Rear ended, high mileage. How to decide if it's worth fixing?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sharpshooter, Sep 14, 2018.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

How do I determine if I should use insurance money to repair my car vs pocket the $$ and sell/junk it?

2012 Honda Accord
    190,000 miles (mostly highway)
    VG condition, runs great
    $4000 in rear end damage (bumper, trunk, lights, etc)
    Est local value before accident is $5k-$8k.

I have an offer for $1k as is. Plus $4k insurance. I was planning on driving it into the ground but it's already pretty high mileage, would be nice to put the $$ towards something newer and start over.

UPDATE: Turns out it's a total loss afterall, my insurance is sending payment for $8k. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. JMS

JMS 02

Get rid of it. 50% of top value.

TBO, Glockdude1 and jimcorbin like this.

3. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

That's a tough decision. A lady I know had her Subaru stolen and wrecked. Geiko insurance decided to repair it. She was told when she traded it in that it should have been junked. If the frame isn't bent maybe fix it, otherwise I'd sell it outright and buy something newer with low miles. YMMV. tom.

4. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

I got rear ended in my 23 yr old BMW 2 years ago; Big Name Dealership bodyshop said repair exceeds value. I submitted a different quote and got a nice fat TAX FREE check. The car is not very bad at all but I have not fixed it. I will get around to that some day.
    Just cash the check. End of story.

5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Rear ended? Better call Saul, and you'll be riding in a Rolls Royce by the end of the week!! Doesn't your back and neck hurt??

OGW, pgg00, Glockdude1 and 3 others like this.
  6. Adjuster

Adjuster

Frame damage? Check out your local U-Pull-It type of place. If a donor car is readily available the parts should be very cheap and I might try to save it. Any difficulties at all take the money and get rid of it. If you have the space/time/know how you may want to part it out yourself.

/

Random likes this.
  7. CAcop

CAcop

I have heard insurance agencies tend to go with 70% of value.

8. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

Take the insurance money, sell the remaining parts for the extra $1K, and move on. Even if you are able to fix it-it will never be the same again. I bet if you walk around the car you will notice that body lines, or gaps, between adjacent panels have moved. The ENTIRE car is damaged, not just where it was hit. These cars are designed to take hits and basically crush in on themselves. They intentionally make the structures out of thinner gauge steel so that the car closes in on itself like an accordion. For that reason, I would never fix a vehicle that has had a serious impact. Though it can be made to "look" right.. Unless all of the underbody, or unit-body, or uni-body, is fixed, it is NOT the same. Just let it go. Even if you fixed it, youd' now have a 190K vehicle that should have been totaled. It's not worth it.

OGW, deputy tom and light-switch like this.
  9. WT

WT Millennium Member

My neck and back hurts just reading this. My eyes are tearing.

Contact a lawyer. You are an innocent victim. You should be compensated for your losses, pain and suffering.

10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Lawyer up, then pocket some cash and say good bye to that car.
    If it's totalled, it will never sell for market value.
    People expect that repairs will still result in wobbles and troubles.

11. OXMYX

OXMYX

Take the check, fix it and keep rolling. Don't subsidize the auto industry.

Used 3 year old Accord LX's, lease returns, are around $17,000 with 25,000 miles.
    That's 19,000 TTL.

New ones are 26,000 TTL

12. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

How hard was the car hit? My CRX got hit while parked on the street at somewhere near that mileage. I had to replace the rear bumper plastic and 1 tail light. Can't remember if I claimed it or not, but I did have an 'insurance' shop do the work. The fit was never completely right, and I never really cared.

When I redid the suspension a few years later, could not find anything significantly tweaked in the frame. Car has 277k on it now. Turned 30 this year.

I think this is mainly about whether or not you want to keep the car.

13. sharpshooter

I got a free 5-min phone consultation with a personal injury lawyer. They said my lower back pain (soft tissue, muscular, no official diagnosis by my Dr) isn't serious enough of an injury to make representation worthwhile. They could get me a settlement but it's too small. If my pain persists or if I have a diagnosed "real" injury then call them back.

janice6 likes this.
  14. OXMYX

OXMYX

You have to rack up some big bills first, then the lawyers get real helpful.
    Normally the insurance company will pay for the bills so you wont be out any money. $5,000 in medical bills won't raise an eyebrow, 15-20,000 may get their attention.

15. sharpshooter

Pretty good, I was stopped in stop-n-go highway traffic and was hit by a pickup truck going fast enough to skid pretty good before impacting. Pushed me into the car in front of me but my front bumper looked ok.

I don't know if there's frame damage. Waiting to get an itemized list of damage from the insurance assessor.

16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Go to a real doctor ASAP, the clock is running.
    Your painful injury might not show up until later (my back went out 5 months after an accident)

YMMV but I think you have 14 days to seek medical attention in Florida before losing ability to sue. Don't talk to insurance company's doctor until you have been examined by your doctor (who might not find anything except your reported pain) and consulted your lawyer (who might not bother to take the case). The opposing lawyer will be eager to see you walk in feeling fine ASAP before you claim pain and suffering and lost wages.

If your lawyer does take your case, he might also take about a third of your settlement, so you might just get some free advice from a couple of lawyers without hiring any of them. Especially if your doctor finds nothing injured.

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

[​IMG]

:cool:

FullClip likes this.
  18. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

A few people have said "frame damage"

Does this car have a frame????

pgg00, deputy tom and BamaBud like this.
  19. sharpshooter

I saw my Dr the day after the accident. He said it's most likely just muscles tensing up and spasming, hot/cold press, ibuprofin. Said it will likely get worse after a few days but it's prob just minor.

Bruce M likes this.
  20. sharpshooter

Update: It's a total loss afterall, just got the call from my insurance, they're sending payment for $8k. I guess that settles things! Thanks for all the ideas!

R.B. Riddick and Ross-in-Pa like this.