Recall questions... Will new frame hurt resale?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ndhill, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I called Glock today to inquire about a frame recall on my G27. Turns out it does fall in the serial (#EUK***US) of the recall. Glock gave me some options.

1. Send it in now
    a. Get a generic frame (brand new) without a matching serial # (this takes 4 weeks)
    or
    b. Get a specialized serial where they add the #1 to my existing serial (this takes 6-8 weeks)

2. Monitor the problem and send it in if it ever does fail (even 20 years later)

I've pretty much decided to go ahead and have it replaced now, but my REAL question is this. If I get a generic serial on it, will it hurt the resale value of the gun? I can deal with the wait if I need to, but if it wont hurt the resale im inclined to g/a and get it back quicker.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

ALSO, I've never shipped a firearm. I live in KS, do I need to go through an FFL? or Can i just ship it to them myself?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

You can ship it yourself through UPS or FedEx, but it will cost you $50 or $60 because they require that handguns be shipped overnight to keep their employees from stealing them.

If you can get a dealer to ship it, they can ship much cheaper....and through the US Mail even (you can't).

My self, I do feel that a gun with mismatched serial numbers would reduce value, but it's really up to the person buying it, some don't care.

3. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I had the same issue on my 26. I ended up going with mismatching serials, and I was up front about it when I sold it. Didn't hurt resale one bit.

4. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

I just bout a G22 with mismatching #'s (old LE gun) for $300 from a co-worker. We both feel good about it.

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

As long as it shoots, I could care less if my gun was randomly assembled from 10 buckets of parts. Glock could stop serializing the barrel and slide (for the US market, not sure about other countries) and make the whole issue moot.

6. c133jim

c133jim

You walk into a gun shop and the salesman shows you two Glock 19's. Both used and in great shape. One has "matching numbers" and the other is mis-matched. Now ask yourself, "Which Glock should I buy" ?????

I'd go with option #1B. If you are going to wait 4 weeks for a mis-match, why not wait 2 more weeks and have everything matched.

7. SCC

SCC just me

It will not hurt ..
    it will be a new frame
    Or you could leave it to the next guy that buy's
    it for him to get the new
    frame ..
    how happy do you think he would be after buing it then have
    to send it in for a new frame ...

Just sent it in and get the frame that they put
    a 1 in front of the number and be done with it ...

8. SCC

SCC just me

I'M WITH BamaTrooper :whistling:

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

They one that looks the best when I take it apart and inspect it. Then, if all other things being equal...buy the cheaper one.

Interesting note here, my G19 just came back from Glock. I bought a used night sighted 2nd gen from a local pawn shop. Paid 175 and tax because a dog had chewed the magwell and it was f'ed up. Sent it to Glock, they upgraded the frame and sent it back with a G #### serial numbered 3rd gen frame. I had the option of a second gen frame, but since I already have two of those, I elected to go for the 3rd.

New frame, new innards, excellent condition barrel and vg condition (cosmetically, but excellent functionally) slide.

Chewed up Glock $185
    Shipping $30
    Replacement frame $45
    Knowing it will run like a top Priceless :supergrin:

10. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Recall!

There is a recall?

Why didn't someone tell me there is a recall?

Lets see....buy a pistol with non-matching numbers or buy a pistol that has been recalled but some guy is trying to sell....Hmmmmmmmm?

There is a recall?

11. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not really asking IF i should or shouldn't replace the frame. I will get it replaced and why not, it's free.

What I'm really asking is if waiting the extra weeks is worth it just for matching serials.

So far i've got a couple people saying get matching and a couple people saying it doesn't matter.

12. vram74

vram74

If its just a frame, why won't they just ship you a new one without making you send yours in?

13. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I suppose otherwise you could just claim you had one with the EUK***US serial series and get a new frame?

Also, I don't really mind sending it to them.. i've often heard stories of them refurbishing other parts while they are at it so why not?

But it will be a slight inconvenience to not have my gun. But I have a backup plan.. :)

14. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I'd recommend the matching numbers. When I look at a used gun and the numbers don't match, I'm thinking Frankengun.

15. vram74

vram74

I guess you have a point. May I ask what the recall on the frames was about and what Gen/models were affected?

16. Agonizer

Agonizer .

Just my humble opinion, but I would wait the extra couple of weeks for the 1 added serial. I would hesitate to buy a gun with non matching numbers. I think lots of other people would also.

17. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

They had a batch of frame rails they used mostly in guns made with serial number prefix starting with 'E', and a small percentage of the rails turned out to be faulty to the point of breaking off.

They replaced the possibly affected frames on a voluntary basis if a person's gun fell within the suspected serial numbers whether the rails had broken or not. If a person doesn't want to do it but the rails break years down the road, they will still replace it for them.

I had two guns in the range, I had one frame replaced but not the other as I have no plans to ever shoot it. Here's the one I had replaced:

[​IMG]

18. AustinTx

AustinTx

I would go with the "1" addition.

Before you send the gun off, will you please look at the slide guide rails in the frame. See if you can tell, if it looks to be nickel plated or not? Can you see anything that looks like machining marks on the top of the guide rails? Glock started sending out guns that some people are having trouble, with what appears to be nickel plating flaking off. I would really like to see a picture of the guide rails, if that would be possible. I think the "E" SN business and plating flaking off started at the same time.
    Thanks for whatever you can send.
    AustinTx

19. CBennett

CBennett

first rule of Glock talk.....DONT TALK ABOUT GLOCK DEFECTS...there are none :rofl: . if you say this again you have the possibility of getting kicked out of the club.

20. Bluecard

Bluecard GUNDWG

I would send it back and get it taken care of. If there is a recall, it's never for looks, it's for a potential safety concern. Not to dog anyone, but if you bought a Glock as and investiment item, like an old WWII 1911 or something, you're going to really be disappointed on the financial return. Glock makes millions of them and they're made for shooting! :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010