Reassembled my Glock and something is wrong

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by william_h, Mar 13, 2010.

1. william_h

william_h

I changed out the trigger in my G19 for a smooth version and got it back together and something is wrong. I'm not sure what I did, but the trigger won't reset. The slide also locks back without a magazine in the gun. And I can't get the slide off. I'm assuming I put the slide release back in wrong(?). Something definitely went in the wrong way.

Is there some way for me to get the slide off and try and fix this?

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

The slide stop spring should be under the locking block pin (if your G19 has a locking block pin...it should if it's relatively new). You should be able to see it as seen in this pic:
    [​IMG]
    Or, if you could see inside it:
    [​IMG]

Did you bend (straighten out) the connector?

You may need to lock the slide back and remove the firing pin to get the slide off. Put an empty mag in the gun to insure that the slide stays open while you do it. (This assumes that you are using correct field strip procedure....as in pulling the slide back slightly prior to pulling the slide lock down)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010

3. william_h

william_h

If I remove the firing pin, I should be able to take the slide off? Right now it won't come off.

4. Butch

There are two things that normally keep the slide on a Glock, the slide lock, and the firing pin/trigger bar interface.

This is why you have to pull the trigger prior to pulling the slide lock down to remove the slide.

If you bent the connector to 'straighten it', it is no longer in the right place to cam the rear end of the trigger bar down so it can release the firing pin, so you need to remove the firing pin.

You ARE able to pull the slide lock down......right?

5. Butch

Just to be sure that we aren't getting our parts crossed here:

[​IMG]

6. william_h

william_h

Well, I got the slide off. Thanks.

What I had done was get the spring on the slide stop lever on the wrong side of the locking block pin. Rather than laying under the locking block pin, it was hooked behind it, if that makes sense.

But now that I've got everything back together, the trigger still won't reset. Ugh.

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

Are we safe in assuming your serial number is EH or later and that you did you use a smooth G17 trigger?

You can check the bend of the connector mentioned by Butch by following the instructions for "checking the bend angle", half way down the page at http://www.ghostinc.com/category/istallationinstructions/ .

8. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I had a similar problem when I installed the Overtravel Stop. I tightened it up too much (who knew?) and put thslide back on. Trigger would not go back enough to fire, so I could adjust it. after some really hard trigger pulls, it finally clicked, and I was able to disassemble again... much less to say I was sweatin' boolits for a minute there!

9. Butch

Lets get back to the connector.....did you bend it?

It is really a spring, and it should bend out away from the mechanical housing like this:
    [​IMG]

10. william_h

william_h

frame prefix is KVF, and yes it's a smooth trigger bar from a G17. I think the connector was previously polished, but I didn't bend it. I can take it back out and see if it's bent...

11. Butch

Polishing can do it too.....did you polish the end of the connector tab?
    [​IMG]

If the length of the tab is insufficient, the connector can fail to be disconnected when the slide opens. If it doesn't disconnect, the rear end of the trigger bar doesn't move up to where the firing pin lug can snag it as the slide closes. But if that's what's happening, you should have been able to get the slide off.....

ANY other alterations? What connector is in it?

12. Butch

Did you take the trigger spring off of the mechanical housing? If so, did you put it back on correctly? Installing it backwards can cause problems too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Just checking in...

Was the trigger spring already installed in the new trigger housing? Did you take it out at any point?

Did you take out the slide lock at any point? (It only functions properly 1 way, don't think it's the problem but thought I'd mention it)

14. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

if the trigger bar was polished it could be the problem too. There are a couple of places that need to remain the full height and the slope on the trigger bar has to remain the same shape. I'll try to get a picture up..

15. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

[​IMG]

Butch I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your picture. And sorry for the bad photoshop. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about though. There are some parts that with too much polishing can screw up the trigger bar. They can cause the gun to double, short burst, etc.

Hopefully I got the parts on the trigger bar pointed out right (it's from memory off of AGI's Making Glocks Rock dvd with TR Graham.)

16. william_h

william_h

No, I literally just took the entire trigger housing out of my 17 and dropped it in the 19. It was working fine in the 17.

17. Butch

Gotta answer the questions!

Simply replacing one stock trigger bar with another stock trigger bar does not tend to cause these troubles.

What all has been polished, replaced, or otherwise altered?

18. william_h

william_h

I didn't do the polishing myself, so I'm not sure. The previous owner purchased the trigger from Charlie Vanek. So I'm not positive of what was done.

19. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

I don't know if the slide stop lever is the same in the 17 and 19 or if both of your guns were 3 pin models....but just incase, did you by chance swap the slide stop levers? I know glock has quite a few variations for this part.

20. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Maybe put it back the way it came from Glock?