The person who bought my gun legitimately thought this gun needed brand x ammo and couldn't use brand y.

He told me was a gun owner but hadn't had a pistol in years so he 'forgot all that good stuff years ago'....

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Pretty sure I have answered that guy's post in General Glocking...537 times.

treg, -JCN- and NH Trucker like this.
  14. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Right it is all about how dumb the guy is and how superior you are.

I like gently introducing newbies to shooting. I don't belittle people because they don't know and want to learn.

I also try to use precision when explaining things. I know if they go to a gun shop they might well see 9x18 mm ammo on the shelf and think it will work.

Yah it's a 38. You mean .38 Special, .38 Super, or one of other .38 (actually .357) calibers that have been used over the years. You know what I mean, it's a 38.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  15. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

I wasn't being superior. He was portraying himself to be something he wasn't. You weren't there so it's kind of difficult to imagine how you draw some of your conclusions.

This guy legitimately thought he needed 'taurus 'brand ammo. If he owned other guns like he said he did then he would know how that works.

I was very polite to him and didn't make him feel stupid. Not my thing.
    He clearly felt pressured and didn't want to appear stupid while making sure he didn't hurt himself.

It did however catch me off guard when he started asking about the ammo.

Out of 50-70+ armslist transactions that was a first.

Haldor likes this.
  16. Glock4life!

Glock4life!

For these reasons if I sell a firearm private party FTF I explicitly post in my ads that I'll only sell to someone possessing a valid Ohio DL and valid Ohio CCW and I ask to see both prior to the exchange. I know the basic handgun safety course isn't the end of pistol training but it makes me feel a little better selling to someone who took the basic safety course and completed the background check to get their CCW.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  17. as400guy1

as400guy1

Fully semi automatic

Sherlock913 likes this.
  18. CC Glock

CC Glock

Armslist has gotten crazy over the last month. I have bought a half dozen guns off it with ZERO issues. Got scammed about 2 weeks ago on some parts, cases of 9mm going for $650 and glocks anywhere from $750 to 1k!!! Nucking Futs!

19. Tacoma12

Tacoma12

One of the few times I did a private sale off Armslist, which I no longer do, I sold a Glock 22 Gen4 that I had lying around. My ad clearly stated "2 magazines with gun". We meet. He tries to field strip the gun and I notice it's not working. I tell him he needs to pull the trigger to field strip a Glock. Then he says something about Glock's are supposed to have 3 magazines. I remind him that my ad clearly states that 2 magazines are included. He demands 3. I tell him, politely, take it or leave it. He gets 2. He wants $20 off our agreed price. I tell him no. He pays me, leaves in a huff. I decided right there I'd never do a private gun sale with a stranger again.

20. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

When I worked for an FFL(back in the early 90s) I was always kind to uneducated buyers. Often spent extended time explaining things to them. If they feel good leaving they will come back. We had one guy that was a condescending ass, he was fired during his first month.