close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rear Wheel swingarm stands

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Lone Wolff, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

Any recomendations on brands?
    Certain features to look for?

I won't be doing a lot of serious maintanence, but my bike does not have a center stand and I was looking at getting a swingarm stand to do minor things like chain adjustmens, etc.

Not looking to spend hundreds as that would probably be overkill, but I don't want to waste my money on a cheap POS either. I'm looking to spend at most ~$100.

I want simple, but reliable and effective.

I'm looking at these two right now:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Vortex_Rear_Stand--53-VORT-1.html
    [​IMG]

http://steelhorsefab.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

2. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

what kind of bike, and do you have spools? I recomend Pit Bull stands, these is model that offer spools or standard, you just have to switch the lifter feet around.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There are lots of brands, but the Pit Bull seems to be a favorite. It's what BMW uses for their own shops and race teams (Boxer Cup, Power Cup).

4. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

Pit Bull is up at the top.

I only have experience using the swingarm stands on sportbikes. Definetly get a rear stand with spools.

A friend of mine had a Lockhart Phillips with just the tabs like the bottom picture. His exhaust can would get creased if he didn't carefully position the stand. Also, when he was really cranking on something while the bike was up the bike would slide around on the tabs.

A lot of times the spooled stands are a little more plus you have to buy spools for the bike but they are much easier.

All the talk about certain stands being a one-person stand is BS. Every one I've used is a one-person stand. You just have to put a little tension on the arm and then move around to the back of the bike and balance the bike at the tail of the bike.

When you drop the bike just make sure the kickstand is down and when the back tire hits push the tail toward the kickstand side while keeping tension on the rear stand.

5. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I've got a Yamaha cruiser.

From doing a little more research it looks like the Pitbull stand may be the best option. Especially if I use it on different bike in the future that is spooled, I can just get different top supports. Looks like spending the few extra bucks would be worth it.

6. adamgh81

adamgh81

7. BCM

BCM

Check out any classifieds that are listed on any local m/c racing org's. in your area, WERA, CCS, Mid Alantic or others, LRRSRacing there is always someone selling stands to fund their racing addiction or getting out of racing, if you don't need to buy new, you can find them 1/2 new price on slightly used stand, that is unless your going to display the bike. Look for a front stand that is hinged and lifts from the lower triple rather than lower fork tubes, almost one handed. Check out Woodcraft. The Pitbull(front) that you lift a handle with the pin in the triple, slide the main frame under is kind of awkward(I have one) and don't like it. Also go if you know anyone with them, try them if you can, some are more ergo than others

8. Twisted10

Twisted10

if you're looking for inexpensive, www.redlinestands.com

i have a 2 brothers rear and a redline front, seems to work fine.

9. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

The Cycle Cat is absolutly the best stand I have ever used. It is absolutly effortless to get the bike up and down with it.

10. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I have both the Pitbull (my favorite and worth every penny) and one of the LP "tabbed" stand. Both me and my wifes bikes are spooled but I don't like adjusting the pitbull each time I use it on a different bike. I use the LP one for lubing the chain only, any real maint and I use the spools and the Pitbull. I look at it this way if you use an inferior stand and drop the bike you'll wish you spent the few $$ extra for the good one. The pitbull is adjustable and you should be able to use it forever on any bike you own.

11. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

not to hijack the thread, but BCM do you run LRRS and CCS? and if so were you at VIR a few weeks ago for the CCS/ASRA weekend?

12. BCM

BCM

Well I used to run at LRRS, I had a nasty getoff a little over a yr ago, and as I get older(48), I am a bit, shall we say, gunshy about racing again, still have the race bike, all my bikes(28 and counting) I plan to use it for track days and maybe do 1 or 2 race weekends this yr, its registered for the street, but NHIS was the only place I raced, but I've gone to alot of AMA events as a spectator in the last 7 yrs.

13. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Since you've got a cruiser, and won't have to worry about damaging any bodywork under the frame rails, you might want to consider getting a Craftsman (or equivalent) lift. The lift will allow you to get both wheels off the ground for changing tires. Even if you don't change tires yourself, most shops won't charge as much for mounting if you bring just the wheels in.

ETA: You can find the Craftsman lift on sale pretty regulary for around $70. I've had mine for over a year, and the majority of that time it's had a bike on it.