Rebuilt/Factory Reconditioned

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Team Chuck Norris, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Team Chuck Norris

Team Chuck Norris

Using a division win certificate from a GSSF competition, I requested and obtained a 30S. It included a box with Rebuilt on it and a sticker on the trigger guard saying Factory Reconditioned.

Does anyone have actual knowledge (not speculation) as to what this means when Glock places these stickers on the gun and box?

I wonder: what does rebuilt mean? what does factory reconditioned mean? was this gun previously owned? returned to Glock for repairs or replacement?

I have received a couple dozen pistols from competitions earnings and random guns, but never a rebuilt/factory reconditioned. Anyone else ever receive one?

These stickers do not inspire confidence. IMG_6374.JPG

2. ede

ede

Good chance it was a demo gun. I'd guess it was inspected and springs replaced, still has same factory backing as a new gun. I wouldn't worry about it. I've bought several from my dealer and might have even won a match with one.

orangejeep06 and dudel like this.

3. Justin1911

Justin1911

I'd have complete confidence in the gun. However this is the first I've ever seen a rebuilt gun sent out from a certificate win

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  4. njl

njl Crusty Member

I remember someone else posting about this happening...that they contacted Glock/GSSF, and were told it was sent out in error. I'd suggest contacting Glock to ask if this was another accident, or if policy has changed.

5. Team Chuck Norris

Team Chuck Norris

I contacted Glock with the following email:

With a certificate from one of my competition earnings, I requested and received a 30S. It arrived and it has "REBUILT" and "Factory Reconditioned" stickers on the box and the trigger guard. I include a picture.
    Can you please advise: what exactly does rebuilt/factory reconditioned mean, was this gun owned previously by someone else, was it repaired due to a prior problem, and what is the exact history of the gun?
    Some guy named Butch told me not to worry but these stickers do not inspire confidence.
    Kindly please advise

Glock responded:

GLOCK Inc is having a FedEx return label sent to you so that the rebuilt item can be returned and a new G30S shipped out.

So, Glock is replacing the rebuilt/factory reconditioned gun with a new one. But they are not answering my questions. The rebuilt 30s took five months to arrive. I hope this new one is a little faster. Best guess is that somebody at Glock made a mistake and they should never have sent out a rebuilt/factory reconditioned gun. Still curious about what those labels really mean.....

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  6. dudel

dudel

Likely a demo gun. If the gun went to a prior owner, it would have been registered.

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

I'd give it a detailed going over, and if nothing objectionable was found, just keep it. With my luck, the replacement would take a year to arrive. I assume you've paid an FFL to have this one transferred to you and will have to pay again if it's replaced.

8. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I've bought many factory rebuilt, recertified handguns (Sig sells them0 and never ever had a problem and they carry a full warrantee.

That said, consider the liability they would be imposing on themselves if they sent a substandard gun out. They have to know that the gun they have rebuilt and sent out has to be 100% within spec.

9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

My "Random Gun" G30S arrived at my LGS and I checked it out yesterday. I did not notice the sticker on the case but the silver slip on the Trigger Guard said "Factory Reconditioned".It is a fairly recent product with a "BARW" prefix.

I have sent an e-mail, but it's still the weekend so, MAY hear tomorrow. Interesting it was ALSO a G30S.

New G30S.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Did someone in Smyrna not get the memo about not sending out rebuilt guns for pistol certificate redemptions?

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  11. JK-linux

JK-linux

Odd that the 30S pops up again as a rebuild. I haven't heard anything that would indicate a lot of issues with the 30S.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    1965jeff likes this.
  12. ADK_40GLKr

Well I haven't paid the FFL Fee, but I HATE the idea of waiting 4 months for another one.

13. ADK_40GLKr

Follow up on my "Factory Reconditioned" Prize Pistol
    Background on my Random Prize G30S, if you missed it.
    -

http://id.glock.com/answer/question/view/id/254648 - ....... and.....
    -
    http://id.glock.com/answer/question/view/id/254736.
    -

So, this morning, I took a break at work and called Glock about my “Factory Reconditioned” Random Prize Pistol. First I spoke with a gal in GSSF (not Stephanie S) and she said that they are supposed to send us NEW glocks for prizes, not rebuilt ones, and offered to send my LGS a box for shipping it back upon the LGS request. I asked whether the gun had been previously owned, whether it was under new warranty and why it had been “reconditioned’ and she didn’t know, but transferred me to Warranty.
    -

There I spoke with a “Shawn” who asked me the serial number and told me that “BARWxxx” had gone out to a gun show, didn’t sell and was returned. Such pistols cannot be sold as new, so they inspected it, and upgraded as necessary, put a “Factory Reconditioned” tag on the trigger guard, and returned it to inventory. It is still a new gun, unused, and there is nothing wrong with it. I thanked Shawn for his help and told him I’d e speaking with GSSF again.
    -

This time, I got “Stephanie Stone” and told her I would pick up the G30S from my LGS in a couple days, and I would be happy to keep it, rather than to go through all the hassle of sending a perfectly good gun back and ordering a new one..
    -
    Finally, I went down to the County Clerk’s office to register my new Glock. The clerk adds to my list of pistols I keep on a card with my Carry Permit. She had to start a new list on the back of the card. I guess I officially now have “Too Many Guns”.

Ed: There was some interesting discussion on Glock ID following this post there:
    http://id.glock.com/answer/question/view/id/254784

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. njl

njl Crusty Member

One bit of this that still doesn't make sense to me is I seriously doubt Glock takes pistols to gun shows (or even has tables at gun shows) other than SHOT or any similar industry shows. If this gun went out to a gun show, does that also mean it was bought by a distributor or dealer, and subsequently returned to Glock with unsold stock?

ADK_40GLKr and jab like this.
  15. ADK_40GLKr

That may be true. It certainly could have sounded that way. That was actually what I ws thinking at first. Does Glock go to local gun shows in the Atlanta Area?

Maybe "bought on consignment"??

16. njl

njl Crusty Member

AFAIK, Glock doesn't sell direct, so it wouldn't make sense for them to go to local gun shows.

17. ADK_40GLKr

18. Justin1911

Justin1911

Yuck, what state? Guess we're spoiled here in the South

19. AxlMyk

AxlMyk

After all that gun has gone through, and all the loving attention the factory has given it, I'd say you have one of the best Glocks ever produced.

DanaH and ADK_40GLKr like this.
  20. ADK_40GLKr

No argument there AxlMyk!

Got to shoot it tonight and it's doing GREEEAAAAT!