Reasons such a large number of Cops use Glocks?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by picturethis, Jan 28, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

I've always wondered this, and I have never been able to really get a straight answer. According to one friend of mine who is a cop, he said that most of the cops who use Glock use it because their company can get it at below cost, and at almost no charge to them. He said Glock basically gives the guns away to police departments to get their name out there, hoping a lot of normal people will say "well the cops use Glocks, so they must be the best!" and they end up buying them. That sounds like a good marketing strategy, but I'm wondering if it's true. Do most cops get their gun at no cost to them, or do they have to pay for it? If Glock really does basically give the gun away, it's no doubt that a lot of cops would buy one of them instead of paying big money for something like a Sig or a S&W. Anyone with any input or info on this topic?

2. bac1023

bac1023

I believe much of that is true.

:popcorn:

3. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

My son is LEO for one of the largest counties in Georgia. He was issued a used Beretta 92 when he joined and still has it. It, along with all of his equipment, was issued to him at no cost. He has access to 50 rounds of practice ammo per month at no cost as well. His department is changing over to S&W pistols within a few weeks so he will be issued a new pistol at no charge. He may be able to purchase his old Beretta but that is unclear. It seems that most large police and sheriff departments are issued firearms and ammunition for no charge. Smaller departments may allow the officers to chose their own weapon. I think it depends on each department and their normal operating procedure. By the way, my son's agency is changing from 9mm to .40 cal because they are feeling "out gunned". If the police are concerned, I think it is wise that we be vigilant as well. As it has been aptly said, "I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy"! And, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away". YMMV:wavey:

4. picturethis

picturethis

I wanted to post this in the cop talk section on here, but it won't let me start a thread there since I am too new. I'm sure a lot of cops are not "gun guys", so they will obviously take the cheapest available option. Basically I am wondering how many gun guys still choose a Glock for their job, or do most gun guys spend big money on a Kimber or something high end like that. Is Glock #1 based on money alone, or do most cops really think they are the best thing out there?

5. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Well I would say it has to due with no external safety as well. Which opens another debate, good or bad.

Though I've never heard of that...seems logical.

-Cody

6. picturethis

picturethis

I'd assume a Glock would be a very easy gun for a new shooter to learn on. No safety to think about. It's basically idiot proof. Point, pull the trigger, repeat.

7. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

We are issued glock 22's. In my experience there are more "gun guy" officers than not. In my opinion a Glock is the best pistol for duty use..period, regardless of price. We recently got new gen III's with rails and were offered the option to buy our old ones. The majority bought theirs back.

8. nmleo431

nmleo431

Glock does make outstanding offers to Law Enforcement Departments and Individual Officer for Purchases. My department started using Glocks back in 1997, Glock 22 and 23's. The department went glocks for several reasons, price, weight, magazine capacity, reliability, easy of maintanence, and easy in which to train officers with the new weapon. We switched from smith and wesson 10mm, 1006 with adjustable sights. From 1997 to 2009 we did not have a single weapon failure, replace any parts or magazines. Our magazines began to get torn up from qualifications and the trijicon night sites had began to dim. New glock 22/23's were purchases costing less money for new guns than to replace 3 magazines and night sites per gun. By maintaining the glock pistols my department did not have to purchase new holster or transition to a new weapon system. My department did test a smith and wesson M&P 40 and the officers prefered the smith over the glock. The decision to remain with glock was due to reliability and funding. Out of 30 glocks only 6 were returned for new glocks, officers opted to purchase their old weapons.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

Because of their reliability, functionality, and durability. As an administrator, I know I can plan on any quality gun lasting a long time. Cost is far from an issue. I want guns that work right every time, that are inexpensive to maintain or repair, and with excellent factory support. That's why we choose glock. That's why more law enforcement agencies choose glock than any other single make. They are the best for law enforcement. Departments generally pay between 350 and 400 per gun. YMMV.

10. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Most departments will either issue the firearm or provide a list of approved weapons.
    There are many reasons Glocks are on this list:

1. Cost.
    2. Reliability
    3. Ease of use (single trigger pull, no external safety)
    4. Availability of parts/armorers.

Glocks are great duty guns. Hi capacity, light weight, reliable. Are they the "best"? I dunno, that's too subjective of a term... some people might prefer the grip angle or trigger of another gun.

11. picturethis

picturethis

I was either told some bs, or you guys are getting a raw deal. I was told that some departments will order them in 500 or 1000 gun quantity and they would end up paying less than 100$ per gun when all is said and done. Glock would actually lose money on them, but they got the recognition and "advertising" that they are looking for. I'm sure it is different depending on the department and the circumstances.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Less than $100 per Glock is BS.

13. picturethis

picturethis

It sounded too good to be true to me, so I assumed as much.

14. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale too..

15. mikey777

mikey777

definitely bs. we, 200 man dept., went to 22s and 23s about 10 years ago, cost was bout $440, including night sights. no night sights was $398.:cool:

16. picturethis

picturethis

I'm not a cop, so like I said it was hearsay, not facts. I guess that's what I get for ASSuming. :wavey:

17. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

You are correct. Glocks are idiot proof. Apparently that's Glock's target market. :0

18. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

Not nice, but funny! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I cop I know just got a brand new Glock G22 for about 325 bucks, only a couple of months ago. Does that answer the question? But of course, he was required to buy only a Glock by the department.

Even when the department buys the guns and gives them to the guys for free, do you think your local government would take the cheap deal on 2,000 Glocks, or pay twice as much for Sig's? and if they bought the more expensive guns,... they'd explain this to the voters,...... how exactly?

I know cops on small town departments who are allowed to carry whatever they want, and get no help paying for it. Almost none of them carry Glocks. Steel Sigs are popular with most of them, as are older Browning HP's - both guns well proven to work when you need them to.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  20. dosei

dosei

Very, VERY few departments (if any) allow their LEO's to just buy whatever firearm the individual wants.

A police officer is either:
    A) Issued a firearm
    or
    B) Allowed to select a firearm from a short list

This is because:
    A) Firearms are serviced by the departments armorer...and a lot of the armorers cannot service every make/model firearm in existence. That would require the armorer to constantly be away at armorer courses instead of in working on weapons.
    B) Different weapons work differently and the ideal "training/technique" for one gun is not the same as another gun. Example...being trained to always sweep the safety off with your thumb and to "ride the safety" with your thumb works great on 1911's, but cannot be done on a Glock, Sig, etc. Departments like to train for one "manual of arms", so commonality of weapons is critical.

For departments that issue weapons, they know that they can get excellent price breaks for ordering in large quantities...and that only works when your ordering ONE make/model gun.

Yes, Glock has given departments/agencies very attractive price breaks. Combine that with the fact that the Glock is a very inexpensive pistol to begin with (I say "is" because it still is inexpensive...to make...) and you have have some really attractive bids coming from Glock. I have not doubt that Glock gave some of the bigger departments/agencies some really sweet deals. Not so much to stimulate non-LEA sales, but rather to stimulate more sales to other LEA's since the smaller LEA's often just copy what the bigger LEA's do/buy...catch the biggest fish in the pond and the rest jump in your boat on their own (or, if we want to be biblical about it...sway the hot one and the brainless dicks will follow). Boosting non-LEA sales is just the icing on the cake.