Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a glock 19. I am about to send my slide off and get it milled for a red dot. I am not sure if I want the vortex viper or the venom however with the venom they are telling me the rear sight has to be in front of the red dot. So what do you think or what do you prefer? The viper or the venom and the rear sight in front or behind the red dot?
Thanks in advance (if you attach pics bonus points!)

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Every set-up I've seen has had the sight behind the red dot. So I'd be rear sight, red dot and front sight.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys so the Viper they said the rear sight can go behind but the viper you have to take off to replace the battery and I am worried about having to zero it again so I wanted to go with the venom. However, they are saving because it's taller and longer that the sight has to go in front of the red dot and I am not sure if id like that or not... Ugh what to do. What to do

·
Banned
45,580 Posts

·
AAAMAD
36,130 Posts
Thanks guys so the Viper they said the rear sight can go behind but the viper you have to take off to replace the battery and I am worried about having to zero it again so I wanted to go with the venom. However, they are saving because it's taller and longer that the sight has to go in front of the red dot and I am not sure if id like that or not... Ugh what to do. What to do

Zeroing a pistol dot, is pretty quick.

RMR's are probably the most common pistol RDS and they are bottom mount batteries as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I run a viper and I have never had to rezero the sight on a battery change. Once you sights are set you lock them down. There are positioning pins in all plates and any decent slide cut which ensures repeated perfect placement of the sight. Don’t worry about re zero at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rear sight behind the red dot. All your training has been to pickup the rear sight as you present your weapon. Do not throw that away. The rear sight helps lead your eye to the dot. You are much slower finding the dot if you have no reference to help get the gun aligned to your eye. If you can get a good co-witness the dot will be sitting just above or on top of the front sight. With the irons in their normal position you are not relearning anything. I have carried an RMR'ed pistol for 6 years as my EDC and the whole idea of having the sight in front of the red dot is just garbage, in my opinion.

·
Transform & Win
3,351 Posts
@babue nailed it

I’d definitely opt for the rear iron sight at the standard location on the pistol and behind the RDS. Zeroing the RDS isn’t a big deal, especially if you have a good pair of tall suppressor co-witness sights for a starting reference (the lower mounting height of the Viper is well suited for BUIS). I don’t know the expected battery life for the Viper but I believe it can be turned off to conserve power. The Trijicon RMR RM07 on my EDC G30 easily runs 2 years on a CR2032 3v battery. I usually change it annually just to be safe.

If you’ve trained with hundreds or thousands of presentations on iron sights in the standard positions, it makes the transition to an optic much easier. Rather than hunting around for the red dot in the window, which frustrates many new RDS owners, use the iron sights as always and the red dot will appear naturally. If the optic happens to fail or you want to turn off the RDS and drill with BUIS only, it makes more sense to have the iron sights at the longer sight radius and familiar locations.

·
MacGyver
10,004 Posts
I have both ways. Tactically (as rec by a pro house clearing trainer), it is recommended to have the sight mounted in front: it protects the optic from frontal blows in contact situation, and gives purchase to rack the slide, while moving that tiny glass closer to your face.

I have not found a difference in functional performance in terms of the sight being front or back, and shooting with the RDS. Remember that the RDS is now your primary sights, and you have to transition and train to use those, rather than sight trailing off the irons each time, which builds a different set of behavioral reflexes.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Behind for me. If I had to use the iron sights for some reason, I find the RS much harder to pick up having to look through the RD window. Based on my experience and many reviews, I don't worry about damage to or racking the slide with the Triji RMR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I think my mind is made up and I'll get the viper and out my rear sight behind the red dot.. If only the rmr would go on sale maybe i could justify it or wait till black friday sales come out. However its nice having a larger clear window.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also run my rear ironsite behind my RMR. I have a friend who had his in front of his RMR and swore by it. I shot his Glock 19 with RMR many times when I was trying to decide to go with a RDS and I found the picture to be a bit distracting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.